Positive Grid BIAS AMP!! (really good)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Blix, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

@Blix - I love your "poodle rock" and your 5150/VH riffage - sounding GREAT!

2. CubanB

CubanB Member

I've seen and heard a lot of good stuff from Bias users on Youtube in the last 6 months. Most of my favourite covers/videos are usually either Axe Fx or Bias. Granted, these players can make anything sound good but the fact that they CHOOSE to use these.. says something. I haven't seen any Helix/Amplifire ones yet outside of this forum but it'll probably happen at some point.

I've been an amp user for many years but want to try the latest modellers at some point and Bias software is a prime candidate. The three I'm really interested in are Axe FX (expensive), Amplifire (nice size and price) and Bias (need an ipad and the footswitching isn't ideal). They've all good positives and negatives. I love the Bias interface and tweakability in terms of the interface and modding options. A floor based pedal based on Bias would be awesome.

The covers I've heard with Bias really made me want to consider it. I enjoyed the clips in this thread, nice work OP. Erotomania especially sounded great, the rhythm sound was really good, the leads were a bit thin but not bad considering you didn't touch anything.

WWE theme songs mightn't be your thing, but if they are.. this guy makes the BIAS stuff sound awesome.

3. PBGas

PBGas Member

I am a regular user of Bias Pro and Bias FX Pro. I like both of them. I tend to bypass the cabs and use Wos-III in my DAW for a better overall presentation. What I don't like is how Positive Grid is run. They have too many cookies in the jar and not enough hands to get things completed in a timely fashion or properly support. Many folks have had many issues with updates and them not being addressed from a customer service standpoint.
    It's pretty easy to find evidence of this everywhere. I would have bought the new Bias head myself but I think I am going to wait this one out and get one on the used market for a lot less once people move to the next best thing.

Either way, the product works nicely and sounds very good.

Anthony Newcomb likes this.
  4. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Lots of love here for Bias, not so much for JamUp as there are issues using midi to select the effects (won't get into that here). The really compelling thing about Bias, other than how great it sounds, is the control you have over the internals of the models. Nothing else I've seen comes close, especially if you are used to modding real amps. The UI is amazingly good.

However I haven't used Bias in awhile after being captivated by a Kemper. I probably would have been first in line for a Bias head, but got tired of waiting and sprung for a Kemper. I can get the same control over an amp's internals with the Kemper as with Bias, but with the Kemper I have to physically modify a real amp and then profile it. :)

5. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

I'm guessing you haven't tried Head Case.

6. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

I really didn't like Bias iOS when I first bought it about a year ago. I like mid gain Marshall sounds, and whenever I would set the front panel gain knob below 7, the sound would get noticeably thin and tinny (using Apogee Jam). Anyone else experience this?

A few days ago I gave it one more try before deleting it off my ipad. Through mostly dumb luck, I stumbled on a combination that solved the problem completely - I set the master app input gain pretty far below unity (nowhere near yellow), front panel amp gain dimed, then seasoned to taste using the preamp tube distortion deep edit control. I was able to get a clean-on-the-edge-of-breakup JTM45 tone that was fat and full with excellent dynamics, clarity, and string definition - way way better than the JTM45 preset.

Even the cab sim - which I'd never loved before - seemed to sound better. Not sure what happened because I really didn't do that much - not compared to all the tweaking I did when I first got it - but it sounds outstanding now. Compared it to Mobile Pod, Amplitube 4, and Tonestack, and Bias was the clear winner. The others all suffered from "blanket over the speaker" in varying degrees.

Has anyone else been through this scenario?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Anthony Newcomb likes this.
  7. johnnyninja

johnnyninja Member

I don't like to be negative about anyone's product because I know the kind of hard work that goes into developing products like Bias. They have accomplished some great milestones with the software.

Having said that, I simply cannot get inspired to play through it. It feels and sounds "plastic" to me. Maybe it's me since so many others are diggin' it, but I tried again after reading this thread and didn't come away feeling any different. I plugged back into my Tech 21 pedal, which is my current rig while I build my board, and it was like night and day regarding feel and tone. I have no aversion to digital pedals or software, but i'm just not feeling it with a bias iOS.

8. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Had a chance to play a head locally and... It was awful.

Like the online demos suggest, it is utterly fake and weird sounding.

And it was sitting next to a Helix, which made me even more embarrassed for Positive Grid, because the easy comparison of the two products makes the Bias head seem like a joke or a toy.

9. Progbusters

Progbusters Member

I've played my Bias head at band practice about 6 times already. I have the volume up loud and it works for me and my one sound. I don't dabble with it. I use the computers to dabble. some tones on the computer (FX and amp) are ok some are weak, until you play it loud, then it sounds better. The one i made to use on the head though is doing good.

10. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

Was reading a post of mine from earlier this year - still have hesitancies to say Bias would be my always go-to app, but after playing with some 3rd party IRs, I definitely like it a lot more than I used to. I’ve tried a sampling of IRs from OH, Redwirez, Celestion, Rosen, etc, and any of them are a significant improvement over the Bias speaker sims.

