• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Positive Grid Spark Oh Yeah.

dcooper830

I love my Spark but YES, the lack of EQ make it muddy and harsh most of the time. Ive found a few good settings but its still congested sounding. My NUX Mighty BT20 sounds much better.

But i love the features of the SPARK and its worth keeping.. so I ordered the PRV speakers off Amazon. If they improve the sound in the way that people are saying, I'll be very happy.

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
I got my hands on one yesterday, and will be spending some time with it to write a review. But it's already been decided that the opening line will be what I said to my contact: "How do you not just sit here all day and play with this?" This thing is a lot of fun and the play-along feature is a great practice tool. As someone who has jerry-rigged ways to play along with iReal Pro for practice, I can see this being a great way to spend 2 or 3 hundred bucks. More to come... I had other things to get through so I haven't taken it home yet.

FarbrorMartin

The PG web site says they have the Spark in stock. Is this true or just the same trick they pulled during the preorder period? Has anyone ordered and received one lately?

FarbrorMartin

How good does the Spark sound compared to other reasonably priced alternatives?

I'm looking for a setup that gives me good tones out if the box, but I'm not averse to tweaking and testing different sounds and settings. I have a Zoom G1four which is capable of good tones, but only with lots of tweaking. Out of the box it's sounds pretty bad and uninspiring.
I only play at home, and have no interest in gigging at all. I play Metallica, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, punk, acoustic stuff. Most genres except maybe classic rock or jazz.
I'm not very price sensitive, I just hate buying something only to realize I should have got something else.
I'm looking for a setup that I can keep using for several years without feeling the need for upgrading. I'm still learning guitar so I thing I'll get more discerning as I get better.
Other alternatives I'm considering: Mustang Gtx 100, Katana 100, Pod Go + JBL monitors.

How do the Spark effects/amps compare quality wise?

From the reviews I've watched the Spark sounds really good. Especially the high gain (metal) tones sound unusually good compared to say a Katana. And even the cleans sound natural in a way I can't seem to get with my Zoom pedal. Like they have more dynamics or something. But the reviews mostly use the direct audio via USB and not the speaker, so I'm not sure what the room sound is like.

I assume the Pod go would be better (and twice as expensive) but how big a difference is there? And even if the Pod Go is better, is it overkill/too complicated for a hobby/noob player?

Sorry for rambling but I'm just not sure what to go for

J.T.

Silver Supporting Member
Just want to clarify that the invite system for US/Canada is not automated, Matt (Picone) from FAS has commented he and Mark Day are handing invites today. So yes, US/Canada's orders are still shipping right now.
How good does the Spark sound compared to other reasonably priced alternatives?

I'm looking for a setup that gives me good tones out if the box, but I'm not averse to tweaking and testing different sounds and settings. I have a Zoom G1four which is capable of good tones, but only with lots of tweaking. Out of the box it's sounds pretty bad and uninspiring.
I only play at home, and have no interest in gigging at all. I play Metallica, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, punk, acoustic stuff. Most genres except maybe classic rock or jazz.
I'm not very price sensitive, I just hate buying something only to realize I should have got something else.
I'm looking for a setup that I can keep using for several years without feeling the need for upgrading. I'm still learning guitar so I thing I'll get more discerning as I get better.
Other alternatives I'm considering: Mustang Gtx 100, Katana 100, Pod Go + JBL monitors.

How do the Spark effects/amps compare quality wise?

From the reviews I've watched the Spark sounds really good. Especially the high gain (metal) tones sound unusually good compared to say a Katana. And even the cleans sound natural in a way I can't seem to get with my Zoom pedal. Like they have more dynamics or something. But the reviews mostly use the direct audio via USB and not the speaker, so I'm not sure what the room sound is like.

I assume the Pod go would be better (and twice as expensive) but how big a difference is there? And even if the Pod Go is better, is it overkill/too complicated for a hobby/noob player?

Sorry for rambling but I'm just not sure what to go for
I think it sounds great and has great potential IF they can address the EQ issue . There is no way to remove the bass heavy muddled sound as there is no EQ and the TMB knobs can’t dial it out on the amp or APP. I have seen statements saying that there is no plan to do so from PG and others saying it is this way to accommodate Bass etc. That being said there is a whole bunch of people doing mods to the cab and replacing speakers to try and rectify the bass problem. As it stands for me personally, it’s way too dark and fatiguing to listen to for an extended period of time. If you can get past or not bothered by it, then it might work for you. Amazing value for the price of a boutique pedal for what it does .

