Porsche as a daily driver?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by BadAssBill, Mar 16, 2015.

1. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I'm probably going to be giving my wife the SUV and get a corvette or Porsche boxster. While they are very different cars, I have no doubt the Vette can be a daily driver.
    I've owned a Vette, and realistically every car fan should own a Porsche. My concern is budget and it's ability to be a daily driver. We have a lot of trips planned this year, so I'm going to probably be looking at a 2006 to 2008 boxster.
    If anyone can give me their opinions on their car and if they used it as a daily driver.

Thanks!

2. dcbc

dcbc Member

A friend of mine was considering a Boxster years ago. I suggested to him that he would be happier with an older 911. He ultimately bought a 1980 911sc for about $16K and it has been largely trouble free for the nine years he has owned it. Still on the original clutch at 120k miles. The trick with the old SCs is to use them. So drive it and drive it some more.

3. wharris

wharris Member

Absolutely great daily drivers. The comment about using them is dead on. Letting it sit in the garage waiting for special occasions to drive causes problems with moisture developing in fuel and oil lines. Those cars are made to be driven daily and are are way over engineered for how most of use them. A Porsche USA engineer once told me that the best thing you can so for those cars is to drive them hard.

4. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

The key is to buy the newest porsche you can afford. Personally I wouldnt get a boxter. The 911 is a much better platform, and the cayman is amazing. Daily driver, absolutely. I've got a 1991 carrera 2 (911), and it's got 180k on it. It is now primarily a track monster, but still "street legal". I would stay away from the 1999-2004 911, get a 2006-2009 911. Or a cayman of the same vintage.

Go to rennlist.com and do your research whichever model you buy. They all have issues.

5. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Supporting Member

Bought an 06 911 a month ago after wondering about that same question. Been driving it everyday (daily driver with a 30 mile commute) and couldn't be happier. I got a really clean, low mileage example, had a pre purchase inspection done and plan on getting an after market warranty (just to cover anything unexpected and for piece of mind). They are extremely reliable cars, but are expensive when repairs are needed. Know that going in, and then drive the heck out of it. They are amazing cars.

6. Macleod

Macleod Member

I like my '85 911. Not a daily driver, but pretty much trouble free since 2007. Need to drive it more, for sure.

here's a good place to be asking Porsche questions. Best Porsche forum, period.
    Everyone with a P-car should be here.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

You'll want one of these...

[​IMG]

:sarcasm

milli vanilli likes this.
  8. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Silver Supporting Member

I drove a '80 911sc Targa every day for a few years in the early 90s with only complaint being the A/C couldn't keep up with New Orleans summers. Great fun car.

9. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

My 993 is from 1996 and just two yrs. ago needed its first a/c recharge after five summers in AZ. No more reliable car in the world than a 993. It's been almost completely trouble free for 13 yrs.

10. Strugs

Strugs Member

Had a 1988 Carrera and drove it daily for five years (2006 to 2011) with regular maintenance - zero problems. Pretty incredible for a 20+ year old car. Sold it and got into a 2002 Carrera and have been driving it daily again with zero problems for the past 4 years. Even though they are the same models, they are two totally different cars. If you want creature comforts and dizzying straigh ahead speed, get a newer one, but if you want to feel like you are in an authentic race car, get an older one. Wish I could have kept both.

One of the previous replies recommended getting a Cayman instead of a Boxster. They are essentially the same vehicle. The only difference is that the Boxster is a convertible. Personally I would have bought a Boxster or a Cayman instead of the Carrera but since I have two young girls that I need to chauffeur around I needed the rear seats. Yes a Porsche can be a family car!

11. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Thanks much everyone. I like the looks of the Cayman...but I can't take not having a sunroof/removable top of some sort. It's a must have. I'd like a 911 obviously, but the repair bills on those seem like they would be more than a boxster...apples to apples. I'm not a speed demon, so having a newer car than handling a corner better is probably more important to me right now.
    There are a few fine examples of Porsches around locally, including one owned by a Porsche tech. Yummy.

12. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

When I was relocating, I had to sell our cars, and my boss loaned us her new Boxster for about 2 months. While it looks like a Porsche, it is one in name only, to a large extent. If you like the idea of a tiny 2-person car that is affordable and sporty, it delivers.

13. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Nah, not the Boxster. They are great cars but had some issues that could be really pricey to repair.... I had a 2000 Boxster S that I sold because of the potential cost. An 80s Carrera would be a much better choice, but now the prices of those are through the roof.

Go to Pelican and check out the RMS issues and the intermediate shaft prob. I think they finally fixed it, but it took long enough. A Vette, while there are a zillion of them on the road, are easier and cheaper to work on. :YinYang

14. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

I bought my wife a '06 Boxster S that was her daily driver for a few years and 15k miles. It was a great car and she misses it.

15. scott944

scott944 Member

Um, no. Yes, some Boxters were built in Finland, but the engineering and development was all Porsche. Hell, the early Boxter and concurrent 911 were virtually the same car from the windshield forward.

16. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I dunno about that. If you don't do your own work, any shop you go to is gonna charge you the same hourly rate, whether it's a Boxster or a 911. Parts prices are about the same for both. A 911 will chew up rear tires a little faster, holds more oil than a Boxster, but they're otherwise about the same in the maint. and repairs dept. If you've always wanted a 911, that's not gonna change by getting a Boxster. Get the car that's gonna make not lust for other cars.

17. mikebat

mikebat Member

Boxsters are great cars. Great performance, lots of smiles. Huge storage in the trunks.

The maintenance is the same, Boxster or 911. They share MANY parts. The ones the do not, cost relatively the same.

As for folks who say it is not a real Porsche, that old prejudice does not make sense at any level. Speedster, 904, 906, 914, GT1, LMP, 918. Mid engine two seaters have been in the companies DNA since before the 911, and since, both on the street and at the track.

Drive a Boxster on the track, you will see. There is no denying the fact that a 911 has earned iconic status, they are simply awesome. The 911 has that famous pendulum effect and traction out of the corners beyond compare, but other configurations (928, 944 etc) have their benefits too. Turn in, stability etc.

And if one was to crap on the Boxster and yet say the Cayman is acceptable....come on. They are the same car, one with a roof, the other without.

18. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

I drove a Cayman almost every day for a year with zero problems.

Maintain it, and get on the Porsche owner forums so you know what to expect.

19. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

My 2007 Cayman is my (summer) daily driver. A pleasure. Wide torque band- almost "luggable" (I didn't say that...). Trunk in the front AND back! I take it to the feed store to get chicken and dog food.

And as a bonus- I can take it down to Watkins Glen for DE and have a real blast!

At my "advanced age" I can see that being able to get in and out will be about the only reason I'll ever sell it.

20. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

Quintessential TGP. Almost a parody.

rangerkarlos and voltner like this.