Portable Rig? Read inside!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by _amass, Feb 23, 2015.

1. _amass

_amass Member

Hi TGP! Seeking some advice. I currently own an EVH 5153 50w which I run through 2 Orange PPC112's. I am also running a Pod HD500x via 4CM and MIDI for FX and channel switching.

This rig is a bit cumbersome so I am looking for something a little easier to transport when I am jamming with friends.

This is where you guys come in handy. I am seeking recommendations for something smaller/lighter. There are a few guidelines:

-Must be loud enough to jam with a drummer in an unfinished basement through 1 of my Orange 1x12's

-Around $300 USD (A little flexible on that)

-Basically just want one all-purpose drive tone, not worried about tons of tones and effects.

-I play a variety of music, rock, metal, pop-punk, alternative, blues. I think I can get away with one good drive/distortion tone and messing with the vol. knob and switching pickups to cover these genres.

There are a few things that I have considered.

Orange Micro Terror - Sounds amazing, however not loud enough through the 112, and I can't run it through 2 at once.

EHX 44 Magnum - Running my Pod HD500x into this straight into my 112 using the amp models, any input on this? Loud enough? Sound good?

Powered PA - Running my Pod direct into some sort of Powered PA speaker. Cheap enough? Loud enough? Sound good?

Smaller Tube Head?

I appreciate all help and input! Thanks in advance!

-Adam

2. cardinal

cardinal Member

Why doesn't just the 50 watt 5153 and one PPC112 work right now? The head is too heavy for what you want?

3. _amass

_amass Member

Yeah, it is a bit heavy. Between the Pod, head, and a cab, it's just a bit much to transport around and up and down stairs and what not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

A Tiny Terror is the first thing that comes to mind for the price, weight, and tone. Not much clean though. A bit of a one trick pony, but what a trick.

5. _amass

_amass Member

I was actually looking into one of these but they're a bit pricey.

6. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

In my area there are used ones around for $300. Another amp in that used category is the Vox Night Train (I only played the Gen1). It does a different thing than the Orange but also cool.

7. ohiomatt33

ohiomatt33 Member

+1 for the Tiny Terror. I was playing metal with a JVM210 and got sick of the weight (and chances of it being damaged while playing house shows)

I went to the Tiny Terror as a full time head. No pedals, straight in. Could handle the metal band I was in, but really shined when I moved to a pop-punk/alternative group. It is definitely a one-trick pony, but it does that one thing soooooo well. I was using mine through an Orange PPC212 and either a Les Paul or a Tele depending on the song.

The TT still remains my back up head when traveling. I highly recommend it.

8. 8len8

8len8 Member

That price is really going to limit your options.

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Look for a used Jet City jca 22h.
    [​IMG]

It's slightly smaller and will shave off about 14lbs. Good sounding Crunch and OD chan, learn to roll vol off for clean or get a detox EQ pedal. Great, slightly smaller amp for the money.

[​IMG]

10. _amass

_amass Member

Well a Guitar Center not far from my house has a TT for $289 used, so I'm gonna go this weekend and check it out. It just sounds too good to pass up. Thanks for the advice guys!

11. ohiomatt33

ohiomatt33 Member

That's a pretty good price, let us know what you think of it after playing.

12. _amass

_amass Member

Well....It's here, and I LOVE IT. It's absolutely perfect! It is literally perfect! Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you SO much for the recommendation. [​IMG]

13. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

14. _amass

_amass Member

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but I am running it through both cabs if that's what you're wondering haha

15. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Since you have 2 amps and 2 cabs, and the HD500- you could hook it up as a stereo rig... Ping pong delays, wet/dry modulation. Simultaneous clean and dirt.

16. _amass

_amass Member

Oh man....I have to figure out how to do that. That sounds amazing.

17. Russ73

Russ73 Member

Hey amass we spoke about this before, I have the same rig as you, Im actually waiting for the 6505 mini which should ne here in april or may...but the 5153 mini with 2 orange cabs is glorious isn't it??

18. _amass

_amass Member

Yes! It's awesome! I originally got it with only a single 112 which sounded good by itself then I added a second one and oh boy I'm in heaven.

19. _amass

_amass Member

I figured this out and it's unbelievable! It sounds so awesome! Thank you!

20. ohiomatt33

ohiomatt33 Member

Congrats man, glad you dig it!