Port City OS 1x12 vs. Avatar Premium Vintage 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mtmartin71, Oct 2, 2008.

1. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I have the Avatar cab in a closed-back config. I would consider it an oversized-style 1x12. I'll be picking up a Scumback H75 30W which will need a home. The Avatar has a V30 in it right now.

I'm looking for opinions of those who have played both and whether the Port City was noticeably better than the Avatar or just marginally better. The Port City runs around $440 new without the speaker and I could maybe get $150 for the Avatar w/ speaker. My total outlay for the Port City/Scumback would be just over $600. So, you can see why I'm interested in the opinions of those who have tried both.

As far as music, I will run British style heads through it. I'm not a pristine clean player and about as heavy as I will typically get is a hot-rodded JCM800 sound. What does intrigue me about the Port City though is monitoring ability. I am tall. Around 6'7". In many cases, if I have the cab on the floor, I can't hear sh!t without getting too loud. The Port City's design does seem like it would spread the sound better, but is that side-to-side, or does it spread up and down too?

2. mtmartin71

Nobody who's tried both cabs? Seriously?

3. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I own a Port City 1x12 OS with a Jensen Blackbird in it and simply sounds amazing! These are awesome cabs and I won a 2x12 OS as well...I have not compared it to the Avatar but both of these sound better than the other two closed back cabs I own...(Bogner/Egnater)

I am running an Egnater Mod50 with BMAN (Fender Bassman) and SL2 (Marshall Super Lead) modules with my Port City cabs and it sounds incredible...

You will NOT regret getting the Porty City cab...

4. mtmartin71

Cool. Thanks for the info. I've got to think the Egnater and Bogner cabs were as good or certainly better than my Avatar closed back. Gives me a good reference point.

5. scroff

scroff Member

Have you considered lopo or ear candy cabs?

6. mtmartin71

Haven't looked at those, but I thought the Lopo stuff was cheaper than the Avatar I already have. I'm pretty sure at this point I'm going to pick up a Port City 1x12 OS. I've heard good things about the Ear Candy stuff though

7. mik777

mik777 Member

I have a Port City OS w/G12-65.. I'm completely happy!

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Lopo and Avatar are made about the same. Ive own both. That said I'd really like to try one of the Port City cabs. They look well constructed and Ive read nothing but good about them. Bob