Post gig PRS 513 review

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RhytmEarl, Mar 21, 2006.

1. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

I've loved the look of PRS guitars since they first came out. They got the rep of being doctor/lawyer/banker guitars and that's too bad.

I bought a McCarty a few years ago and couldn't bond with it. Didn't like the PUPS and doctoring up an already expensive guitar seemed a bit dumb. So I traded it in on a Relic Esquire. Talk about polar opposites.

But I missed the McCarty guitar. It was just so pretty.

Then I found a used CU24 with the artist upgrade at a price I couldn't resist. Again, I didn't like the PUPS (too thin and brittle) but this time I took the trouble to buy a set of Voodoo buckers. Helped a lot. But still, not the do-all guitar that I wanted it to be. Still a little bright and brittle for my tastes. I think the rosewood neck is the bright-factor. And I couldn't to a semi realistic Strat sound. And up until now, a Strat has been my go to guitar if I'm not sure excatly what the gig will call for.

Then I bought the 20th anniversary Guitar Player issue dedicated to PRS and read about the new 513 switching system. Sounded, in theory, perfect. Single coils, mild humbuckers, and heavy humbuckers all in one guitar. With a 5 way switch to get all the pups in the usual combos.

So, when I was up at my fave guitar store I asked the owner (about 4-6 months ago before I had my downsizing epiphany) that if he got one in in Tortoise Shell with the gold hardware upgrade I'd be VERY interested in trying it.

He did (picked it up at NAMM), I bought it, he sent it downon the bus, I picked it up at 6:30 and hit the stage with it at 9 PM. Didn't tweak a thing...didn't have the time

Well, we did a two nighter in a biker bar. I played the 513 through my old Matchless 2x12 with Reverb.

This is now my go to guitar. Compliments from all of the band on my tone but more importantly I myself LOVED the sound of the guitar. The neck has a nice medium sized profile and let's me do thumb over the neck chords that a really chunky Les Paul won't.

And it looks like a trophy wife. Yes, guitar looks are important to me, I'm shallow that way. But damn, this band plays a WIDE variety of music from reggae to chick tunes (they have an amazing girl lead singer who also plays some damn good guitar herself) to heavier stuff that the bass player sings. I could cover it all. Easily. The switching system is so logically laid out that it took only a set of two before I didn't even have to look down to flip knobs.

The only downside I can give the guitar is that in the room we played, there was a heavy noise factor and the only places the guitar was truly humbucking was in the in-between postions on the 5 way switch. Now, take that comment with a bit of salt because I stayed almost all night in the 3 single coil mode. That sound fit the tunes we played the best. And like I've said in other posts, a Strat is my go to guitar when I'm not really sure what kind of music I'm gonna be playing. I did hit the heavy bucker mode for a few 'loud' solos but we were so loud (well, I was so loud) I didn't notice if there was any hum coming from the lights.

But damn, a great guitar with a great set of pups with all the sounds you'll ever need. It'll never replace having a forest of guitars behind you to choose from if you like to carry a lot of instruments (or have a guitar roadie and tech) but if you're like me and would rather have a roadie than a groupie, and like to carry all your gig **** out in one or two loads, well this thing is 'it'.

It'll do a Strat, and a Les Paul easily. Not exactly the same as either but in a band situation, no one but you would know the difference. At home, in the living room, yes, it's not a Strat. It's not a Les Paul. But I don't buy my guitars for the living room, I buy them for the bar.

If you don't like PRS guitars, give this one a try. Yes, it's pricey. But no more than say a nice 59 Les Paul re-issue.

Great guitar. I can't think of a thing I'd change.

2. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

The guitar

[​IMG]

The Brazilian board. The Brazilian neck is quite plain but the fingerboard more than makes up tor it.

[​IMG]

3. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

Sounds like a killer guitar. Love that fingerboard!

4. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

Very nice review and beautiful looking guitar!

5. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Beautiful. :) Thanks for the review.

6. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Looks like a nice guitar for a doctor/lawyer/banker ;)

7. ZenFly06

ZenFly06 Member

Dr, Lawyer banker ;;;BAh I'd rock the house with that thing and make it scream! Very nice axe..

8. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I would love to have one of those; the versatility factor really appeals to me as well as that solid rosewood neck. Congrats on scoring a killer axe!

9. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

I think those are great guitars but I could never vibe with the neck for some reason.

12. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Really pretty.

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

+1. I just sold mine after about a week solely becuase of the neck. I need some girth. Going from a Relic tele (my #1) to this guitar was like going from a Full size SUV to a ferrari. Made my hands hurt. I gotta give Paul props on the Pick ups though. That was the best sounding PRS I've heard to date.Very easy to understand and navigate while playing. They start to market them in a more affordable package they will sell a million of them. I'd love to hear them in a Swamp Ash Special. :dude

14. shoe

shoe Member

Funny, I really liked the neck and the playability of the 513. It was the pickups that I didn't care for! That said, I felt the same way about the Modern Eagle.....loved the guitar but didn't dig the pickups (especially the neck pickup). God, I'm so Suhr-heavy I probably will never be able to play anything else again! :D

15. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Gorgeous axe.

How do the knobs and switches work? Like, what does what?

16. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Nice tone report! Nice to see someone else digging into what the 513 is all about!

I totally love mine. I'll share in praise of the 513!

By the way, the 513 won "BEST ELECTRIC GUITAR OF THE YEAR" 2 times in a row. I believe its the only guitar ever to achieve that!

http://www.prsguitars.com/news/stories/040306_513mipa.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I should have listen to mom and become a banker.
    Or a doctor.
    Or a lawyer.

Nice review. The birdies look like sea monkeys, though.

I want one.

19. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

nice review and that guitar is a real beaut.

as a real PRS whore who has owned them all, the 513 I never bonded with. I was real bummed specially with the BRW neck on it. I'm glad its worked for you. Maybe I need to give it a shot again.

20. matte

matte Senior Member

Flatsawn board. I'd be worried about it humping up. I go for Quartersawn necks and boards whenever possible.