Portable sound systems: JBL, Bose, EV, Turbosound...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gtrdave, Dec 14, 2017.

1. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I'm considering getting one of those pseudo all-in-one sound systems for my band.
    You know, the ones that the Bose L1 rig sort of started the trend with?

I've heard the Bose system before as a few friends use them, but only for duet and trio acoustic performances.
    My wife and I checked out the EV Evolve 50 tonight at the local GC and it sounded impressive and I could see it handling small club gigs no problem.
    I haven't heard the JBL EON One yet, but it looks interesting.
    I also see that Turbosound makes a couple of similar systems and am considering maybe buying two of the smaller rigs (Inspire ip500) to run in stereo.

Does anyone here have any experience with ANY of these systems?
    I've checked out a couple of YouTube demo videos, but am interested in genuine user feedback.

2. 335guy

335guy Member

The only one I've personally used was a Bose, an earlier model and not the compact version. I didn't care for it but folks out front said it sounded good, especially for vocals and acoustic guitar. Never used any of them in a band situation, so I can't say how well they would do for that.

3. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I bought two of the JBL Eon One systems. I use them with a 12 channel mixer. We have used two for moderately loud outside gigs and everyone said they sounded fine. They actually have a nice round bass. I didn't expect that with just a 10" woofer. We also used two for a mid size hotel ballroom gig, sounded good, the room sucked so tough to tell really. We used one in a small club, good results. We only used floor monitors one the outside gig. We sat the Eons on the ground and because the stage was 4' high we needed the monitors on the stage with us. I chose the Eon because it has good sound and the portability is unmatched. If you can get by with 118db max I recommend them. The EVs would be louder but cost more and not as portable. It's all about what you need. The EONs are all we need.

4. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Do some research before you buy the JBL (check out the AGF) ... just sayin' . I don't think any of those types can run an entire band. And you'll still need monitors if you want to hear what the guy at the other end of the stage is playing (don't believe the claims). I tried the Bose (borrowed from a buddy) and it was GREAT for acoustic guitar and vocals. But in an acoustic band it still required a mixer (not enough inputs), a decent FX unit, and floor monitors, and couldn't handle the bass (B1 sub, but really, I didn't expect it to). I'd rather use a decent mixer w/FX and traditional powered speakers on poles. For the price of the L1 Model II with Tonematch you can have a great sounding, scalable, and reliable PA system.

Bottom line ... for the singer/songwriter and duo/trio ACOUSTIC with vocals they're OK. I can't see using one in a band. I did hear a bluegrass band use a Bose ... single mic setup. And another BG band used three of them on stage, but the bass player was still using a small Acoustic Image amp.

modulusman likes this.
  6. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Our current band rig is a pair of active Yamaha 2-way mains (they sound great, too!), an A&H Zed10 board (w/ dig. effects) and any subwoofer we can borrow (usually a Turbosound or JBL Pro).
    We only run vocals, keys, acoustic and kick through the system. Guitar and bass use their own amps.
    I was initially looking for a decent small powered sub to buy to compliment our system, but not sure if it's worth going that route as opposed to selling off our current mains and buying 1 or 2 of the portable rigs, plugging the Zed10 into that.
    There aren't a lot of good band demo videos of any of the systems. Maybe that should be telling me something...

7. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

They CAN do whole band, it just depends on how many DBs you need or think you need. I've miced drums, bass, guitar, piano, sax, trumpet and vocals withe my EONs at a moderate volume. I'm guessing but I'm thinking at about the 105-110db level. Where we play the people want to talk more than listen so we get told to turn down pretty regularly. In the 90s I was in a band that routinely played at over 120 db right on stage. Stick PAs are not meant for that!
    I firmly believe that you don't see more sticks in front of bands just because people are afraid they won't cut it. I have also noticed that people that use sticks get shouted down in forums so they just don't post on PA threads.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  8. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

9. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

I have used them with everything from single acoustic and a vocal mic to a full band. Linked together, they are monstrous. The bass they put out is so clear and powerful. Highs and mods (despite not even HAVING mid drivers) are great. I have no idea how they do it! They are not going to replace an entire line array-type, huge PA system. But for what they are, they're incredible.

