Portable Digital Recorders (for live use)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by PintoMusic, Dec 19, 2004.

1. PintoMusic

PintoMusic Member

I've been wanting to get a portable digital recorder to tape some of my gigs. A friend of mine recorded a live performance of mine with his Sony MD player a couple of weeks ago (you can hear it at http://www.pintomusic.com/sound/sunshine.mp3 - I'm the guy singing) and I was really impressed with the low noise, stereo image, and the frequency response (you can hear the low-frequencies of the washtub bass).

I went out shopping and found that the only digital-recorders that Sony offers with the stereo-mic/line input are their Hi-MD players. I'm considering getting one but I would also like to know if there are any other alternatives that offer the same level of portability and sound-quality.

Does anyone have any exprerience or suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

3. PintoMusic

PintoMusic Member

I've decided to go with a Sony Hi-MD recorder/player and I found my old Realistic (Radio Shack) 33-1065 stereo mic. I used to use that mic to record band rehearsals to cassette but I've never used it for a higher-fidelity application like this. I'm curious to hear how it works.

Anybody have any experience with using the 33-1065 to record to digital media?

4. PintoMusic

PintoMusic Member

It's the one that looks like this:

[​IMG]

5. fatang

fatang Member

6. PintoMusic

PintoMusic Member

It's tough to predict how good it will be. Radio Shack still has the specifications for download off their site so, on paper, it peforms better than the Sony or Audio-Technica binaural mics that are out there.

I've heard that this mic was considered a "classic" among people who bootleg live concerts. I'm not sure whether this is because of its sound-quality or because it was one of the only affordable stereo-microphones at the time. :(

I'm going to test it at my gig tonight and compare results with my friend's Sound Professionals SP-BMC3 mic that was used to record the clip at the top of this thread (we'll have both mics on hand).

7. PintoMusic

PintoMusic Member

Here's the recording we did with the Radio Shack mic. I had to EQ in some bottom-end and it looks like we bumped the auto-level-control on the MD player while recording but I guess the quality is okay:

http://www.pintomusic.com/sound/shdvlive.mp3

8. PintoMusic

PintoMusic Member

Thanks man!! :)

I'm sorry I haven't been around this board in a while but I can't seem to open that link now. :(

Have you moved it or can you re-post it? I'd like to hear it.

9. Martyk

Martyk Member

I have it and use it for every gig - it's just great. I bought a 1 gig card to go with it so I never run out of memory, has lots of recording programming options, easy outs with digital or optic or analog outs. It's a great unit and I can only assume it will outdistance DAT soon enough - no moving parts!

10. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

i would love a version of that, if it could handle 24-bit