Portaflex on the Cheap

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Ape2000, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Ape2000

Ape2000 Member

Howdy,

I'm primarily a guitar player, so pardon any ignorance.

In the next few months, I plan on grabbing a small bass amp (combo preferably). Tube or SS, I'm not picky. I've always dug the sound of the PF. Is there anything that comes close to those tones under $500?

If it helps at all, I dig both smooth and crunchy bass tones.

2. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

Whats the end game? Solo Practice? House Jams? Small shows? Big shows?

Cheap and reliable would be a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal into something Peavey with a single 15 speaker. Craigslist could get you the amp for under $200, the pedal is $150 new.

Next step up would be an Ampeg Pf350 head (~$300) and a standalone 1x15, could probably wrangle the whole thing under $500

Then you start getting into the new PF Tube heads from Ampeg, PF20 is like $600, Pf50 $800 I think, plus cabinets. I hear they sound great, but the power levels make them studio kit, not live. Well, unless you have a HUGE PA, then amp volume becomes largely irrelevant, don't it? :)

3. Ape2000

Ape2000 Member

Thanks for the reply! Ironically, at one point in time, I had a peavey mark iii and a VT bass pedal. The VT was stolen off me. :-/ and I sold the peavey since I needed cash.

The rig would be for writing, jamming, recording and the occasional small gig. Those newer PFs seem pretty decent!

4. mikebat

mikebat Member

Those micro series PF heads sound great, weigh nothing and are cheap!

PF350/500/800

The take abuse and hold up!

5. Ape2000

Ape2000 Member

Excellent, two votes for the PF series so far!

6. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I've owned a few different ampeg pieces & now I'm happily settled with a MarkBass head & a VT Bass pedal. There are loads of options out there, but a Tech21 bass pedal into almost any amp will get you 95% of the tones you are looking for.... IMHO.

7. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I'd go with the Tech 21 VT pedal or the VT-500 over Ampeg these days. I had an Ampeg BA210 that was a total lemon, and I know several professional bassists who have sworn off Ampeg because of reliability issues.

8. padavis

padavis Member

Between me and my dad we have 4 Ampeg BA210V2s. Bought them off of Ampegs eBay listings. Dad uses two at practice locations and one at his gig and they're used for several hours each week. Two have been going strong for
    Several months now and one I believe hes had about 6 months. Mine I've had a couple months and I have not had a problem... I'm buying another when I can to stack for outdoors...

9. TimD

TimD Supporting Member

I have a PF 800 with 210he cab and the rig sounds great. In fact, I have a matching 115lf on the way.
    At the first of the year I joined a band on bass (never really played bass) and this rig has served me well. I dig it!
    I even grabbed one of the Tech 21 VT pedals to use as sort of a second, growly channel.