Port City 112OS vs. a closed back 212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluntage, Jun 11, 2008.

1. bluntage

bluntage Member

Currently, I have my Orange Rockerverb 50 head running into a Lopo 212 closed back cabinet with V30s. It sounds alright but historically I have used open back cabs and I can't help but feel it's missing something. Additionally, I am looking to keep the weight/size down as much as possible. Enter the Port City Wave cabs... best of both open and closed back worlds?

How does the Port City 112OS compare to a standard closed back 212? I'm thinking the 112OS would sit under the head perfectly, be lighter, and sound just as big, if not bigger than my Lopo. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks,
    Brad

2. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I did a shoot out yesterday with my OS 1x12 and a scumback loaded 4x12 and the PC cab sounded more open and dispersed the sound better, had plenty of thump too. The 4x12 was still louder, of course, but it was close. Also, the 4x12 was more directional.The OS 1x12 had a nicely broken in Mesa branded C90 in it.

3. bluntage

bluntage Member

Oddly enough, it was a couple of your posts that have me thinking of the PC 112OS! Ha!

:BEER

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have a PC OS 1x12 with an ASW 70 hz speaker. Compared to a THD with 2 G12-65s the THD is a little bit louder but is not as detailed as the PC. The PC is still pretty loud compared to a normal 1x12 (I used the 12" in my King Cobra combo), better dispersion, and more natural bottom end. The highs don't kill you, but there is plenty of slice, though nothing is harsh.

I almost don't see a need for a 2x12 PC unless you really need the volume. With my Carol-Ann 50 watter, the tone is to die for. The amp just sings through that cab, amazing tone. Plenty for most gigs and it sounds great with the master turned way down. The ASW speaker is truly amazing in that cab. I can turn up the amp a bit more and get the speaker working and it really fills a room up.

I'm going to order another empty OS tomorrow as I have another ASW laying around.

5. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

I have two 1x12 OS and they are just perfect. No need to look any further if you are already thinking about PC ;)

6. bluntage

bluntage Member

Thanks for the input, guys. I contacted Port City today with a couple of questions and got a response from Daniel in nothing flat! That's always a good sign of the service you can expect!

:D

7. Jason Myers

Jason Myers Member

I've known Dan for years and he is a great guy. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

8. pdouds

pdouds Member

I Have Been Thinking Of Going To A Pc 2-12 Because I Am Using A Mix Of A Celestion 1265, And A Scumback. Their 2-12 Cab Looks About The Size Of A Thd Cab, But Way More Bottom End, Right?