• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Port City 2x12 vs 2x12 OS?

cander328

I have a Port City 2x12 OS and although it is a nice cab there just seems to be a bit to much low end for the way I like to setup my Two Rock CRS (I am not a high gain player). I am considering a trade for a non-OS 2x12 but would like to hear from someone who has had both. Is the bass response less pronounced on the non OS? What are some of the other sonic differences between the 2? Am I just better off going in a completely different direction for a 2x12 such as the TR Sig 2x12?

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
I prefer the PC standard 2x12 for "D" influenced amps. I own both cabs. The OS has too much bass for non-metal applications IMO. I use the OS with my Mesa MKIII

synergyscott

I auditioned the OS 2x12 against the standard. The OS with Celestion G12H's had too much bass, but it was "bigger" than the standard with Greenbacks. However, the Greenbacks are a low wattage speaker, so it sounded tiny with my Bogner XTC101B. I am wondering if I were to try a different speaker in the 2x12 standard, if I'd be closer to I want to be.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but this thread is the closest I could find to the info I'm looking for. So I'll bump it!

I play classic rock/hard rock/modern rock but not metal. I use clean and overdrive but I'm in high gain mode a lot too. Heads are a VHT 50ST, a Mesa Tremoverb or a CAA PT50. I want my 2x12 cab to have a decent tight bass response but also not be quite so directional like many closed back cabs are. For example, my Recto 4x12 is extremely directional. I'd like to disperse the sound just a little while still retaining the hard rock response. Will the regular PC 2x12 get you there, or does it have to be the OS to get a big sound and disperse the sound a bit?

For reference, I do have an Avatar 2x12 with the oval back and V30/G12H30 combo. It's OK, but I'm not blown away by it.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
The regular PC2x12 will get you there. The OS cab seems to disappear when you walk 6-10' in front of it IMO.

OliverGuitars

It just dependson the amp and speakers. But I have a 112 Wave and a 212 Wave Cab,but I have played the OS versions of both. The bass will be more in your face for sure. But a 112 Wave OS would sound awesome with a D-styled amp I bet.

So I would either get a regular 212 cab, or a 112 Wave OS cab.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I'll probably get the regular 2x12. Gotta sound bigger than my Avatar Special 2x12, right? I also have the larger Mesa 4x12 which is cool but 1) it's huge and 2) it's very directional.

Amp heads are a VHT 50ST, Mesa Tremoverb and a CAA PT50.

I like the new look better than the old style but both are cool.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
It just dependson the amp and speakers. But I have a 112 Wave and a 212 Wave Cab,but I have played the OS versions of both. The bass will be more in your face for sure. But a 112 Wave OS would sound awesome with a D-styled amp I bet.

:agree

prsnstrat

What about it would make it sound so great with a D-style amp? Not flaming, just curious. Also - how would the regular 2x12 sound with a Marshall or Vox styled amp? Thanks-

Trending Topics