Portable gigging amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by boon, Mar 31, 2008.

1. boon

boon Member

Hi there guys. I'm looking to get a nice 1x12 amp which is clean tone amp which is light (under 35 lbs?) but loud enough to play with a mod loud drummer. The few which I have read up about
    Fargen blackbird 20 combo
    Gries 5/18/20 (35 too big and heavy)
    Ceriatone lightning combo
    Allen sweet spot/accomplice jr

Which of these would suit my needs best? I use my pedals for drive so I want a clean amp but wouldn't mind a little bit of grit. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys

2. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Reverend Kingsnake is discontinued but there is an occasional used one. 60 watts, 32 pounds. With a 12AT7 in V1 it is a great clean tube amp. I use it exactly as you described, as a clean warm platform for my GT-8. The Reverend Hellhound is similar at 38 pounds.

3. boon

boon Member

Thanks for the reverend tip. I'll look into them

4. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Goodsell 17. The reviews speak for themselves...

5. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

Top Hat Club Royale (killer amp)
    Gibson Goldtone GA15RV

Both of these amps are in the 15-20 watt range but are plenty loud enough to gig with, are portable and can be had used at a decent price.

6. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Keep the Alessandro Working Dogs in mind. 33 lbs (for the 1X12 combos), you can get 20 watt or 40 watt version, 6V6 (Boxer) and 6L6 (Rottweiler) or EL34s (Doberman) versions as well.

All his amps are handbuilt with the best components, silver solder, top of the line stuff! You can get as Fenderish as you want, most of Vox and even a touch of Marshallesque tones, and any combination of the three.

Tight tight tight Low End, Sparkly highs, and I never played an amp that loves pedals so much. All the amps also come with a built in Attenuator that works perfectly. It allows you to go from full power to 50% power with no loss of tone at all.

Lightweight, the best workmanship, on-board attenuation, top notch reverb, and a perfect pedal platform that you can find used for less than a grand (or order a new one and it's under $1500! Check 'em out!

7. boon

boon Member

Interesting models but way above my budget. At the moment, the gries amps seem to be the frontline in terms of value, tone reviews and weight.

8. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I'll second the Hellhound but they are hard to find.

9. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Tone King Meteor II 112
    Carr Rambler 112 or 115

Either should get it done for ya.

S.
    j

10. GenoBluzGtr

How can a used Working Dog (appr $750 - 850) be above your budget when you included a Fargen Blackbird and a Allen Accomplice in your intial list? Those cost more than the Alessandros new, and (for some reason) hold their resale better on the used market.... in other words, you'll pay far more for those two amps - New or Used - on your list than you will for the working dog.

In fact, except for the 5 watt Gries, the other Gries amps are more than a new Alessandro Working Dog. And I seriously doubt you'll be happy trying to make a 5 watt amp sound "clean" with a "mod loud drummer".

11. finestra

finestra Member

12. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Haven't seen many used Gries amps come up for sale.
    IMO, your best bet would be a used Fargen Blackbird or if none are around, a Gries 18 or 20.
    A used Goodsell would be a great choice as well.

The other choices are bad, IMO, great sounding amps, but you're starting to get up there in price.

13. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

14. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Why not just look at Fender or Peavy combos? Great cleans, and they make several different 1x12 setups. If all your needing is cleans that would be the easiest and most economical thing to do.

15. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Carr Vincent

16. boon

boon Member

I didn't find any used ones. Also I saw the alessandro high-end products website and they retail for quite alot

17. GenoBluzGtr

Right.. the "high end" products are super expensive (although they're probably worth it). From the "High End" part of the web site, click on the "Working Dog" picture and it will take you to that side of the site.

The Working Dog Amps are as good as any boutique and you can get a brand new 1X12 for btw $ 1200 - 1400 (depending on which version) .

There have been several go on the emporium here for between $750 - $900... keep an eye out.

There is currently a "Boxer" that is in a one-of-a-kind cabinet on the emporium for $1300.

18. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Yup!

19. bynt

bynt Member

Groove Tube Solo's are really nice cleans. I don't remember how heavy the one I played for a while was though. I don't seem to remember it being really heavy but that's not safe advice.

I really would like to check out the Working Dogs my damned self.