10. 335guy

335guy Member

Just my opinion. Based on the published specs, the Turbosound iNSPIRE IP2000 appears to be the most bang for the buck. 12" subwoofer, 1000 watts, $999 MAP. I would think two of these could handle a moderate volume band in a smallish venue. You would still need a mixer and IEMs or wedges if you placed these in front of the band. The only other two that seem comparable are the EV Evolve 50 ( which states it's a little louder ), and the Yorkville EMX400 ( which has a smaller sub speaker, less power and less max spl ). The Turbosound iSPIRE IP2000 is less $$ than these other two. The JBL EON One Pro doesn't come close in terms of power, woofer size and it costs nearly as much as the EV. But it does have a slightly better mixer. I didn't include BOSE because I think it's over priced.

For a small, compact FOH speaker system, I'd suggest a couple of QSC K8.2s, and a smallish sub, perhaps the EV EKK-15P. The weight and ease of setup would be about the same as (2) Turbosound IP2000s, and the cost would be about the same as well. But I'd think this setup would outdo the Turbosounds in max spl and overall clarity.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    gtrdave likes this.
  11. modulusman

modulusman Member

Go to musicians friend and look it up then watch the video. Notice they don't show it being used with a full band. I'm sure it work good at your exercise class though.:rolleyes:

Floyd Eye likes this.
  12. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Nobody wants to to "shout you down" ... just saying that these things aren't for everyone, and its good to know the limitation before plunking down $$$ on something that might not work.

Floyd Eye and eclecto-acoustic like this.
  13. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I don't care what the video shows. I have done it and they worked fine. This is what I meant about anti-stick people jumping on stick people. I don't mean to sound defensive, I'm at work and need to be to the point and log off.

NamaEnsou and soulman969 like this.
  14. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I did say if you want to play at 120 db these aren't for you. I have a pair of Yamaha DBR10s. These may not play as loud but since the woofer is at the floor they have a deeper bass sound and they don't need poles. Different horses for different courses. I took the gamble and the band and I are all pleased about it. I don't mean to sound defensive, I'm at work and need to be to the point and log off.

15. modulusman

modulusman Member

Whatever it seams to me if they were meant for a full band JBL would have included that in the video.

16. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

They are just as appropriate as any average 10" 2 way, for my application. If they try them other guys will feel the same, I'm sure. I did see on some owner reviews on Musicians Friend that other full bands were using them, that's why I took the gamble and ultimately kept them. So if a band can operate on one or two conventional 10" 2 ways then these will work, and no need for speaker poles. For me, and other lower volume users, the compromise of portability and good sound works very well. One other advantage is that since most of the time monitors aren't needed I can hear what the mains sound like from the stage. That is very helpful when trying to mix from the stage.
    My sax player plays in lots of different music situations when we aren't booked. He plays at a Greek restaurant where they use Bose sticks for backing tracks for him and the guitar player, for the belly dancer and other music. That place is loud as hell inside when she dances and pretty loud when they are doing the ouzo shots. It's easily as loud as most clubs with a band. The two Bose sticks cover the room great. The other situation he plays in frequently is a polka band. They only use one Bose stick behind them and it fills the whole room fine.
    I feel like these systems will be used more and more as people try them and discover the advantages. I could easily see a rock, country or blues band using multiples of the EV and other larger systems for anything less than full concert applications. As a matter of fact, I am currently considering going back to a blues format. If I do I will continue to use these EONs. Using something like a cranked Deluxe Reverb, I am confident these will carry the whole band. Keeping in mind we would be playing at levels people can still talk. No talk and the people always leave at break. That's the way it works in KC. More and more the younger people don't seem to care about the music but will tolerate it as long as they can talk/shout to each other.

soulman969 likes this.
  17. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Using a pair of Turbosound IP1000's with a full band consisting of guitar, bass drums, keys, and four vocals. Playing a mix of classic rock, blues and country. We mike alll intruments and are Using a separate mixer to get all the inputs that we need. It works great! Setup time is half of what it was with 2 EV ZLX12's and a QSC sub. For the clubs we have played since we got this system we have got nothing but compliments on the sound.
    I think these types of systems are only going to get better.

sants likes this.
  18. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

19. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Thanks for the link and thanks, everyone, for the replies.

For now I'm going to stay old school, so I ordered an Alto subwoofer and see how that pairs w/ our Yamaha mains. Maybe get another sub in the future and get one of the other band members to pick that up on their dime.
    Yes, the stick systems seem best suited for a small solo/duo act and not as a FOH for a band. I'm sure that they can work in that situation, but my rep. at Sweetwater wasn't to encouraging when I mentioned that application to him.
    All signs pointed towards a discreet sub, so that's the route I'm going.

20. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Yeah, if the goal is to have a 2 mains + subs setup, then no, they do not work as a replacement. Not built that way.

The way they work for a band is if everyone has their own, with the appropriate power and sub setup to match the instrument.