Port City Pearl review (links to clips inside)

jb70

hello my fellow tgp'ers!

i just wanted to write a short review of my new port city pearl amp. the pearl is a 50 watt, 6L6 based, tube rectified, clean machine. the controls are very basic: volume, bass, mid, high, and a bright switch that is very musical and totally useable. i had the original version of the pearl amp and was going back and forth between upgrading to the 100 watt version. i exchanged a few emails with daniel (who was super helpful) and he thought that 50 watts should work for all of my musical situations.

i've had the amp for a few months now and have done all kinds of gigs, recordings, and rehearsals with her and have to say that i'm completely blown away by the tones that i'm getting.

this amp was created by daniel for those of us who like to use pedals for our overdriven and distorted tones. the pearl gives me a big, beautiful clean tone and i use a fractal axe fx ultra straight into the input. the eq on the pearl is super sensitive making it really easy to dial in the exact type of clean tone that you want. it can do everything from warm jazz tones (ala jim hall and pat metheny) to more present funk tones (ala nile rodgers and jimmy nolen) and everything in between.

the verdict: it's the best sounding, most versatile rig that i've ever owned. i use the port city OS wave 1x12 cab loaded with a jensen jet tornado making the whole rig very lightweight and extremely portable (which is very important since i live in the NYC area and have a 4 floor walkup).

here are some low and medium gain clips that i posted on 5/26 and 5/30 if you are curious to hear the pearl in action:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/902529

high gain clips posted on 5/28: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/904181

clean funk clips posted on 5/31: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/904686

jazz and ambient clips posted on 5/31: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/905554

Last edited:

It's Time!

Cool amp and thanks for the review.

Like you I use pedals for all my gain and all I need is a great sounding clean platform to build on.

Currently I use a Mesa Lone Star Classic and both channels are set up for clean and I have 8 gain pedals on my board for any type of distortion or fuzz I want.

jb70

wow :omg 8 gain pedals! that's pretty serious my friend. i used to have 3 barber gain pedals on my board (before i had my axe fx) and i would get crazy looks from other guitar players. i've tried some friends' gain pedals with my pearl and it loves them all!

It's Time!

wow :omg 8 gain pedals! that's pretty serious my friend. i used to have 3 barber gain pedals on my board (before i had my axe fx) and i would get crazy looks from other guitar players. i've tried some friends' gain pedals with my pearl and it loves them all!
Yeah well I like a lot of different tones.

I am interested in getting a grab n' go Port City Pearl.

jb70

Yeah well I like a lot of different tones.

I am interested in getting a grab n' go Port City Pearl.
you will love the pearl if you like getting your od/distortion tones with your pedals. the pearl has just inhaled every drive pedal that i've tried it with. the light weight of the head is a big plus too

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Just played the Pearl today through a Port City 1x12 wave (the smaller cab). Wow! simple beautiful lush full clean tone with just enough "bounce" to it. Plenty of bottom. This will be my next amp. Throw a few pedals in front and off I go. While I have heard some great online clips, they don't do justice to playing one in person.

flume

Double Platinum Member
Nothing like being late to the party...

I've been hunting for a totally clean amp that isnt a Twin and has its own voice. Looks like this could fit the bill.

SReynolds

Silver Supporting Member
That Pearl sounds great. I've heard good things about these amps and the great customer service. Love the funk clips. Gota try one of these.

morren

I bought my Port City Wave 2x12 cab from Daniel a couple of years ago and have enjoyed it quite a bit. Remarkable low-end, sounds fantastic with cleans even though I'm using a Suhr Badger and its sweet spot is more of a medium-gain, classic rock sort of thing.

Daniel's also a very responsive nice guy who in my experience delivers exactly what he says he will.

Trending Topics