• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pops and clicks when people start walking around

geetarplayer

Hi. I just nailed down the symptoms of an issue I've had from time to time when playing in church. I play a VG Strat through an AX8 - direct to FOH. I've lately noticed that I get snaps, crackles and pops when I unmute everything, but only during Communion, as people start walking around the room. This last Sunday, it happened during the first service, so I did a little troubleshooting in the 2nd service. Before everyone got out of their seats, I had guitar vol up, AX8 vol up, and was not touching anything on the guitar - just letting it hang on my shoulder. No noise. As soon as people started standing up and walking around the room, the noise started. I quickly turned down ONLY the guitar volume, and it stopped. So it's coming from the guitar, not the AX8.

I'm on a raised wooden stage, and the crowd is on carpet.

So, it seems it is some kind of static electricity? And come to think of it, this hasn't happened for a few months, so I believe in the summer, with higher humidity, the problem went away.

I'm going to try to reproduce it here at home... not sure if I'll be able to. If so, then I'll try another guitar and see if that does it.

In the meantime - any ideas on what this could be? Something with the pickups? Grounding? Cable?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Tom

fitz

I'm on a raised wooden stage, and the crowd is on carpet. So, it seems it is some kind of static electricity?

I think you may already have your answer. It may not be easily duplicated due to the environment, but I chased this exact problem years ago with a Hamer Artist with humbuckers years ago. As Strat will definitely amplify this more than a HB guitar as well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom