Possible idea - Pedal lending club. Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jdel77, May 23, 2011.

1. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I'm guessing this has been thought of before, but is it silly to suggest some kind of "pedal lending club" to allow people to try out pedals from other members here?
    Maybe a minimum post count or some kind of public list of who's got what would guarantee security, but I'm up for trusting people to treat my gear with the same amount of care as I would treat theirs. Maybe only use the pedal with a single looper to keep it clean, I dunno. There's definitely some members here I know who've posted long and often enough that I'd do a short term swap no worries.
    Obviously, you chip it/mark it/lose it/spill beer or coffee on then you bought it, but I've got some pedals I don't really use that much that I could go without for a month or so. Some I wouldn't send cos of rarity/sentimental value etc...but, it's an idea. Who's in?

2. Greiginoz

Greiginoz Member

I think it would take a tremendous amount of trust. Having said that I reckon If you called the person up on Skype or something similar and actually spoke to someone then it could establish a better relationship as just reading text is a bit impersonal. I'd be happy to do it but you would need a 'Code of Practice' as such, something like this could be quite revolutionary and really be a great thing! I think for the people that are interested it would be a good idea to come up with the rules and then If people fet happy then it should happen. Keep me posted.
    Greig

3. jdel77

Sweet!
    Thats possibly 2 members in the PLC! :)
    Definitely, it is a trust thing. Pretty much you're sending money off to someone in the hope it will come back.
    Maybe participants could exchange details/addresses/phone numbers via PM for security, and the Skype idea is great!

Maybe it could roll something like this, in the thread.

Jesse (Candletears7) has 5 pedals to lend:

Paul C. Timmy
    BYOC Shredder Shredmaster clone
    BYOC Germanium AC128 FuzzFace clone
    Maxon GE601 EQ
    SHO clone

Followed by a pic.
    Thoughts?

4. james...

james... Supporting Member

Questions arise...

-How will lending work? Will it be give one take one?
    -People will end up abusing the system most likely. Lending cheap boss pedals in exchange for timmy's and such.

You have to establish common sense ground rules to keep these things from happening.

5. notnac

notnac Senior Member

Nay in Korean means Yes.

6. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

It is very cool...but there are so many ways to get screwed...

7. vindrewski

vindrewski Member

I'm down.

If it's a give one take one kinda thing, trading pedals of similar value/availability would probably keep things on the up and up. If something happens and you don't get your pedal back, or can't get a hold of the trading partner, at least you have something of equal value.

I'd lend out:
    LM308 Turbo Rat
    BYOC Mouse (V1)
    Keeley Rat
    EHX Freeze
    CMAT Black Plague
    Barber 1/2 Gainer
    MP SHOD CB

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The main problem I see with it is that the most useful pedals to try are the ones that are impossible to find in the local GC, and those are pretty hard to trade in a symmetrical manner. I daresay a Klon, anything Cornish, anything Toneczar would be the ones there's no other way to try but I'm not sure I'd lend anything like that without having the money in escrow, and what about the wait (say someone lost my Echoczar, I basically couldn't replace it for years)?

9. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

I would lend out a pedal or two. I want to try a fetto nord. I am in pennsylvania.

10. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

I agree.

I feel like if there's a confirmed address, public records, and a weekly skype update, ebay feedback, and predetermined lending times; then the lender's and lendee's (word?) mind would be put at ease. What works for lots of people is to pay like $5 via paypal so the transaction shows up at an independent source.

11. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I think it is a great idea, I was considering something similar as well. Personally, I would say that you would need something like a $200 down payment, maybe a monthly or yearly fee to who ever organizes it along with a standard procedure for shipping costs. It would also probably require a website or well organized sign up list because I do not want to have a Boss Metal Zone sent to me when I lend out a Tim, lol.

PS. I also want the Fetto Nord please! Maybe, with enough people signed up, local lending would be possible. Even as excited as I would be, I would also feel a level of discomfort.

12. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I'd be down potentially, I'm in Washington. I'd like to try out a Fetto Nord 70 and a Klon.

13. kfiggy

kfiggy Member

While the concept is nice I think you can try a bunch of pedals by just trading. If you don't like the pedal just trade it. That is what I've been doing and I have tried a ton of stuff. If something get broken or lost in the mail an extremely uncomfortable situation is created. Just my 2 cents.

14. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

True - I just had that happen, someone returned something to me that I sold, he bought before reading what it was (even though I said no returns, I am empathetic). Anyway, didn't work when I got it back, seemed it was broken in the mail, not the buyer. Got my claim money in a few weeks from USPS. So it would need to be insured.

15. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

Sunset - I've seen you around long enough to know you're on the up and up. I don't have a Nord but I have a Fetto Custom I could send you to demo. Shoot me a PM.

16. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

One more thought - I think that using Paypal, you can issue a refund without loosing the amount Paypal charges (they refund you the fee), people could essentially pay for the pedal and return it as long as it is within Paypal's 40 day window. That would be the lowest risk aside from what someone mentioned about waiting potentially years to replace a Toneczar pedal. Between that and insured mail, it is fairly low risk.

17. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Anyone ever tried just putting an add in the emporium: "I'd like to try out xxxx pedal for $40".

Or a PM. "Hey bro, I see you have a _____. Man, I've been wanting to try one of those forever! Could I borrow it for a couple of weeks just to see if I'd like it? I'll cover shipping both ways."

Just a thought.....

18. jdel77

I'm keen to try out a Bearfoot HBOD.

I have:
    Tim
    Timmy
    Whiteface Rat Reissue
    Skreddy Pig Mine
    Skreddy Screwdriver

I also have a bunch of clones I could lend out if people are interested in trying out classic circuits they haven't got to play yet.

BYOC TS808 modded to Landgraff L'do specs with Rockbox mods
    BYOC Rat modded to Landgraff M'od specs with Reutz mods
    BYOC Germanium Fuzz Face - sounds bang on to my old Analogman Sunface
    BYOC Stereo Analogue Flanger - mix of the EHX Mistress and the ADA
    DIY SHO clone

I'll have a look around, I'm sure I have more pedals on the shelf.