• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Popping when engaging pedal

SkyhighRocks

Just received an HBE Power Screamer and it absolutely rips through my DSL. I read the manual on it and know about the possible popping when engaging the pedal due to the true bypass circuit. My question is...is there anything that can be done mod-wise to lessen or lose the pop?

csills

yeah, rewire it so instead of true bypass theres a buffer in it. but you dont really want that, do you?

no one will notice the popping but you.

SkyhighRocks

I can deal with it...but it is pretty loud when not playing. I can always use my volume pedal between songs if I need to.

charmboy

Usually with pedals that pop, if you click the switch a few times when you first use the pedal for a session, the popping should stop or lessen.

You can also get a true-bypass looper (with a buffer in it) [like the Carl Martin Octa-Switch] - so you can leave the pedal on and you can just have to engage the loop, which, if done right, won't pop.

stinkfoot

It could be the pedal itself (in which case it will usually let up once it has been switched on/off a couple of times), but it could just as well be another pedal or the amp itself leaking DC voltage into the signal. The physical action of the true bypass switch then becomes the place where that DC voltage is dumped in/out of the circuit (causing the pop), but it's not the pedal itself that is the root problem.

Try isolating the HBE from the amp, using a buffered or active pedal between it and the amp (guitar -> HBE -> Boss pedal or other pedal turned on -> amp). If the pop goes away, the amp's input capacitor is leaking DC voltage, or some pedal you had in front of the HBE was leaky. Try the chain you had originally, but turn the pedal immediately in front of the HBE on (or add a Boss type pedal there). If that clears the pop up, something upstream from the HBE is leaking.

/Andreas

Trending Topics

Top Bottom