• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Possible major tube score!!!

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Anybody wanna guess how many vintage preamp tubes are in this vase? It is almost filled to the top with names like GE, RCA, Motorola, and others. I found this glass filled vase way in the back of the basement inside an antique store just a few miles from my house. It was labeled, "old tubes $1.00 each". I bought them all of course and the vase to carry them in.

Thing is, I'm not very much a tube snob. I need help ID'ing and testing. I actually didn't buy them right away because I have no idea if any are good. But, I could not get it out my mind after seeing them. So I went back and they were still there.

I think I'ii post a video inventory soon. Maybe you guys can help me ID them?

Last edited:

zenas

Here's the thing. Back in the day when even garage door remotes used tubes (I had one) they made thousands of different tube types. Only a very small bunch of tube types work in guitar amps and 99% or the time old lots of tubes are picked over for them already. I have made some nice scores but I've gone through thousands of tubes doing it.
Hopefully this is like my last 4 dollar box of tubes, several 12ax7s and the like. You won't know till you start looking for the numbers and letters on them.

tjontheroad

Here's the thing. Back in the day when even garage door remotes used tubes (I had one) they made thousands of different tube types. Only a very small bunch of tube types work in guitar amps and 99% or the time old lots of tubes are picked over for them already. I have made some nice scores but I've gone through thousands of tubes doing it.
Hopefully this is like my last 4 dollar box of tubes, several 12ax7s and the like. You won't know till you start looking for the numbers and letters on them.
There are many different types. It was a risk buying without spending time looking them over. But the mystery of it all I figured would be fun to explore.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Very cool. For the ones that test bad, they make a great Christmas tree ornament.

In college my neighbor, who was retired, had drawers of tubes in the garage, but he wanted serious money for just one 12ax7. So I never was able to buy or trade for any.

kafka

I found this glass filled vase way in the back of the basement inside an antique store just a few miles from my house. It was labeled, "old tubes $1.00 each". I bought them all of course and the vase to carry them in.

Thing is, I'm not very much a tube snob. I need help ID'ing and testing. I actually didn't buy them right away because I have no idea if any are good. But, I could not get it out my mind after seeing them. So I went back and they were still there.

Any time I've ever seen a big unsorted pile for sale or free, it was just a bunch of worthless old television tubes. You might get something out of it, but probably not.

Sean

Silver Supporting Member
You have to hope that:
1) there are some tubes that you can use. As mentioned above, a very small percentage of tubes that were made will be specific to amps.
2) if there are some that you can use, they aren't dead/dying.

Good luck! I hope you get something you can use.

tjontheroad

So, you run one of those tube rescue orgs, eh? "Honey, I swear, they just followed me home!"
lol

Actually, my wife was there the first time I saw them. I told her they could be a big score. She said, "do you have cash?" I love her <3

Last edited:

Trending Topics