Possible ES-335 purchase questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tonelover, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Tonelover

Tonelover Member

Thinking about going down to my local GC today and trying out a Gibson ES335 Dot-Neck Reissue Cherry like this one although not this exact one.

http://platinum.guitarcenter.com/search/view_listing.cfm?prodId=49787

The first thing I am curious about is the pickups. The GC description says it has 57 Classics, which are what I like, but the Gibson website says Custom Buckers.

Secondly, I was just clicking through some of the various pictures on the GC site and see different headstock serial methods. For instance these two below, one I presume means Memphis.

Is anyone able to offer clarification on what is going on here, and also whether this particular model is a reasonable bet to own? I'd actually prefer one of the new Grohls but they are a bit out of my budget. Thanks,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mrfett

mrfett Member

Ok look this is a huge rabbit hole to go down. This is the regular dot reissue, and a great guitar. Just make sure you like the neck, which is the biggest difference between different models. They've started using different pickups in the new models, but legions of ES players through the years have loved the '57 Classics. If you find them too hot or the neck too muddy just lower them a bunch, they're very sensitive to adjustments.

The big things 335 aficionados are going to stress over are: the size of the pickguard, the kind of tuners, and whether or not there's a "cut-out" under the bridge pickup to allow easier installation of the electronics. People also get their panties in a bunch over the shape of the horns.

You should just go and try to play a bunch of them and if you find one you love, enjoy it. They're awesome guitars, this model included!

3. Tonelover

Tonelover Member

Thank you sir! I do prefer larger necks on my Gibsons and am looking forward to seeing how the "rounded 59 profile feels." With such large bodies on these having a toothpick neck just wouldn't seem right to me. We'll see in a bit....

4. mrfett

mrfett Member

Oh and the serial number formatting changes all the time, honestly. Some of the more pricey models will have a historic type number and no "Made in USA", older regular dots will have a standard serial number and the "Made in USA" stamp, and the newer ones look like they have the new Memphis-style numbering. That's all marketing, and a bit of subterfuge for the sake of the counterfeiters. Don't stress about it, just get the guitar that makes you happy (unless you're buying sight-unseen from a third party you don't know).

5. mrfett

mrfett Member

Ok and also you might see some that start with "CS" if they're special Custom Shop models. Some may also have a regular serial number but some sort of decal under the finish saying "Limited Edition" or "Custom Shop". This mostly applies to used stuff but you might find a new dealer-specific model out and about with these traits.

6. Tonelover

Tonelover Member

Cool, that all helps a lot. Appreciate it very much.

7. modavis99

modavis99 Silver Supporting Member

2 cents.

- Buy the guitar that sounds best and that you like to play. That said .... Try to find a memphis made 1963 reissue 335 model year 2014. The 2014 model has the new MHS pickups, the hide glue, the lack of truss rod sheath and some other details not found in earlier year models. This doesn't make the guitar essentially "better" etc but puts it closer to the actual way they used to make 335s. (If you like fatter necks, try to find a 1959 reissue).

- it's not consensus but many people argue Memphis made Gibsons are now the same quality as custom shop Gibsons from Nashville. Hard to do apples-apples as the two factories make different model guitars.

Also .... Don't buy an expensive guitar from guitar center. They negotiate down from MAP. I bought from Curt at House of Guitars in Rochester. I don't want to say my discount off MAP out of respect for Curt, but In terms of pricing, He'll hook you up ... And, I have No affiliation.

8. Tonelover

Tonelover Member

Thanks for the input. I have a guy at GC who treats me well and I have a 20% off coupon in my pocket which if they don't claim exclusions would make the net price reasonably competitive. No sales tax where I live either. My local shop has the Dot Reissue in stock but it's going to have to speak to me.