Currently Bias is neck and neck with S-Gear for me. Real amp feel is pretty darned good in both of them...Bias seems to have an edge for EQ insert modules and overall flexibility (it’s nice to be able to send amps with custom IRs to the ipad version).

Anthony Newcomb and slugworth like this.
  11. slugworth

slugworth Member

O RLY? That's a new feature I didn't know about! Must try!

Do you know if there is any way to get those amps into a BIAS FX preset on iPhone? I have both iPad and iPhone, but the times when I'd typically use iOS to jam are when I have my phone but not my iPad handy.

12. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

I’m a technology idiot, so not sure I’m answering your question, but here goes:
    I load the IR I want into Bias desktop. Tweak and save the tone. Then I upload the tone on tonecloud. Go to my ipad version, touch tonecloud button, and one of the options on the pop up menu is “my uploaded tones”. Touch that, and all my personal uploads are listed. I touch the one I just uploaded on desktop, and it downloads to ipad, with the IR intact. I haven’t tried this with iphone version, currently don’t have bias on my phone for memory space reasons. Maybe someone can chime in on this?

In fact, I’ve noticed that you can download anybody’s tone from tonecloud with IRs onto your ipad. You get the tone for yourself, (free) IR and all. But...the second you attempt to resave the tone as a new save as, the IR goes away and defaults back to a regular Bias cab. Understandable, as otherwise everyone would use this workaround as a way to get paid IRs for free. You can keep the tone as-is, but there’s a 99% chance that you would want to tweak it to taste, and you can’t save that new edited tone without losing the IR.

As for importing into FX, I see no reason why you couldn’t although I haven’t tried it and again, I don’t have Bias products on my phone currently. I though FX wasn’t available for iphone anyway though, have they unlocked it for iphone recently?

13. PBGas

PBGas Member

I looked back and my posts as well from this. Now that Helix native is around, I’ve pretty much not used Bias at all these days. They have been pretty quiet on the development front as well which is interesting.

14. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

So Helix is that good huh? I haven’t been impressed with anything L6 did up through HD500 but I’m always open to another look. My main frustration with most modeling is that for Marshall sounds, they almost always miss the toppy rasp. Haven’t really found anything sub Kemper that gets it right, would be willing to look at Helix if they got that right.

15. PBGas

PBGas Member

Honestly, it works and sounds great for me! I like it a lot. I've had a few kemper units over the years as well to compare. The unit has everything I need in it and really has worked flawlessly for me. You can really tweak the stock IRs with ease to make them sound great. If you don't like them, then there are optional IRs to import and use. The main thing is that it is really super easy to use. Native works great as well and sounds exactly like my rack unit.

16. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

How’s this for timing? Just saw Line 6 is offering 15 day free trial of Helix native as of today. Guess I know what I’m doing tonight.

17. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

I fundamentally agree with those who observe that Bias is tempermental and difficult. When I first started using it I thought it sounded awful. Several times I have resolved to drop it. However, with 3rd party IRs, tweaking and AB-ing vs SGear and Hybrit, I have been able to come up with fantastic tones in it, plus the unique ability to transfer those tones to my ipad. That’s what keeps me coming back.

FWIW, you don’t even have to buy the professional version to get the IR loader if you’re using Bias as a plug-in - you can just deactivate the cab section in Bias and then run it through a free IR loader in your DAW.

jrw32 likes this.
  18. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

I also have Bias have it since it was iPad only before that i had the Jamup app
    I agree that some high gain amps sounds very good
    I also DONT like that it takes forever to load the plugin it has become better but some versions ago it took very long time and it is still very buggy.

Another fact is that the AMP version sounds a tiny bit better than the same amps in Bias FX
    No wonder since their Amp version is basically alot bigger in the file sice and it dont include FX in the app.

This could be placebo but i am not the only one who think so.

I also have done exclusive testing agains other ampsims and it doesnt sound better than the other ampsims when using the same IR and same settings.

I have wanted to get all those fanboys to pickout their favourite and noone ever has answered i also included freewares i guess many was supriced to hear that their favourite plugin dont sound better than a freeware.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 12:19 PM
  19. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

FWIW I started working with Mercuriall Spark yesterday, and for Marshall sounds (that’s all it does), it may surpass Bias. Will update after the honeymoon, but initial impressions vs Bias (using same IRs for fair comparison) were that Spark had a bigger overall sound and better amp-like feel. Not night and day better, but better enough to justify switching if it survives the honeymoon period.

On the down side, wasn’t impressed with the cab or effects section, but I have go-to IRs in my loader that will always be my preferred method anyway, and I don’t care about effects. Supposedly the included Tube Screamer model is one of the better VST TS’s you can find, but I really never liked Tube Screamers so I didn’t try it out.

20. Anthony Newcomb

Anthony Newcomb Supporting Member

Hey @Blix, mind me asking what guitars your using for those demos?

Great playing btw :aok