Possible bad fret?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Nervustwitch, May 6, 2015.

1. Nervustwitch

Nervustwitch Member

Ok about a week ago I bought a used 97 epiphone less Paul standard plus from guitar center. Well it seemed fine except needed new strings and had high action. So early today I dropped it off for a setup.

Well come to find out it had a bad nut on it,so since I just got it from them the tech did a full setup and new nut for $20.

Well I picked it up just before close and it felt really good but then I found it.....

When trying to fret on the 13th fret with a and d strings I get basically those 2 dead notes. They buzz,do not sustain at all and it comes through the amp clean or distorted.

Now all frets look good,no string dents or really no scratches from the strings. I mean my late 80's rg ibanez has much more fret wear than this and it still plays great,does need a dress though.

When I picked it up the tech was gone for the day so I didn't get any info from him.
    Does it sound like in need of fret dress,new frets or new fret?

Guitar center here has a 45 day satisfaction guarantee but I also payed the 25 for 1 year repair coverage just in case of something like this.

So what does it sound like will need to be done to make it a good playable guitar? Providing the warranty repair covers it. It doesn't look like it's really ever been played.

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

A Full Set-up and New Nut for $20 bucks ?....Sounds like You got what You Paid for, I would strongly suggest finding an actual Tech (and they won't be workin at Guitar Center).....:red

3. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

You could have a dead fret - try pressing on it and see if it pops back up.

4. Nervustwitch

Nervustwitch Member

Well turns out the 13th fret was popping up,just couldn't see it,then after he fixed that all the higher frets were doing the same.

I returned the guitar and got a epi less Paul plus top pro,honey burst...new instead of used. Only got the used since it looked in good shape and was only $300....new one was 500 and I'm much happier. Also dropped a set of Duncan's in it.

As for the tech,he actually knew his stuff....wasn't a young kid. I can set up my own guitars no problem,but hell I figured $20 for a torx graphite nut install and full setup I'd let him do it. He did a great job setting up the bad guitar,it felt great until you hit the 13th fret only on a and d strings. He didn't charge me for the nut either...gc was trying to make it right and I didn't ask for it to be free...didn't have to.

We are not a real big city so maybe gc is not too bad here. We only have one other shop in town and I will not step foot any where near it.

Thanks for any help though.

5. Nervustwitch

Nervustwitch Member

Sorry forgot to say he normally charges much more for setups but he cut me a discount since they sold the guitar to me with a nut for an acoustic and was over looked. I didn't even catch it and I've been playing and working on them since late 80's.