Positive Grid Spark Oh Yeah.

sitedrifter

Platinum Supporting Member
I tried my new Spark Amp today.

1. Seems to be built exceptional well
2. A little boomy on bass even with it turned to zero You really need to use guitar tone/volume controls to tame bass. If you have a guitar without tone controls I'm not sure you will be happy. If PG adds an EQ it will be awesome
3. The bluetooth app is buggy with it's connection. I think it is a programming problem in the app as it disconnects once connected then you connect again and it is stable as you would want. I think they have a process out of order in the app concerning bluetooth should be easy for them to fix.
4. You really need to install their Asio drivers for the firmware updater to work properly (it will hang if their asio drivers are not installed)
5. Mine came with the latest firmware 1.2.3.37
6. I like this little amp and I hope it progresses with updates for fixes and new features.
7. The built in tuner is accurate
8. Volume controls when playing audio from your PC via USB do not work you have to use the PC controls.
9. Did I say I like the amp? I do!!! Well worth the $250 I paid but who knows when the gig bag will show up.

That is all for now, back to jamming.

PAH

I use my Spark for guitar and bass. For guitar, it definitely is bass heavy, and for bass it is pretty good, but sustained low notes do distort a bit.

I've seen lots of posts about replacing the speakers and partially or completely blocking the port to eliminate the excessive bass / boominess. Has anyone who has done this played bass through it after the mod? If so, howdoes the mod sound for Bass?

Thanks!

JoeInOttawa

Am I imagining it, or did Positive Grid have a sale on up until Monday? I ask, because all of the emails I was sure I saw from them evaporated from my inbox...

crispsandwich

I love the look and feature set of the Spark, but Positive Grid seem like such a shady company to deal with. From everything I have seen over the years, they seem far more interested in promoting new products and securing their next customers, than fixing existing issues with products. It's all about the $$$$$.

If this was made by anyone else, I'd buy it.

madmarcus1960

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe a coax for using it a a bluetooth speaker, but too much high end might effect the way the presets sound. I feel this PRV midrange speaker is a great fit, made for HIFI speaker builds. See the description:

"This full range speaker delivers broad frequency coverage and flat midrange response that ensures vocals and instruments to deliver ideal sound.The 4” PRV Audio 4MR60-4 is a pro audio midrange with very high sensitivity and a smooth extended frequency response up to 8 kHz. The small dimensions and high output make it very useful to use in compact line array systems as a transition between the mid bass and high frequency way.It is also applicable in home theaters, satellites, and surround speakers as well as in car audio when you are limited in space and require extended frequency response. Nominal Impedance: 4ΩRated Power Handling: 30 WattsProgram Power: 60 WattsSensitivity (1W/1m): 90 dBResonance Frequency (Fs): 89.88 HzFrequency Range at -10 dB: 90 - 15,000 HzRecommended Hi Pass X-Over: 190 Hz (12 dB/Octave) "

madmarcus1960

Silver Supporting Member
Disclaimer, I bought mine used and have no problem modding it. The PRVs are returnable and plug and play, no cutting wires or drilling new holes.

PAH

Maybe a coax for using it a a bluetooth speaker, but too much high end might effect the way the presets sound. I feel this PRV midrange speaker is a great fit, made for HIFI speaker builds. See the description:

"This full range speaker delivers broad frequency coverage and flat midrange response that ensures vocals and instruments to deliver ideal sound.The 4” PRV Audio 4MR60-4 is a pro audio midrange with very high sensitivity and a smooth extended frequency response up to 8 kHz. The small dimensions and high output make it very useful to use in compact line array systems as a transition between the mid bass and high frequency way.It is also applicable in home theaters, satellites, and surround speakers as well as in car audio when you are limited in space and require extended frequency response. Nominal Impedance: 4ΩRated Power Handling: 30 WattsProgram Power: 60 WattsSensitivity (1W/1m): 90 dBResonance Frequency (Fs): 89.88 HzFrequency Range at -10 dB: 90 - 15,000 HzRecommended Hi Pass X-Over: 190 Hz (12 dB/Octave) "
@madmarcus1960 Compared to the orginal speakers...

Would you say the PRVs decrease bass, tighten/define bass, both, or neither?

Would you say the PRVs increase treble, clarify treble, both or neither?

Thanks!

harry65

Silver Supporting Member
@madmarcus1960 Compared to the orginal speakers...

Would you say the PRVs decrease bass, tighten/define bass, both, or neither?

Would you say the PRVs increase treble, clarify treble, both or neither?

Thanks!
I too want to know this, my wonderful friend just sent me one today in the mail out of the blue, it really sounds great but there’s this high-end weirdness and it is very boomy , I love it so far but I’m very intrigued by the speaker change

Matters

I’ve been using my spark with the replacement speakers for a couple weeks now and thought I would add some additional thoughts since people seem to be curious about them. I also plugged the port when I replaced the speakers. I had two complaints with the amp how it arrived. A boomy, loose low end and a strange, harsh high end. I tried lowering the bass and treble but ended up with a muddy mess that was still overly boomy. After the speaker replacement I was able to increase the treble for a huge increase in clarity. This gave the amp a much more realistic, snappy and touch sensitive improvement. The bass become smoother, rounder and tighter. I don’t feel like I lost any actual bass output. Just improved the quality of the low end. This also HUGELY improved the amp as a Bluetooth speaker. The biggest testament to the new speakers is that after an initial hour of finding four tones I like and programming them to the amp itself, I no longer even use the app. I plug in, hit one of the four preset buttons and get to work practicing guitar. No more feeling like I constantly need to fiddle with the settings. I couldn’t be happier with the upgrade.

harry65

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been using my spark with the replacement speakers for a couple weeks now and thought I would add some additional thoughts since people seem to be curious about them. I also plugged the port when I replaced the speakers. I had two complaints with the amp how it arrived. A boomy, loose low end and a strange, harsh high end. I tried lowering the bass and treble but ended up with a muddy mess that was still overly boomy. After the speaker replacement I was able to increase the treble for a huge increase in clarity. This gave the amp a much more realistic, snappy and touch sensitive improvement. The bass become smoother, rounder and tighter. I don’t feel like I lost any actual bass output. Just improved the quality of the low end. This also HUGELY improved the amp as a Bluetooth speaker. The biggest testament to the new speakers is that after an initial hour of finding four tones I like and programming them to the amp itself, I no longer even use the app. I plug in, hit one of the four preset buttons and get to work practicing guitar. No more feeling like I constantly need to fiddle with the settings. I couldn’t be happier with the upgrade.
Thanks, going to order them tonight from Amazon, are they pretty easy to put in?

PAH

Thanks. I use my Spark for guitar, bass and as a blutooth speaker For guitar, I've been pretty happy with the tone, but I generally dial the bass down to nearly 0, and crank the treble up toward the high end. For bass, I'm reasonably happy, but there is a buzz/fart sound when I sustain low notes; I haven't been able to isolate it, but I think it is the speaker cone going flappy. As a blutooth speaker, I say the sound is just OK, with weak cymbals and a boomy low end that overlays everthing - kind of like a blanket over the speaker.

I'm going to order a pair of the PRVs and hopefully it will balance / tighten / clarify these things.

Cheers!

Trending Topics