Positive Grid Spark Streaming Volume - Bluetooth or Aux In

jdag

For those that have received their Spark amp...

Has anyone noticed that the volume level for streaming music is relatively low through either bluetooth or the aux in port?

When playing backing music I have to have the Music Volume knob cranked all the way up while the Output knob is only at about the 9 o'clock position (so about 1/4 volume).

I realize there are other variable (Gain, Master, guitar itself, etc.). But I've adjusted many of those settings and still have to keep the Output knob very low.

I have also adjusted the output of the device itself, and I've tried multiple devices including phone, tablet, and laptop.

Anything I might be missing???

Side note: I find it much simpler to balance the mix on the THR10ii amp at various listening levels, which leads me to think that the Spark is the culprit.

jdag

Same here, have to crank the audio and Output and turn down the guitar.
OK, at least it does not appear to be me. I didn't think it was user error as I can really simply balance (and get more streaming volume) from the THR10ii. Conversely the Spark is louder for guitar than the THR. Seems maybe to be some sort of "limit" on streaming output?????

Fireproof

Oh no, #AuxGate! :D

But that would suck if that's the case across the board. Seems unnecessarily limiting. So if you were to use the Spark as just a "bluetooth speaker" for music, does it not get sufficiently loud if you want to crank it? Or is it just that the guitar is even louder?

jdag

So...I think I may have jumped the gun and overreacted. I will start by saying that I would have thought that the Spark streaming of audio would be louder. BUT...it is virtually identical to the THR10ii.

I very unscientifically compared the 2 using a SPL meter. At about 6 feet away with the meter in the same spot, using Bluetooth, and with each amp side by side, they both showed about 82-84db while playing the same segment of an AC/DC song. I even played the song from the same iPhone so it was 100% identical. The only change I made was to disconnect and reconnect Bluetooth between the 2 amps.

I think the difference is that the Spark amp is significantly louder and fuller than the THR. So to mix guitar and streaming audio, the volume has to be set relatively low on the Spark dial. My eyes were fooling my ears.

But I go back and say I that I would have thought that the Spark streaming of audio would be louder. It seems as though it is purposely limited because the amp can certainly push out much higher dBs.

jdag

I wanted to re-open this thread to see if anyone has had a chance to experiment with volume of streaming audio.

I am still very underwhelmed by the volume level of the aux/bluetooth/USB streaming with the Spark. I am finding that I really have to have the guitar volume well lower than I would want for jamming, otherwise my guitar overwhelms the streaming audio.

And that is a really bad thing for about 1,000 reasons. ;-)

I know there are a ton of variables around output volume, but to give some context:

American Pro Strat with volume knob on 8
Streaming a song or the jamming feature through Spark app with iPhone bluetooth volume set to max
Spark music volume knob set to max
Using a stock preset with no settings changes
Output volume knob has to be set to the 9 o'clock position (so at about the equivalent to 2 or 3 out of 10)

It's not "quiet", but really not a heck of a lot louder than TV. Easily and clearly can hear the guitar strings being stuck by the pick.

Any thoughts???

Fireproof

That's a big bummer for sure. Did you try contacting Positive Grid Support to see if they have anything to say about the issue?

Elantric

I wanted to re-open this thread to see if anyone has had a chance to experiment with volume of streaming audio.

I am still very underwhelmed by the volume level of the aux/bluetooth/USB streaming with the Spark. I am finding that I really have to have the guitar volume well lower than I would want for jamming, otherwise my guitar overwhelms the streaming audio.

And that is a really bad thing for about 1,000 reasons. ;-)

I know there are a ton of variables around output volume, but to give some context:

American Pro Strat with volume knob on 8
Streaming a song or the jamming feature through Spark app with iPhone bluetooth volume set to max
Spark music volume knob set to max
Using a stock preset with no settings changes
Output volume knob has to be set to the 9 o'clock position (so at about the equivalent to 2 or 3 out of 10)

It's not "quiet", but really not a heck of a lot louder than TV. Easily and clearly can hear the guitar strings being stuck by the pick.

Any thoughts???
Compare with a third party Bluetooth receiver connected to the Spark's Aux Input

jdag

That's a big bummer for sure. Did you try contacting Positive Grid Support to see if they have anything to say about the issue?
They said they’d potentially address via a future firmware update.

Compare with a third party Bluetooth receiver connected to the Spark's Aux Input
Good idea. However I have tried a direct connection using a 3.5mm cable as well as USB and the results were the same.

jdag

UPDATE: Higher volume achieved

I did some experimenting tonight. I was able to get the volume of streaming audio much louder when NOT streaming via the Spark app.

By sending bluetooth audio via my iPhone (same phone I’ve used the Spark app on) using the native Apple Music app there was a significant difference. Further, I was also able to get much higher volumes streaming from my Mac.

So it seems that there is an issue with the app, not the hardware.

Fireproof

UPDATE: Higher volume achieved

I did some experimenting tonight. I was able to get the volume of streaming audio much louder when NOT streaming via the Spark app.

By sending bluetooth audio via my iPhone (same phone I’ve used the Spark app on) using the native Apple Music app there was a significant difference. Further, I was also able to get much higher volumes streaming from my Mac.

So it seems that there is an issue with the app, not the hardware.
That’s good to know. So it’s clearly the app that’s causing the problem, which means that they can fix it with a software update. You should send them your findings!

Trending Topics