Portable sound systems: JBL, Bose, EV, Turbosound...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gtrdave, Dec 14, 2017.

1. RoguePlayer

RoguePlayer Supporting Member

Thanks for the update. Is it moving air and getting people on the dance floor or is it just getting by? I don’t mean to sound flippant with my questions. It’s just really hard to find info on this kind of system used in a real club situation with a full band using them. Most info is about acoustic music or DJ’s. All of the YouTube videos are useless.

I thank you for any info you may divulge.

2. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Silver Supporting Member

In a dance club scenario a more traditional system is usually better suited. You want the higher SPL and particularly low end response that would be ill suited behind the performers.

Full band, yes it can be done. For dance stuff...I'd look elsewhere. There is the Turbosound iP3000 though...it's the beefiest one I've seen. Give it a look.

RoguePlayer likes this.
  3. RoguePlayer

RoguePlayer Supporting Member

Hey Justin,
    You’ve given me pretty solid advice in an other thread. I did see about that new ip3000 coming out. Looks like that will be more of a better system for a band.
    I’m trying to toe the line of choosing a system for both an acoustic duo and a classic rock band. While the 3000 should handle a band, it just may be way overkill for the duo. That’s where I’m trying to figure out if two ip2000’s could handle a band while just using one for the duo.
    I’ve got a 2000 coming in today that I’m going to try out. I listened to an EV Evolve50 the other day which sounded pretty good, but with the 3000 coming out at the same price, 16 speakers vs. the 8, plus double the power, I’m really looking forward to hearing that. And not. Form factor may just be too much.

4. Justin Hitchborn

The 2000 is a serious piece of kit. Depending on the band, I would feel comfortable running a pair of 2000s. Easily for a classic rock trio. In the traditional setup of guitarist/singer, bassist/singer and drummer, I'd give one stick each to the singers and let the drums be acoustic. If they needed to be mic'd I'd say a 1000 for the guitarist, 2000 for both bass and drums.

As far as the 2000 for a duo...I considered it myself. The only reason I didn't was because I'd rather have a second 1000 in that scenario. Extend coverage, or have REALLY crystal clear audio in the normal setup.

NamaEnsou and RoguePlayer like this.
  5. tombo007

tombo007 Member

I have been using two ip2000/xr18 for 1 year in small to medium clubs, with great success, used to use JBL SRX812/818,s. ip2000 is an easier setup.
    If in need more bottom end I use one of my SRX818s (crossovers at 90) and the Xr18 main EQ Hpf for crossover for the ip2000. I have used this system out side with a sub on each side and ip2000 on top.
    Using my SRX712 for monitors!

Played 150 seat club NYE with 30 dancers rockin all night with an ip2000 on each side!
    4pc keyboard bass, keys, sax, guitar, kick and 4 vocals.....

RoguePlayer and 335guy like this.
  6. 335guy

335guy Member

Questions? How do you like the Turbosound iP2000s? And when you run extra subs, does that conflict ( phase wise ) with the iP2000's 12" subs. And no phase problems from running 2 iP2000s, one on each side of a stage? Reason I ask as it's been inferred that running 2, one on each corner of a stage, can cause phase incoherence.
    Personally, it does appear to be a quality system for not much $$.

RoguePlayer likes this.
  7. tombo007

tombo007 Member

I like them!

ip2000 can fill a small club without subs better than speaker on a stick, with more bottom end to 40hz, bass guitar sounds great direct and kick ok. With a horn loaded speaker direct throw and with a person next to the speaker, it can blow your head off. Column speakers, with there wide dispersion, to me sound better in a small bar...75-150 pp, bigger room I add one sub in the middle or on a side.

There’s no phase problems because I’m using the xr18 main EQ as a crossover, low cut about 90hz and running aux to my SRX818 with the internal crossover at 90hz.

Great for solo and duo too!

I might try and sell my ip2000 and get the new ip3000....

335guy and RoguePlayer like this.
  8. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

fwiw: I thoughts sticks were ok for small,intimate rooms. If disperall was paramount, Id use something else. There are alot of choices and the choice you make is just like picking a guitar or mic...it says alot about how you want to present yourself. And its ok to be different,imho...just make a conscious choice.

9. sants

sants Member

I just ordered two ip3000s and I will have them tomorrow. I have qsc k and kw as well as jbl srx so a fairly solid reference point.

