Possible ruined finish due to bug spray

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by evildik, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Bug repellent can also damage the finish on firearms.

2. heavydutysg135

heavydutysg135 Supporting Member

I had some negative finish reaction on a nitro guitar and reached out to Mike D'Avanzo for advice.
    He recommended that Menzerna FG400 works very well on guitars by hand since it's a diminishing abrasive and starts off like a compound but as you rub it more and more it gets finer and finer more like a polish so it leaves a real nice finish.

The smallest size you can get is 8oz and it's a pro quality detailing product so while it's not absurdly priced it's more than the over the counter stuff they sell at Pepboys or auto zone.

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-fast-gloss.html

You don't need to use a ton of it, a little goes a long way, a dab on the applicator pad the size of a nickel will do the entire top. The key is not to use a ton of product but to rub it longer and let it do its work. I would suggest trying a small area first.

If the luthier is telling you that you are looking at a refin already then you don't have much to lose by giving this a try; I think you may be pleasantly surprised but if does not improve then you are no worse off.

3. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I spent a week in the hospital with Lyme Disease or somethign similar thereto....really messed me up bad. I had a persistent, very high fever and remember (don't remember much) being packed in ice with a constant IV and other stuff as the medical staff worked hard to break the fever. I can see why this is fatal left untreated.

In my early stages of recovery, finding it difficult to walk (knees and other joints) my doctor told me that it would be at least 6 months before I would be able to walk up a flight of steps without a railing to help and he was right. Tick bites are nothing to take chances with!!!!

Yeah, protect the guitars but do what you can to protect yourself!!

4. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

I'm at the point where nicks, dings and other maladies are character. It's okay.

5. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

If it was polyurethane or Polyester you wouldn't have a problem. Nitro Lacquer can deteriorate even with sweat

Jabberwocky and Bluzeboy like this.
  6. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

7. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Enough biting flies get you and you'll be ready to call in a napalm strike on your position.

Baxtercat likes this.
  8. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Bug spray is totally banned in this household. It is nasty stuff.

Thankfully, no damaged guitars, but a few years ago I held a poker night on our (open air) deck around our dining table. Being tropical North Australia, everyone was in shorts, but there were plenty of mosquitos and other bugs annoying us, so someone had brought the most popular brand of bug repellant in Australia, and everyone sprayed their legs with it.

As my friends were leaving I noticed that everyone's legs had black streaks on them. It turns out that the sprayed areas of the legs that had come into contact with the black powdercoated steel legs of my dining chairs had simply melted the paint off the chairs and smeared their legs with it. One of them actually rubbed his leg against a chair leg when he didn't believe it, and sure enough, a fresh black streak of paint came off - hours after spraying.

If it strips industrial grade paint that easily, I hate to think what it is doing to our bodies. We just put up with bug bites now, or wear longer pants when sitting outdoors at night for long periods. :)

Thumpalumpacus and Jabberwocky like this.
  9. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Ticks you goomba

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

J
    both my wife and I have been dealing with Lymes desease.... it’s been quite a bad trip..... things are better, but a good naturalpathic doctor is not cheap and they don’t take insurance... the regular medical docs prescribed antibiotics and in both our cases, the Lyme’s came back! Be careful. No more hiking in the woods of New England ...and thanks for the bug spray tip.......and the other guy with the eucalyptus solution.....

derekd likes this.
  11. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

Would permethrin work for ticks? I don’t see why not.

12. Bodeanicus

Bodeanicus Member

Well, that sucks.

The only thing OFF is good for is cleaning oxidized plastic headlights on cars. Spray it on the rag, not the lights themselves. It'll eat your paint.

13. orourke

orourke Member

I’ve been gigging for over 40 years and do a couple of outdoor gigs every year. I didn’t know this. Thanks for the warning.

evildik likes this.
  14. mody

mody Member

I learned this the hard way to on a top dollar Lentz Croyden Carve Top :(

Thankfully it's reversible but that needs the affected area buffed.

15. morgan918

morgan918 Member

I used to mountain bike a lot when I lived in the Philly area - ticks galore in that whole damn area. I got Lyme disease, and yes it sucks. Not just then, but I think it kind of persisted in me for me over decade. Many other people I rode with also got it, somewhat despite using spray.

I now live in LA - there are plenty of reasons to hate on Los Angeles, but the relative tick free nature of this whole area isn't one of them.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  16. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

Don't put alcohol on a guitar either.

17. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I have parrots at home and many things that smell can eventually kill them so I dont use bug spray. Long sleeves if I have to. Lyme disease can really mess you up for a long time. I heard the reason Avril Levigne disappeared during her peak was due to that.
    You can take all the precautions but one year someone posted that an audience member sprayed him with bug spray, damaging his guitar. I would suggest using guitars not made of nitro in these cases.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  18. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

It's a similar phobia like Shark attacks.. what you eat/breathe/etc ends up affecting you so much more in the long run but it's not exciting enough.

19. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

All natural products either don't get enough funding to start with or the research trails off into oblivion. Similar story with hemp research.