Positive and Negative Wires in a 1x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Passenger84, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Alright, this is probably a really dumb question.....but I figure it'd be even dumber to think I know the answer already and then to fry my amp.

I've changed speakers out many times before, but the wires have always been colored. I just got an empty 1x12 cab with two wires from the jack, and they're the same color, and braided together. Can anyone explian to me how to tell from where they're soldered to the jack which one is positive and which one is negative?

Thanks again, and please forgive my stupidity if it makes no difference in a one speaker setup.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the convention is that any speaker cabinet should be wired so that, when a cable is plugged into it and a 9V battery is touched to the other end of the cable + to tip, - to sleeve, the speaker(s) jump forward.

that should mean the wire that is attached to the jack lug that's connected to all the metal threaded parts of the jack is negative, and the other wire is positive.

3. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

for consistencies sake (if you have other cabs) the positive lead on the speaker (marked +) should attach to the red or striped wire, and then to the tip of the 1/4 jack. The barrell is then wired to the negative lead, typically with black or non-striped side of the wire.

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Although I generally will connect the + lead to the + of the speaker, the phase of the output vs that of the input is a bit of a crap shoot in MI amplifiers. Sometimes when you switch channels or effects the phase undergoes a reversal anyway. I guess it becomes more of an issue when you are running multiple amplifiers of a different type. If one speaker is sucking while the other is blowing you won't realize the full benefit of bi-amping.

5. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Never Mind

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008