• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Possible scam via Reverb messages? Got a very strange message tonight.

sbrollins76

Silver Supporting Member
I received a really weird message tonight from someone on Reverb. The message seems to have been sent via the listing for a guitar I sold more than 6 years ago. The person who sent it accused me of selling them a Moog keyboard and shipping a box of dirt. They claimed in the message to have already been refunded but still wanted to buy the keyboard that I've never owned and definitely never listed or sold. The name on the message does not match the name on the order for the guitar, or on any other order I've ever had.

I'm not sure if this is someone trying to pull a scam or legitimately confused. I replied that I think they contacted me in error and said they should talk to Support, and that I would be reporting their message as well. I've submitted a help request now including a screenshot of the message thread, but this whole thing seems very weird. Just the fact that a listing sold so long ago would still have an active "Message Seller" button is bizarre to me. Anyone else run into something like this before?

tonedover

Platinum Supporting Member
bizarre.
you reported it which is my only advice. i would not reply to that person at all, regardless of what they say next. even if its “oops sorry”. dont say your name, your town, nothing, nada, zilch

hey gang, whats the TGP user handle of that Reverb customer service fella? he may be able to add a personal touch to this uniquely odd circumstance that is rightfully making OP uncomfortable

jwguitar

I received a really weird message tonight from someone on Reverb. The message seems to have been sent via the listing for a guitar I sold more than 6 years ago. The person who sent it accused me of selling them a Moog keyboard and shipping a box of dirt. They claimed in the message to have already been refunded but still wanted to buy the keyboard that I've never owned and definitely never listed or sold. The name on the message does not match the name on the order for the guitar, or on any other order I've ever had.

I'm not sure if this is someone trying to pull a scam or legitimately confused. I replied that I think they contacted me in error and said they should talk to Support, and that I would be reporting their message as well. I've submitted a help request now including a screenshot of the message thread, but this whole thing seems very weird. Just the fact that a listing sold so long ago would still have an active "Message Seller" button is bizarre to me. Anyone else run into something like this before?
Anything odd that happens to me on Reverb (which is uncommon) I will report it. I always say I would hate for that site to turn into a sewer like Craigslist has become.

Dave L

There´s nothing weird about being contacted on a closed listing, that is just a feature that I´ve used myself a few times, but the message itself seems off.

ctreitzell

bizarre.
you reported it which is my only advice. i would not reply to that person at all, regardless of what they say next. even if its “oops sorry”. dont say your name, your town, nothing, nada, zilch

hey gang, whats the TGP user handle of that Reverb customer service fella? he may be able to add a personal touch to this uniquely odd circumstance that is rightfully making OP uncomfortable
@danoverb is who I suppose you are referring :)

I have messaged via Reverb's messaging function after a listing has sold. In my case, there was nothing malicious; I was just congratulating the vendor on a quick sale of an H3000.

cheapgtrs

Gold Supporting Member
Why would someone want to buy something from someone who sent them a box of dirt the first go round anyhow? Definitely ignore them OP

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member

Definitely get support on that... my first thought is that someone got your account info and is using your account to scam people. No idea why they would actually ship something in that case, but...

sbrollins76

Silver Supporting Member
Definitely get support on that... my first thought is that someone got your account info and is using your account to scam people. No idea why they would actually ship something in that case, but...
That's what I thought at first and what this guy's trying to claim, but if that was the case I think I'd see the transaction in my account and there's nothing there that wasn't me. I'm on Reverb pretty much every day, so I'd notice if something weird was happening with my account.

I got another message from him this morning that says he found me through my eBay listings. I haven't sold anything on eBay in years, since I started using Reverb, in fact, so I find that highly unlikely and my eBay account doesn't show any listings or sales. His latest message has a link to something in Dropbox, which obviously there's no way in hell I'm going to click, and I'm definitely not responding further. It will be interesting to see what Reverb support says.

danoverb

@danoverb is who I suppose you are referring :)

I have messaged via Reverb's messaging function after a listing has sold. In my case, there was nothing malicious; I was just congratulating the vendor on a quick sale of an H3000.
Thanks for the tag. Yes, definitely a very weird one but something we definitely want to investigate. OP can you DM me your email address or an order number on your account or something? Happy to get someone to look into this.

sbrollins76

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the tag. Yes, definitely a very weird one but something we definitely want to investigate. OP can you DM me your email address or an order number on your account or something? Happy to get someone to look into this.
Thanks, @danoverb. I just sent you my info in a PM. I appreciate the support.

There´s nothing weird about being contacted on a closed listing, that is just a feature that I´ve used myself a few times, but the message itself seems off.
Right, I have too. The fact that it was a closed listing from 6 years ago and the person who contacted me wasn't the buyer is what I found strange.

Why would someone want to buy something from someone who sent them a box of dirt the first go round anyhow? Definitely ignore them OP
Yeah, I'm letting Reverb handle it at this point. I can't figure out what the scam would be and it's just weird enough to make me wonder if this guy did get scammed from an account with a similar-sounding name. I work in IT and have friends who specialize in online security, so the only thing I can think of is someone is trying to find accounts that are open but not active to try to grab personal info. This definitely smells like phishing/social engineering.

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
Gotta admit, I'm intrigued by the box of dirt thing for some reason.

sbrollins76

Silver Supporting Member
Update: just heard from Reverb support and it is a mix-up on an order that they helped someone get a refund on. They've confirmed with the other party that I'm not the person they're trying to reach. I'm not sure why someone who got a box of dirt and been refunded would still want to get in touch with a seller who's been suspended, but that's probably a topic for a separate thread.

Trending Topics