Post New Alnico Speaker comparisons/reviews: Scumnico, ASW Alnico, Jensen Blackbird

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Macaroni, May 31, 2008.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I thought my speaker GAS had abated for good, but I should have know better.

There are 3 relatively new contenders in the mid/high powered Alnico speaker range...

Scumnico - 65W - 100W
    Austin Speaker Works (ASW) Alnico - 80W
    Jensen Blackbird - 100W

These speakers are aiming at the Celestion Gold's tonal territory.

I had 2 Fane AXA12s - 100W and they were great, but I replaced them with 2 Celestion Golds. I kept a Fane AXA10, which has the same voice coil and magnet as the AXA12, and is also 100W.

I did some speaker comparisons today, playing my Rowan Montara with 3 Kent Armstrong noiseless P90s, my Kingsley D32C, and using the following speakers...

Scholz Sugarcone
    EVM12L
    Celestion Heritage G12-65
    Celestion Alnico Gold
    Fane AXA10
    EVM10M
    Eminence Ragin Cajun

I was surprised when I found myself greatly preferring the tones of the Fane AXA10 over the Celestion Gold. It didn't have quite the same sparkle in the cleans, but it wasn't far off, and the 'feel' of the Fane was much more musical and liquid with cleans and light OD. The low/mid OD tones through the Fane were much more to my liking as well, with a better feel and much more organic tones.

So now I'm thinking about checking out other alternatives, as mentioned above. I've read a few reviews of the Scumnico and ASW Alnico, but nothing on the Jensen Blackbird yet. I'll probably get another Fane AXA12 anyway.

I'm hoping this thread will be a collective contribution of people's experiences, and especially in comparison to other similar Alnico speakers, ie: how do these new ones compare to the Gold, Fane, each other, etc.

Thanks!

2. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Hi Rick! All is well thanks! Still loving my 2 Skyway equipped guitars!

Here's the link for the ASW speakers - they're getting rave reviews...

http://guitar25.com/products.php?partno=41

After today's comparisons, I have to say, that the Scholz is my favorite all around speaker for the tones and feel I'm going for. And the combination of the Scholz and the Fane AXA10 is perfection for me. I used to do that with the earlier Scholz I had and a Fane AXA12. I recently found out that the Scholz has a magnet that is a combination of Alnico + Ceramic + NeoDymium.

http://www.earcandycabs.com/product...20&PHPSESSID=2b6ea02d6a2499ab3a2f373a537c3bfc

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Not alot of info on the ASW... is it alnico?

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

There are 2 ASW models - a ceramic and an alnico, although I read in a post that there may be another alnico - purple. They are both 80W and the same price. I don't know if they're the same basic speaker with different magnets. You can get a pair - 1 of each - to demo, for the price of shipping both ways.

The Scholz has a combination of Ceramic/Alnico/Neodymium for its 62oz magnet - I never knew that until recently.

5. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Only alnicos I actually own are Weber Blue Dogs, Blue Pups, and 12 and 10 inch Tone Tubbys. I'm aching to try a Blackbird though......

Dont know much about the others.....yet.

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Thanks Rick!

Let us know how the Scumnico works out - clips too.

The Scholz is comparable to the EVM12L re loudness and punch, but they are more elastic and fluid - sweeter high end.

I'm looking for another Fane AXA12, 8 ohm (or 2).

7. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Member

Damn, some of the speakers listed are very expensive. I've played a BF deluxe Reverb with a 100W alnico Fane, and I didn't like it at all, exaggerated thumpy bass, and treble that was harsh to my ears. YMMV.

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I wouldn't expect the Fane to be a good match for the DR. It needs to be pushed more aggressively before it gives up the goods.

9. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

10. chaz

chaz Member

The Jensen has a traditional American scooped mids type of voice. Nice speaker for that application. Pretty efficient/loud, firm bottom end, top end can get pretty bright depending on EQ, later break-up & compression, handles distortion well, light weight. Haven't removed the bell but think the low weight must mean it empoys a plug type magnet as opposed to a ring type. A friend has a pair in a modded Twin that he swears by. Have used one in an old Deluxe. Prefer an old EV in there but the Jensen is a very respectable second. If weight were a big consideration it would win since the amp is around 20lbs. lighter with it! I'd call them over-priced for what they are, but they do occupy a unique tonal niche. Hope that helps.

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Thanks for that great review Chaz! That's exactly the kind of contribution I was hoping for.

Keep them coming!

I'm hoping to get a Jensen Blackbird 12" on Tue, so I'll report back after I've had a few days to check it out.

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I recently traded one of my Golds for a relatively new Jensen Blackbird, and I've been playing it this week. It's still not broken in, but so far I like it. The description above is very accurate. I think it will be a nice compliment to a Fane AXA12, as a high powered Alnico alternative/variation-on-a-theme.

I'm still anxious to hear some reviews of the ASW Kiss The Sky Alnico speaker. Anyone got one yet?

13. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

I don't know what type of settings you were using, but it's near impossible to make my two AXA12 sound harsh in any cab open or closed that I've tried. Even a Strat bridge single can sound nice warm and crunchy through the Fanes.

Seriously they are some of the most elastic sounding speakers with smoothly articulated treble, but this nice glassy/metallic midrange grind when you hit them with a good amount of power and gain.