Porter Pickups... Anyone familiar with them?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Delayed Delay, May 24, 2011.

1. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Been checking out their website - in the market for some HB's with BITE for my dual cutaway Benford....

Anyone around these parts familiar with Porter Pickups? I'd love to hear more about them, and how good they are or aren't?

2. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

yes -- i have played their Tele pickups, and they impressed my boss Brian Stoltz so much that he BOUGHT SOME to put into his own Tele!

Brian Porter makes some fine sounding pickups -- I have tried both the Tele and Strat sets -- and they were fantastic!

I am personally a DiMarzio endorser, and am faithful to them as they have been supportive of my career and i love and use their pickups since 1978.

but i highly recommend Porter -- very good stuff!

3. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Sweet... thanks Bobby D!

4. Brian Porter

Brian Porter Member

Feel free to PM with with questions, i'd be happy to help.

5. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up a set of Anthems from Atlanta Discount Music...they're going into my LP tonight or tomorrow, can't wait :)

6. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Just got my pickups (Clear for the bridge, Classic for the neck) in the mail today! Problem is I won't be able to use them for a couple weeks - guitar will be in the shop with Neil Sargent for a couple weeks until he has time to get to mine.

7. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Disclosure: I won my Porter pickups here in the Supporting Member giveaway. That said, Brian was a first-rate guy to deal with and treated me like a regular customer, not some anonymous dude he was giving free pickups to. I ended up with a set for my Nashville Tele, a standard neck, 50's middle and vintage bridge. Just got them installed last weekend and they are sweet! They're exactly what I was looking for...the bridge twangs, the neck is full and sweet - not muddy, and in the 2 & 4 positions, the middle pup gives my tele some very strat-like quack. Brian's generosity to TGP has earned him a customer...I'll definitely be getting a set to put in my strat. I think Porter is going to become a big name around here.

8. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

I put a set of Anthem PAF's in my '58 Reissue LP and they are not going anywhere. In this guitar I've had Timbuckers, Holmes, WCR, Wolfetones, Duncans, etc...not to malign any of those pickups, they've all been great, but these are the perfect pickups for me in this particular guitar...clear and articulate, they honk nicely with some gain and the tone and volume rolled down a bit...I'm impressed...no real tweaking, just installed, roughly set the pickup height and they're good to go!

9. jmiller475

jmiller475 Member

I've been using his Modern Strat set for over a year now and I'm very happy with them. So far it's the only pickups I've actually kept and I've had Fralins, Van Zandts, Chevaliers, Fenders and quite a few more that I can't remember at the moment.

10. crazymauler

crazymauler Member

I have the Anthem PAF's in my PRS Cu22 and they are fantastic... and Brian's customer support and professionalism can not be beat.

11. paul14470

paul14470 Member

Yes, I have a Blender set (60s/50s/Modern) in my demo strat, I've sold a few sets of these and people love 'em. Ordering some more now...

12. jmiller475

jmiller475 Member

Brian also has a loaded pickguard that's being passed around that has a set of new Strat pickups in it for anyone to demo. All you have to do is sign up for it and pay to ship to the next person.

13. paul14470

paul14470 Member

I love 'em and so do all my customers!

14. Sammicus15

Sammicus15 Member

Brian works on occasion at the guitar shop down the street from my place. He is an outstanding dude and his Vintage Tele (I think that's what they're called, not sure) set is freakin' phenomenal. Seriously great pickups.

15. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Disclosure - I work for a dealer.

I think they're very cool. Have a set in an MIJ Strat and they are very clear and bell-like and perfect with pedal overdrive or better yet, old-school fuzz.

My co-worker has a P-90 in his tele-style and it sounds very good as well through his Hiwatt.

16. jmiller475

jmiller475 Member

What set do you have?

17. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Modern Strat. Alnico V mags, ~6.5K.

18. jmiller475

jmiller475 Member

I've got the same exact set. I think they are great set and can get a good variety of tones.

19. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I just converted my Strat to HSS and put a Porter Classic humbucker in the bridge. I plan to use it mostly for overdriven tones so I asked for it to be overwound with tight a low end, full mids and a round top end. So far I really like what I hear. Big and musical, no harshness and not thin on the top end. This is what a Strat bridge should sound like!

I have to say that Brian's customer service is beyond amazing. His responsiveness to email was as close to instantaneous as it gets and he built and shipped the pickup immediately. Let's just say he did everything he could to ensure I was a satisfied customer.

[​IMG]

20. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

That's what I'm having installed in my Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child tribute guitar.