Portable, simple Iso-cab setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kjriel, Feb 24, 2012.

1. kjriel

kjriel Supporting Member

I play worship in my church about 3 out of ever 4 Sundays and I've spent quite a few years trying to come up with the best way to play my tube amps directly into the board. I've tried all the best speaker simulators (Palmer, Sequis, Redbox, ect....). I've tried attenuators with direct outs (Aracom, Weber, UA, ect.....). For the last few years I've used an AxeTrak, but never completely satisfied. I have hesitated going to a bigger iso-cab because I already have a lot of gear to haul and just don't want to lug around a 40+ lb cab as well as all the other stuff. I did a lot of studying and reading about the different ways iso-cabs are used in recording, so I put this compact set up together to try to take advantage of that. The results are, by far, the best I have come across with any of the gear I have tried........ and it's small and light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an axetrak isolation cabinet, a Pigtronix Keymaster, an MXR equalizer, an empress compressor, and a Fuchs verbrator all powered by a voodoo lab pedal power 2+.

The Keymaster takes the low-z signal coming from the cab and converts it to a guitar level signal into two loops so that standard pedals can be used....... all between the cab and board. It is very adjustable with input and output gain adjustments. The loops can be either series or parallel.

The eq and the compressor is what makes this work so well. Most studios use a little compression with an iso-cabinet. Also, adding the reverb after the cab keeps the signal path through the amp clean and simple. I also connect my delay, chorus, and tremolo that is on my board through the keymaster. Very effective with my Z-wreck, since it doesn't have a loop.

Keith