1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

portable KB for pipe organ emulation?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by hadurmom, Dec 9, 2017.

1. hadurmom

hadurmom Member

Hi, my first post here. I am looking for suggestions for a portable keyboard to emulate the tones (and if possible, shorter keys) of a pipe organ. I've no history with electronic keys, having played my harpsichord, and a teachers Flentrop organ on rare occasions. No offense to anyone but I don't care at all for either piano nor Hammond organ sounds. I know I do not want the weighted, long keys of a piano, the feel is just too different. This is to be played in home so I don't need top of the line "pro" gear, but want better than a $150-$350 "toy". An older instrument would be fine if it has the goods, but I don't know if electronic keys, organs age? Is a Yamaha that was top of the line in 1997 going to create a new set of issues to deal with, or will the sound samples be terribly low fi compared with current gear?
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

You might have to look into midi controllers and vsti software. The only hardware ive seen around with any even slightly convincing pipe organ sounds is like the casio wk3000 which is bordering on the toy category, although i have seen rare appearances on youtube of good players daring to play a wk.

3. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

Nord Electro 5D 61 has pipe organ -- and everything else. Synth weighted waterfall keys and drawbar stops. Also splits for adding addition manuals and pedals.

4. Triton76

Triton76 Member

Modartt has released Organteq Alpha – a new physically modeled pipe organ – as a free download for Linux, Mac & Windows.

5. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Id didnt seem like the OP was looking for a $2200 solution.

6. TylerE

TylerE Member

This is really exciting... I've long thought their PianoTeq was state of the art.

7. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  8. rsm

rsm Member

9. AxeVictim52

AxeVictim52 Member

Dexibell Classico L3 is literally a digital, portable pipe organ.

rsm likes this.
  10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Probably a controller and Hauptwerk software. They have a forum. You could look around on youtube and see how others are using it.

Most synths have a few pipe organ patches, but they're pretty disappointing. I don't really see how any portable board could give you the pipe organ experience

https://www.hauptwerk.com/

11. stevel

stevel Member

This.

Every synth I've ever owned has had a few to a handful of Pipe Organ patches - usually 3 so named, then maybe a Theater Organ, Reed Organ, or other similar patches (organ flutes, etc.).

Most of the "full organ" patches are kind of ridiculously over the top and not very practical - there are no stops to change and so on.

You are probably going to be better off with a controller and VST OP.