Portable S/S Amps with TONE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FenderGuy53, Feb 22, 2012.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Guys, I'm looking for a small footprint s/s amp, with TONE, that can handle band rehearsals and small gigs, unmic'd.

Some of the names that keep popping up are:

Roland Cube 40XL
    Roland Cube 60
    Vox Pathfinder 15R

I'd like to keep my expenditures under $250 or so.

Whaddayathink?

2. Bruce Clement

Bruce Clement Gold Supporting Member

I've always like the Roland Jazz Chorus series. The JC-120 is pretty big, but the JC-77 is manageable. I wouldn't go any smaller than that.

3. socalscott

socalscott Member

Tech21 60TM Fender and Marshall tones

4. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

Roland cube 60 is awesome, but, the all time best SS amp ever made is the Roland BC-60 blues cube. Even the BC-30 is great but no reverb.
    The Tech 21 trademark 60 is also really really good, but I found it actually way too loud!

5. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Any love for the Vox Pathfinder 15R?

6. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I love the Pathfinder, but don't think it will have enough output to stand up to playing with a drummer. But if you can find one, the Yamaha G50 solid state combos from the 80s have great tone, and usually sell pretty cheap. If you don't need a great clean tone, the Marshall Master Lead amps from the mid 80s are also pretty good sounding solid state amps. You can pick those up for $200 to $300 in good condition.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  7. pozydhar

pozydhar Member

Tech 21 TM 60. Can't say enough good things about this one...

8. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

Fender Mustang II would work for you. $199 and it has 40 watts and amazing Fender clean tone.

9. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Cube 60 is now a Cube 80. It would work extremely well for what you want if you can find a used one. I'd go with an 80 as they have a few nice features over the 60. Blues Cubes are tuff to find now. I gigged my C60 off and on for a couple of years, and I have a friend who uses one 5 days a week miced to FOH with an E609. So the Cubes will cut gigs and rehearsals. The Fender SS stuff looks good too.

10. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

The Pathfinder is fabulous. I love it. But as one guy said, it would have trouble keeping up with a drummer. If you have an 8 ohm speaker cabinet to run it through, it might keep up though, if he isn't TOO much of a hard-hitter.

The Cubes are good as they have great effects and amp simulations. But the Pathfinder probably has a more uh.....colorful, vibrant, living tone.

11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

And herein lies the rub. I like the tonal goodness of the Pathfinder 15R, but it would require me to drag a pedal board and tuner along; on the other hand, the Roland Cube 40XL is the proverbial all-in-one Swiss Army knife, albeit not as lush as the Vox.

Decisions, decisions...

12. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I have a Yamaha G100-112. I'd say that I like it very much. When I was in high school jazz band, we had about five G100-212s and two or three JC120s. I absolutely preferred the Yamahas.

Flash forward ~20 years, I found this in a local pawn shop. Got it for $100. One of the EQ knobs was the loudest and scrachiest pots I've ever heard. Got that fixed up and cleaned it.

My main amp as been a Dr Z Carmen Ghia for almost two years now and, while I DO prefer the Dr Z, I certainly don't hate the Yamaha by any stretch. It's very versatile without resorting to pedals. It can do jazzy cleans and brighter cleans and on the gain side, it tried to for a Dumble/Early MESA vibe. Spring reverb that gets plenty spacious for everything short of surf.

If you find one, it'll probably be $200 or less but they aren't terribly common. The other drawback is it's pretty heavy.

[​IMG]

13. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Hey, mesa/boogieman, can you tell me more about the Fender Mustang II? My radar is tracking these little buggers, now that I've seen a few on-line demos.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  14. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member