Possible BB problem?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Iceman, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Iceman

Iceman Member

All right, well, I just picked up a BB Preamp from a forumite and I'm not exactly sure I'm hearing what I should be hearing. Granted, this is my first step into boost/overdrive pedals aside form my RC, but it just doesn't seem to be like what I heard from the clips that inspired me to buy it. I've tried it with Marshall JMP on clean, on distortion, and direct into my computer and it just seems to be a buzzy, lifeless mess. Using it alone and with the RC, it seems to lack the warmth and the body that I hear from clips. I've changed the battery and I've used boss power supplies. Would anyone be willing to making a clip of a strictly direct track and then engaging the BB to see if I'm crazy?

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. JEMT

JEMT Member

What volume did you have the BB set to? Bass? Your amp pre & master volumes?

The BB has a pretty dynamic EQ and volume boost and not setting them high enough could be part of your problem.

-Jason

3. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

I'm in the minority on this, but I think the gain on the BB sucks. That's why I sold mine. It makes a nice clean boost, but for distortion/od I think it's pretty lifeless.

4. Iceman

Iceman Member

Jason,

On the Marshall, it was fairly high volume. It was a '79 JMP with both the pre and volume set to 4-5. Everything on the BB was set at about unity before tweaking in minor amounts.

5. Iceman

Iceman Member

See, I didn't wanna write it off so quickly, but with my original plan of having my RC shape my clean sound and using the BB as my fundamental dirty sound, I'm currently on my way to the same sentiment with how its performed so far.

6. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

Thanks for that review, I m considering getting one, so its good to hear the good bad and the ugly. I have fender amps, and it looks like alot of the test vids and demos are more people playing them Fenders. Are you satisfied with your R/C?. My first impression was hearing Alan Hinds demo'ing his on the Xotic website. It sounded very low and bassy to me. Guess thats not a bad thing when your playing single coils, it helps fatten it up. Does anyone else love theres and plays there B/B thru Marshalls?.Im going to be real hard to please cause Ive been playing thru an Eternity O/D the last 6 months, dude, check one of these out

7. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before

With some tweaking, you can get some pretty smooth lead tones out of it, but for my taste, the gain was still a bit too grainy.

8. Iceman

Iceman Member

On the turn, the RC is badass. I love that thing. No qualms with it whatsoever. Definitely adds sparkle and clarity to your tone and I find it works equally well in both clean and distorted amps.

9. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I'm using the BB through a Super Reverb RI. I've had it for a couple of weeks and practiced and tape recorded it with our blues band. For me, the majic spot is between 10 and 12 on the gain. Volume around noon, bass and treble both at 12. With the Super volume up, the BB (also due to my playing technique and style) sounds very articulate and SRVish. Cords with guitar in 4th position is awesome and inspiring! I get way closer to the SRV tone I've been after (BB=Blues Breaker?) than I get either with the TS/9 or Blues Devil. However, the BB driving the blues devil is simply blues bliss!

Mike

10. Dale

Dale Member

It was not for me for rhythm, lead worked out for Santana. I like the Twin Tube better.

11. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Daniel, this BB will not sound good with a Marshall or Marhsall type amp IMO. Try the AC and I think you'll have exactly what you want. I'm the sales and artist relations guy for Xotic and I've realized that our pedals work great for certain applications but have limitations in others. HOwever, this is what my ears tell me. Some others may just like the BB through a Marshall though.

12. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Wow - I LOVE the BB through a Marshall! For me the BB isn't too picky which amp I play it through - Fender, Marshall or Badcat. I use gain pretty low, though - usually below 9.00. Treble at unity, bass bumped up a bit, and master at noon or higher. I find that it takes away some harshness, fills out the mids in a good way and is quite dynamic until you crank the gain. I like it with SC or HB - sounds great with P90s too. I also like it with Filter'tron equipped Gretsches.

Fo my main OD I prefer Menatones or the amp's OD, but love the BB as an alternative or as a lead boost.

13. tuna

tuna Member

I have the BB,AC and RC and for my ears, the BB needs to have the bass eq bumped up as it can be a little bright. The AC is darker, tends to color your tone somewhat and I need to add treble to this pedal. I leave the RC on all the time. I think I like the BB a little more than the AC, but also don't think I have not worked with the AC enough to get it tweked where I like it.

14. Iceman

Iceman Member

Damn, well, thanks for the honest and unbiased opinion! I'll keep tweaking, but it just seems too grainy and I'm not hearing the hyped "warmth" that I was looking so forward to.