I’ll report back with my findings. I will open one box and test it. If all goes well both will be going out on a gig Saturday; If not, the dreaded return.

In all honesty I’ve read some solid reviews. On the Turbosound users group FB Page, a guy posted a few videos of a full band playing through a pair of ip2000s. They sounded great for what the video could provide. It seems like the people who speak negatively of these have really had little experience with them.

10. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Do the turbo sound columns support Ultranet?

11. Crowder

So I’m considering either an iP1000 or iP2000.

I’m doing mostly solo acoustic stuff these days, but every once in a while I’ll do a full band show. If it weren’t for that I’d definitely get the 1000. Might still. It seems a lot more portable.

I have an XR-18 so my mixer needs are met.

Thinking of selling at least two of my three K10’s and grabbing either the 1000 or 2000. Probably a demo/floor model.

12. Justin Hitchborn

The columns are not ultranet equipped.

Crowder likes this.
  13. Crowder

That's too bad. As an XR-18 owner it would be a factor for me.

I find the RCF Evox line to be somewhat more appealing. I've had good luck with RCF stuff up 'til now.

14. Justin Hitchborn

How would you use Ultranet with speakers like these?

15. Crowder

Basically for the convenience and clean look of being able to feed them with Ethernet cables instead of XLR's. This would only be in a situation where I was bringing out my mixer. It's not a deal breaker.

I hate that the EVOX systems don't include a mini-mixer on board. That IS a deal killer. If I get a stick system, the primary use will be for solo acoustic gigs. If I'm going to carry a mixer I might as well stick with what I have. Even the K10's have enough mixing flexibility to handle a guitar and mic gig.

Justin Hitchborn likes this.
  16. sants

sants Member

I got my ip3000s and they are monsters. The output is insane.

They sound really good. I did a quick comparison between an ip3000 and k12 over a kw181.

The k12 has more warmth going because it more low mids going on. The ip3000 definitely has more clarity and bite. More upper mids presence.

They ip is a big unit. The sub has about the same footprint as a kw181 just not as high.

I really like the ip. Build quality is outstanding and the columns lock in very solid. The sound is softer which given the design is what it is supposed to do. The bass output is clean and punchy. The look is stunning.

The setup sounds a little more scooped than your standard speaker but warms up as you move away from it.

I am a total snob for sound and these will definitely fill a void and work for bands. I played some drums through them and they sounded great. I may grab some high end 1x10 speakers instead and use them with subs. The amount of gear will still be similar, the ip just looks really good.

Not sure if I am going to keep them just yet but I will play around more and see what what happens.

If you have a mediocre pa or cheap, these will be a nice step up. They really do sound good.

Justin Hitchborn and 335guy like this.
  17. Crowder

Thanks @sants

Am I wrong, or do most of these seem like the components are derived from each manufacturer's lower end stuff? Obviously the form factor and DSP are different, but if you look at the handles and switchgear on most of these it seems like they're adding a $1000 speaker to a line of $500 speakers. I'm assuming that I can trust my eyes on this. Maybe I'm wrong.

18. Justin Hitchborn

The expense of them, including the cheaper ones, does seem a little head-scratchy, doesn't it?

19. sants

sants Member

I can say that these turbosounds are very well made. I’m sure they use cheap and cost effective components. At $1500 MAP it’s to be expected. Imo the quality and fit and finish seems like it should cost twice what it does.

I was ready to take them back and go with a pro quality pro box (rcf tt22a-ii) but I just wrapped up a gig with one doing sound for a punk grass band. It’s a keeper.

The coverage alone is worth keeping. I’m not sure my k12s and 181s would have done as well. They are different from a traditional speaker in terms of some mid push but the clarity makes up for it imo. Once I got used to it I preferred the sound. Many said the sound was awesome and not in your face like a traditional speaker.

Worth every penny. My buddy who does sound came out and we were both ready to hate on them after comparing to jbl prx612/718 before the gig. Don’t get me wrong both are great. Just agreed it was a parallel move. After the gig we feel better about the ip.

I was swayed by one of the band guys to try it out during setup. Real world is way different and I’m glad I did it.

Cheap component or not, there is some magic in these things.

HoboMan, 9fingers, Crowder and 2 others like this.
  20. sants

sants Member

You need to also take into consideration that even speakers held in high regard amongst musicians like the k, dxr, dsr, zlx, elx etc all use cheap China components and drivers.

They all sound quite good.

Crowder and Justin Hitchborn like this.