Positive Grid BIAS AMP!! (really good)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Blix, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Blix

Blix Member

Bought the standard version a couple nights ago, I stumbled over their website and noticed the sale price @ $69. Downloaded the demo first to get a feel for the interface and tones, liked it and bought it.

After fooling around with it a few hours I'm quite impressed, if not really impressed.
    While I haven't dived deep yet, I've gotten some fantastic Plexi tones and that Mesa Mark IIC+ model is just killer, instant Dream Theater! :)

Surprised we don't see more discusion about Bias, it is really really top quality modelling in my ears.
    Now the Bias AMP are just amp tones, so of course limited compared to a complete solution with pedal and effects modelling, but all I wanted was raw nice amps,
    Bias FX does the pedals and effects too, if you want.

I'll try and add some clips later tonight!

:beer

Anthony Newcomb and mbenigni like this.
  2. Blix

Blix Member

First clip, the little I remembered of Dream Theaters Erotomania.

Stock Mesa MkIIC+ preset, didn't touch anything!

3. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny Member

Wait til you try Bias FX!

I just finished recording an album with it - I love the tones I was getting. There's a ton of great tones on the cloud, too. If only they would incorporate a mini DAW like Amplitube has, then they would be closer competitors. I think Bias is better for playing/recording metal and A4 for everything else, especially cab mic'ing and modeling.

I also love how intuitive using effects is in Bias.

Anyway, glad you're diggin' on it! It's great software!

Bobby D and Blix like this.
  4. Blix

Blix Member

I wanted Bias AMP mainly, because of the amps (duh) and it sure delivers. Have to look into FX at a later time! :)

Anthony Newcomb likes this.
  5. fitterhappier

fitterhappier Member

The Mark IIC+ is my favorite amp in Bias! I use that one 9 times out of 10. Just a killer tone. I export my Bias amps into their JamUp app and then go to town with pedals and fx. Great combo!

6. richpjr

richpjr Member

I just wish they would finally implement some MIDI automation that has been promised forever.

Ugly Bunny likes this.
  7. Elric

Elric Member

Man Bias sucks so royally I do not get all the love for it... I have the pro desktop version and it feels like ****. I can get a few tones from it but it is frustratingly mediocre over all, even when it sounds good it responds all wrong... I think I am just used to stuff that is truly excellent and am ruined on a lot of plugins at this point.

Lonnie4g likes this.
  8. cardinal

cardinal Member

I use it on my phone and think it sounds and feels great as long as I export it into JamUp. For whatever reason, using Bias by itself, I can't get the input level high enough without clipping, so everything sounds a bit off. But run through JamUp, the amps roar to life.

9. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I like base sounds of Positive Grid stuff, but the Bias Desktop apps are super slow to load and change patches even after months of updates. Just seems unfinished to me. Also, they are constantly teasing something new while egregious bug fixes wait unfulfilled for their existing products.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  10. Blix

Blix Member

Weird, no bugs and everything is loading quickly here. Just super. I run it on my Mac Mini.

Anthony Newcomb likes this.
  11. jrw32

jrw32 Supporting Member

I use BiasFX Desktop without issue with my MacBook Pro, mainly for heavier tones, bass amps, & guitar amps/effects that I can't get in S-Gear, which I use for most everything else. S-Gear still sounds/feels better to me, but I've been pretty happy with Bias for other options when needed. Very intuitive interface & I think a great combo when paired with S-Gear.

12. Blix

Blix Member

New clip, with some contrast to it. Starts out with something SRV-ish noodling, the goes into Swedish poodle-rock :D
    Stomped on a DOD Overdrive/Preamp 250 for extra gain before the second part, BIAS takes pedals just like a real amp does, quite awesome!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  13. Blix

Blix Member

More stuff I did over the last few days, first a little ditty for another thread to demonstrate my Arion SCH-ZD, using a clean sound:

Some 80's hard rock riffs:

And lastly, a thread from me isn't complete without some Van Halen! :D
    Eventide Micropitch added.

14. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

I have really been loving the BIAS Amp and FX - it doesn't seem like it gets much love here at TGP - but out of all the software solutions I have tried, the BIAS amps sound and feel the most "real" to me, especially for those low gain/clean/edge of breakup amp sounds. I dialed up a Matchless amp last night, and just sat there playing for over an hour with just the amp....no FX or anything else......I completely lost track of time just reveling in the tone and feel of that amp model.

I can't wait to try the Bias Amp head - it's $1099 for the pre-sale - and 600 watts of power.

CubanB and slugworth like this.
  15. slugworth

slugworth Member

Bobby D in the house!

I agree with you. Lotta folks around here are stuck on S-Gear though. Plus Positive Grid has had a series of marketing missteps that cost them a lot of goodwill around here.

Bobby D likes this.
  16. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

If you're using a 4x12 cab like a Mesa or Marshall(16 ohm) it's actually 300 watts RMS class D.

17. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

I was a beta tester for them and once the release version was finished I didn't end up getting the deal I was promised.I still ended up buying AMP,FX,and Pedal though and they are excellent,but they pissed me off.

CubanB and slugworth like this.
  18. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

what did they do? i don't remember anything like that......but i was largely offline for a couple of years, so perhaps it occurred when i was taking a break from the forums.

I think Scuffham's S-Gear software is good stuff as well, but for some reason the BIAS software just really caught my ear.

As someone who grew up and started playing in the late 60s/early 70s, I started with an amp, a guitar, a fuzz face, and a crybaby. the most basic of gear, and it grew slowly from there. I bought a Tascam analog 4-track reel to reel deck in t he early 80s, and that started my recording career. Effects started to blossom, and I had all the Rockman modules and other rack gear like Eventide and MXR.

I have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on guitar and recording gear over the past 30 years - and that's not an exaggeration. I have truly spent well into the six figures on gear and recording.

and now......I have sitting on my coffee table an Ipad Air 2 model, and it's loaded with a 48 track digital recording studio (Auria), BIAS Amps and FX, and my little Bose bluetooth speaker as a monitor. I can do more with that iPad and that software than I could have done with a million dollar recording studio in 1982. It's truly mind-blowing the gear we have access to now, and at such a low cost.

Noodler, rutxer and CubanB like this.
  19. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

here's a little introductory video I did yesterday using my iPad, BIAS amp and JamUP FX, and a Bose bluetooth speaker:

lerxst6 and CubanB like this.
  20. Two Pound Chicken

Two Pound Chicken Member

I really dig the 80s riff clip. Nice work! Jamming to the VH clip now.

:spank

Blix likes this.