Port City Cab Speaker Choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Shnook, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I'm looking into a Port City 2x12 cab to go with my Reinhardt MI-6. I'm not a fan of the V-30's and have no experience with the Celestion Greenbacks. I'm looking for bright and clear and the V-30's seem like the obvious choice, but I've had some poor experiences with those speakers and I'm a little shy of trying them again. Looking for comments from those who used these speakers in the Port City cabs.
    Thanks!

2. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

If you want to avoid V30's....

G12H30............ maybe mixed with G12-65

G12H30 is great with the badger and PC cab.

3. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Call Port City. He does offer various speakers that are not listed on the site, I believe.

4. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Cool. Thanks for the suggestions!

5. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

I had the Port City 1x12's and they seemed to love the heritage 1265 speaker. They sounded great and had plenty of top & bottom end.

6. portcitymusic

portcitymusic Supporting Member

I do at times have access to other speakers. You can call me if you like. We can talk about your style and what you want/need from a speaker. I may be able to recommend something for you. Thanks.

Daniel
    Port City Amps

7. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

I bought my port city cab unloaded. So far everything I've put in there sounds better than in my other cab. Right now I have eminence gb's.

8. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Also, for bright and clear don't rule out the WGS lead 80.

9. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

The G12H70ths I heard sounded great - agreed about the V30s.. My ears don't like that upper mid snark they have.

10. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

The WGS Veteran 30's are snarkless....they are the improved V30.

11. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

What amp are you running; MI-6...2 or 4 x 6V6 right? Bright and Clear? Greenbacks man, to a "T". Greenbacks are bright but not as bright as G12H30's (heavier magnet). GB's have good lowend and great mid characteristics. Looking for classic rock tones and super sweet sounding cleans, do the greenbacks.....they make V30's sound like mud. The GB's should sound great in the small, tight PC Wave. Daniel may recommend the MojoTone BV12M's, I think he's big on those.

I thought the G12-65's were too dark in that cab, they sound great though in my Avatar Vintage 2x12, Open back. G12-65's need volume and air !

12. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I'll never use V30s again. Too damn harsh and buzzy. IMO, the Heritage G12-65s are the best all-around speakers being made today. I'm using them in the PC 2x12 and absolutely love 'em with all my amps!

13. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

I have been on a speaker hunt this year ($$$$$$$) and the MojoTone BV12M
    is one of the best sounding speakers out there. It really is one of the few Gems!

14. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

My friends and I had a speaker fest yesterday with a few PCW cabs and what we found is that different amps like different speakers. For a "D" style amp G12-65's, Cannabis Rex's, and Swamp Thing's can't be beat. For "M" style amps, Greenbacks, Red Fang's, and yes, even V30's sounded awesome. In fact, my homemade TW sounded awesome with V30's in a OS 2x12 and I usually hate V30's. So, you do have to experiment a little to find what will suit you and your amp. BTW Daniel's customer service is awesome.

15. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Have you compared them to the reissue Grrenbacks? If so, can we get a detailed comparison, or is that too much to ask? :)

16. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

+1 .my G12-65's are old ones, sound great, nice bottom end thrown in that compact small cab.

17. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

dont rule out the v30 in that cab!

I for one usually hate the sound of v30's in cabs and I usually mix em with something else.

BUT, a pair of v30's in the PS OS 2x12, slay! That cab seems to tame the shrillness of the highs, and smooth out the mids of the speaker, sounds fabulous!

I went through a bunch of speakers and came back and loaded it with the v30s.

evm 12L
    g12m
    mojo g12m
    mojo g12h
    vintage 30
    mojo v30
    wgs v30
    celestion classic 80
    wgs classic 80