Last edited:

mac jones

I think the mod is almost mandatory for guitar, so that should be done before judging it. Mainly, plugging the port. Those ports can be terrible if not done exactly right. Then swapping the speakers. A few simple mods to the cheap amp.

Nice looking unit, except those gold knob inserts fall off. At least on mine. If they are all like mine, re-gluing them might be another required mod.

Last edited:

madmarcus1960

My post on swapping to the 4" PRV midrange speakers and blocking the port with a real acoustic damping material, seams to have inspired others to try it. The feedback is extremely positive. I don't really use mine as a bluetooth speaker, but it had a profound impact on the quality of the amp sims. Smoother highs, tighter lows.
IMHO, if you're intent on keeping the unit, the mod is a must.

FarbrorMartin

I think it sounds great and has great potential IF they can address the EQ issue . There is no way to remove the bass heavy muddled sound as there is no EQ and the TMB knobs can’t dial it out on the amp or APP. I have seen statements saying that there is no plan to do so from PG and others saying it is this way to accommodate Bass etc. That being said there is a whole bunch of people doing mods to the cab and replacing speakers to try and rectify the bass problem. As it stands for me personally, it’s way too dark and fatiguing to listen to for an extended period of time. If you can get past or not bothered by it , that then it might work for you. Amazing value for the price of a boutique pedal for what it does .
Ok, that's good to know. I assume changing the speakers would void the warranty, so that sounds like a real drawback.
Would you suggest something else instead of the Spark? I'd prefer spending less than $600.

MountainCraft

Yeah , but no audio. I should hear the audio out from Spark right? I chose the right driver and track was recorded too, i just can't hear it back

Don't know if you figured this out yet, but when I selected the ASIO driver in my DAW (Mixbus) it wouldn't work for me, so I selected the Native 'MME' Driver and everything worked...

That said, I don't recall ever installing PGs ASIO driver or seeing it install automatically when I plugged the USB in... So it's possible that the ASIO driver I had listed was from Behringer from the XR18 setup...

I dunno, but with the MME driver audio goes back and forth between the Spark and my DAW, effortlessly and simultaneously...

(Mixbus 4, Windows 10)

MountainCraft

I really like this little amp. I’d like it a lot more if streaming Bluetooth audio was louder.

That's why I'm considering installing switching jacks for external speakers, and making a separate speaker cabinet with bigger full range speakers in it.. 2 x 8'-10" at 4 ohm, or 4x 8"-10" at 8 ohm (series parallel to get 4 ohms)..

More speaker surface should give this thing much more volume...

MountainCraft

I think the mod is almost mandatory for guitar, so that should be done before judging it. Mainly, plugging the port. Those ports can be terrible if not done exactly right. Then swapping the speakers. A few simple mods to the cheap amp.

Nice looking unit, except those gold knob inserts fall off. At least on mine. If they are all like mine, re-gluing them might be another required mod.

I've seen that some people are replacing them with Marshall knobs

luv2pick2

Silver Supporting Member
my app for the spark is not completely analyzing any of the songs I am loading from youtube or Apple Music. The progress bar goes almost to complete and then stays unfinished. Is there a known problem with this? Is there a fix for this?

Last edited:

BlueSnMettle

My post on swapping to the 4" PRV midrange speakers and blocking the port with a real acoustic damping material, seams to have inspired others to try it. The feedback is extremely positive. I don't really use mine as a bluetooth speaker, but it had a profound impact on the quality of the amp sims. Smoother highs, tighter lows.
IMHO, if you're intent on keeping the unit, the mod is a must.
Could you link the post please?

MountainCraft

So, I have two of those replacement speakers in my Amazon cart, as well as another power supply (want to get a few off them and have them plugged in at a couple places around the home so all I gotta do is carry the amp to that location.. less crap to set up)...

Couple questions... Do the new speakers increase volume at all? I suspect not, but I'm hoping...

I need a suggestion of what to order in the way of muffler for stuffing the bass port..

Thanks,
Mark

Trending Topics