Portable sound systems: JBL, Bose, EV, Turbosound...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gtrdave, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

I bought a turbosound for our acoustic gigs. I kills the Bose stuff. less expensive, better sound and wider sound dispersion.

Probably need 2 or 3 for full band. At that point I would pull out my JBL PRX gear.

eclecto-acoustic likes this.
  2. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

When I used them as a pair on an outside gig, I did hear some sort of a phasing delay thing when I had them 20 feet apart and both straight out. We toed them in and that seemed to eliminate most of it. At another gig where we used two was a wedding reception in an old mansion's dining room. Because of the shape of the room we actually had one facing straight out and one on a sidewall 90 degrees from the straight out one. No ill effects at all on that one.

3. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

The big problems arise because they have such wide dispersion. Especially with a mono signal, the sound quality is expected to be very poor where the sound from each speaker crosses paths with the other. This is basic PA setup stuff. It isn't as noticeable with a pair of boxes with maybe 90° horizontal dispersion, but when you get into the realm of 120-180° like you do with some of these stick PAs, it is a recipe for dead spots and artifacts.

The effect is lessened using a wide stereo mix, and all but defeated in a stick-per-player configuration.

It is no wonder these things get a bad wrap...people use them wrong all the time!

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

As always ... you can tell me my opinion is wrong, I'll listen. But tell me my experience is wrong and ... well ... pfffft! :cool:

5. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Using them "wrong" is just a practical fact. The people I play with have advanced degrees in music and they make their living from music. They work as much as they can giving lessons, playing gigs and conducting community orchestras etc.. They work a lot but not enough to be able to justify spending $1,000 on a system for each. That's one of the cruelties of being a musician as a career, not enough money to go around. That's why the original Bose concept was so stupid. It was blind to the financial practicalities of life. When I first saw the pricing I just laughed, knowing that few bands would go that route. I've never heard of any bands in the KC area using the one stick each method. On the other hand one stick for the whole band does work well, if the room is suited to it and it's what I call a quiet gig. I have done that once and will do it again at our next gig in mid january. I thought our sound was REALLY good when we used at the one gig but it turned out at the end of the night that the club owner thought we were WAY too loud. They stopped having Live music until they open the sidewall again next spring.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  6. eclecto-acoustic

It is possible to have advanced degrees in music but not be knowledgeable about the physics of sound. The opposite is also true.

I agree with you that a quiet band can get away with using one, provided one of two things: that not everything in the band is piped through it, or it is powerful enough to handle everyone. I wouldn't consider it ideal, though.

And since we aren't stuck with Bose as the only manufacturer of these things, you can get a lot of system for the money. For $3k, you could have about 1500-2000 usable watts of power and a stick per person for a trio, with fast setup times and far less stage real estate taken up by equipment. Even less if you wanted to exclude the drummer or have the bassist and drummer share.

Fact is, a LOT of people don't use the stick-per method, and in most cases it is just about not understanding the benefits or over-estimating the cost vs performance.

7. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I didn't mean to imply that an advanced degree is music means they know good sound, they don't. I meant that living off of being a musician doesn't pay enough for these guys to spend money on a system of their own. They need mortgage payments and groceries!
    There are less expensive systems now but that's only been true in the past couple of years. When Bose first came out they were stupid money yet people did buy them and use one or two per band. I clearly remember people saying how much they liked them. I was a poo-pooer but I am not now. I'll keep using them "wrong". They have made my set up SO much easier. Winners for me!! Ideal doesn't exist in my world. If a venue wants that they hire a sound company.

8. sants

sants Supporting Member

How do they handle snare and toms? I’ve been waiting on the Turbosound ip3000 to come out. I’m either going with that or the rcf evox 12 or some rally high end 10s.

9. sants

sants Supporting Member

What do you out through them as far as drums?

10. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Drums are fine. Just keep in mind that these are NOT super systems. I would judge them as more or less what a conventional speaker can do with the same size woofer, maybe a little less. The advantage is the throw these things have. More tweeter/midrange speakers up high will bring more "presence" to the distant areas.

11. modulusman

modulusman Member

I just looked at the pictures on your bands website and in everyone I saw that you had your PA speakers on the floor.:( I bet if you put them on stands like bands with a clue they would have better throw. :D

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  12. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I appreciate the implication about not having common sense about how to position PA speakers. Speaker stands/poles? News to me. I'll have to use the Googles and see if I can learn about such high tech things! I sure hope I'll be able to buy a clue when I see what the internets have to show a poor Kansas City hick like me. I hate to go thru life without a clue! :)

The pictures you are referring to are a concert situation at a local shopping center that we play every summer. The band sets up on a platform and the audience sits down in a basin. We are about five feet higher than the level where the audience sits. They never sit closer than a about 25' in front of us. Since they sit I don't want the speakers real high.
    That is the only place I didn't use stands with those speakers. Otherwise I always get speakers so the tweeters are about 6.5' above the floor. Coincidentally, that's also about the height of the EON's tweeters. In the video at the top of the Gallery, to my left you can just see the edge of one of the EV SX300s, one of two I used at gigs back then. Always on stands.

gtrdave and eclecto-acoustic like this.
  13. ballynally

ballynally Member

I think those Bose sticks stand out from the others.some are raving about them and others, like me, find them too hifi and finicky.You're supposed to be able to use them anywhere but i've experienced the opposite.
    Plenty of sparkle and low end but no nice middle imo.i tend to warn people about them because they're supposed to be the bee's knees.maybe they are just that:thin..;).lows and highs too separated and no body of substance.
    I consider them a trend that will diminish in time, quite the opposite of quoted poster.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  14. eclecto-acoustic

They are great if they are used correctly.

RustyAxe likes this.
  15. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

If it were just me and my wife doing acoustic duet gigs, we would probably get one of the "stick" systems and be done with it, as we've seen other friends do. The Bose system, while stupid overpriced (typical), does sound good. The EV Evolve sounded amazing. I'm sure the Turbosound systems are good, too.

Because we can go out as a 2, 3 or 4 piece band, though, we need versatility in our sound gear. I don't need to mic everything right now, so our A&H Zed, Yamaha 2-way speakers and (future) Alto sub should work well for any smaller venue that doesn't have their own sound system. It's fairly portable and somewhat modular, so we'll only use the pieces that we need according to the gig requirements.
    I do think that stick systems have their place, but all of my research has shown me that we're not in their place at this point.

16. ballynally

ballynally Member

you keep saying that but for me and most professional players it's just a passed station.
    I can just hear the 'oohlala' disappearing around the bend..
    Will work ok for speech centred performances ie, quiet large places like churches and conference halls.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  17. eclecto-acoustic

I keep saying it because the same tired lines continually get trotted out.

I'd also be careful of speaking for a group so large and diverse as the pro musician.

18. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

I'm a Kansas City hick myself :)

19. RoguePlayer

RoguePlayer Member

Hi,
    Are you guys using these in front of the band or back a little for monitoring? Also, on stage or they on the floor? Thanks.

20. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Will use them setback about mid-stage so we can hear them. We run one separate monitor for our lead singer because she likes to hear herself loud louder then what she hears off of the sides.

RoguePlayer likes this.