Port City 1x12 OS with an EVM12L

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by m3g, Jun 29, 2008.

1. m3g

m3g Member

Has anyone tried a PC cab with the EVM12L??? Please share your thoughts.

2. m3g

m3g Member

anyone???

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Hey, just found this thread. I have 3 PC cabs and I have an EV Classic in an OS 1x12. Sounds killer, I use it with my Carol-Ann Tucana. Very tight bass, nice mids and the highs are very clear, but not harsh.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  4. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Good ported Cab w/EV-- mmmmm 2 is even better. IMHO--Not many styles that can't be covered.

Throw on a Beambocker and quit agonizing over cabs---Play, practice, gig

5. GAT

I don't use a beam blocker, these PC cabs don't "beam" like others. They really sound the same out front.

I also have a 2x12 OS with ASW speakers and another OS 1x12 with the ASW. They all sound great. I used to hate 1x12 cabs, they sounded small and boxy, and I owned a bunch. The PC 1x12s sound big like a good 2x12 and the 2x12 sounds like a 4x12.

6. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Sorry bud, speakers "beam", not cabs. IMHO, physics (and my ears, soundmen and audiences) dictate that I use Beamblockers for live gigs at the minimum.

I've been in the laser-beam of trebles for the last time, my audience deserves the same consideration. THD, Egnater and other manufactures are finally offering their own treble-spreading ideas.

Years ago, David Hicks (Guitar Player columnist) sold a plastic lens-type speaker treble diffuser. Mesa even advertises their heavier grillcloths as treble "absorbers".

Back to the original post-- EV's, ported cabs, and Beamblockers are MY solution. I've tried, purchased MANY other combinations, keep coming back to this set for around 150-200 wildly varied gigs per year. Best wishes in your quest.

7. GAT

What I was referring to is the front swooping thing acts like a beam blocker on the 1x12s. I've played the PC cabs on about 10 gigs now, no complaints from soundmen using 50-80 watt amps. All my other cabs required a Clearsonic to tame the beaming, but I haven't used one since I went to the PC cabs. YMMV.

8. eliot1025

eliot1025 Supporting Member

The PCW cabs sound great with every speaker I've put in them. My EVM12L has tons of bass so you may not need an OS cab for that speaker. But you'll probably need some beam diffusing device with it - that's a very beamy speaker.