Porcupine Tree tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SFW, Jun 4, 2008.

1. SFW

SFW Member

Ok.... what combo amo will cop that thick PT tone for under $1300? I know that they use the Hot Cat, but I really don't have the budget for that right now. So I have to "wing it." I need that thick, chunky dirty tone along with a nice shimmering clean sound. What are my options?

2. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Fender + OD of your choice.

4. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

SW has been running his amp clean live and using a bad cat xtreme tone pedal -- I'd look into getting the nicest clean tube amp your budget can allow and then add the bad cat pedal for the bad cat sound.

5. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

really? so he is using the pedal for his distortion?

I thought he was using a badcat hot cat amp for this.

6. digital jams

digital jams Member

NOthing to add but good to see a Porcupine Tree thread here!

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

he uses the lynx now but used the hot cat for a while. the best thing to do is to email john wesley. (the 2nd guitarist). ive done it before. he was very responsive and told me a lot about their setup. (pick up his CD "sliver" as well. its killer)

check out this thread
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=300156&page=3

john posts about their gear there. seems the bad cat pedal is used for solos. Can get much more reliable information that the guy that shares the stage with him every night.

i do agree that a nice clean or semi dirty amp (fender/marshall flavor) and a bad cat x-treme tone will get you pretty close

8. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

John mentions in that thread that Steve's can't live without pedal is the Carl Martin compressor.

9. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

I would say find a nice EL34 amp that's got some pleasing clean tones and add the X-treme tone pedal. FWIW, that pedal at some point had some popping issues when clicking the switches, maybe on some older ones? Pretty sure Bad Cat fixes it for free if you send it in though.

That'll get you closest to that sound. I'd stick with a 50 watt or less single channel amp.

10. boltino

boltino Member

+1 John is awesome. I've been listening to Shiver a bunch lately. Great stuff!

11. Goldwing

Goldwing Member

Could a Hiwatt custom 50 + a BadCat 2-tone give the distortion rhythm sounds?

I think its the hardest to achieve. The solos can be obtained by using the Boss DS-1 or a Rat...

12. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

not sure if the 2-tone has the gain the xtreme tone has. but a hiwatt/extremetone would, besides sounding amazing, work really well for a convinceable porcupine tree tone

13. Goldwing

Goldwing Member

14. buchla300

buchla300 Member

He mentioned that often he goes straight into the desk and uses modelling plugins in the studio

15. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i cant listen to the clip here, but ive played both in person (and actually dont hate the ds-1) and they are NOTHING alike. not even close

16. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Get a Fender Tweed Bassman 410.
    Get the best Tube Screamer type OD you can find.
    I like the BB Preamp by Xotic, or the Gristle King by
    TC Jauernig. *(Well...someone else makes them these days...cant remember who owns them now. Either way...GREAT PEDAL).

Or get the new Fender Super...with built in OD channel.

Great cleans, GREAT OD with either amp.

S>
    j

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  17. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I just got a Lynx. It's quite a chameleon, covers many gain ranges and different EQ styles.

If you want that tone on the cheap, the X-Treme tone pedals really sound great.

18. Goldwing

Goldwing Member

I trust you word really. But for me it sounds close enough. I wont forget that SW used an "old boss distortion" so it could it be a TurboDistortion an Os-2 or a DS-1. I've tried myself the OS-2 and it gets really close to the modern hi-gain rhythm sounds of PT guitars..

19. Goldwing

Goldwing Member

I've seen the incident tour a few weeks back. I can tell for sure that JWesley was using a nova system and a VintageFx COlordrive in his pedalboard. The Wah of SWilson seems to me like an old standard CryBaby, maybe the Classic one.

Collin was using a Gig-rig and only EBS pedals, amps and Cabs.. sounded great!!