1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Post - WHAT your FAVORITE Boss DD-2 & DD-3 delay Settings are!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Robert123, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Robert123

Robert123 Member

I'm a HUGE fan of the Boss DD-2 & DD-3 Delay. I just like the layout sound and feel. I would love to know your favorite settings for this delay.

Trying new settings always opens new doors for me musically I would never normally try. Please post any settings you like to use for lead, rhythm, rockabilly, certain songs like Floyd etc.. settings artist use and so forth.

I searched some threads and artist web sites and only came up with a few. I hope we can make this a long musical thread....

2. Robert123

Robert123 Member

Bump on DD-2 AND DD-3 settings.

3. Frethog

Frethog Member

I guess I should chime in here since I used a DD-2 for 20+ years:BEER The Quicksilver has taken over the board since I got it simply because it can switch from long to short delays with a single click.

But I’ll keep my DD-2 for a back-up or perhaps the unlikely scenario that I’ll tire of the Blackbox after a while. Really, I can’t sell it, because as a young 20-something, I engraved my drivers license and SS# to the side of the casing :jo It’s still sitting right here, on the floor next to the board.

*picks up DD-2*

Of course, I always ran it at its long setting (800ms). E.Level just under 9 o’clock; F.Back about the same (8 to 9); D.Time between 11 and 12 o’clock.

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

I recently went back to my old Japanese DD-3. I love this pedal.

Level at 11:00-12:00
    Feedback at 10:30
    Time at 2:00
    800 ms, but I like to switch it to the 200 ms to get at weird slapbacky/reverb sound.

I would love to have this rehoused in a TB box with two footswitches. One to turn it on and off and one to toggle between the 200 and 800 ms settings.

5. Robert123

Robert123 Member

I'm looking for a nice Rockabilly setting I wrote down awhile ago that worked perfect but I can't find it.

What settings are you all using for the Rockabilly delay?

Thanks

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

out of curiosity, what's the difference (tonally, not featurewise) between the DD-3 and DD-6? Does the DD-3 sound "warmer", or what?

Basically, why would anyone buy a DD-3 when the DD-6 has all it's features and more?

7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

The MIJ DD3 WITH the large chip will sound warmer.
    But my Analogman DD6 sounds just as warm, if not more, and I do use some of the other features from time to time.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

If I'm digressing too much, I apologize.

Thanks for the response, last nerve, but that still doesn't answer my question.

I can get very pleasant tones out of my DD-20 by using the analog setting, or even just turning down the tone knob on standard.

Again, outside of the price, why get a DD-3 instead of a DD-6?

9. Robert123

Robert123 Member

The DD2 and early made DD3 have the huge pricey Roland chip. So for warmth and simplicity the DD2 & DD3 are still desired.

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Again, I understand this. I am speaking about Joe Guitarist walking into a GC with $150 burning a whole in his pocket. he can either have a MIT DD-3 or DD-6. What are the advantages of the DD-3?

11. Phil M

Phil M Member

It's 3 less than 6, sheesh, can't you do math?

Seriously, I have no idea why they continue to make both. You would think the 3 would've been replaced by the 5 and the 5 replaced by the 6. So, good question...

Also, I have an old MIJ DD-3 that I got used in 1993, so I don't really know if it's got this big chip that is being mentioned. I do know that it has a great mixture of warmth and clarity. Would love to find another just like it in case mine croaks. I have played DD-5s and 6s in stores and not liked them as much.

12. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

DD-3: 1st knob 25%, 2nd knob 25%, 3rd knob 50%, 800 ms setting.

Would you guys say that I could get a good DD-3 sound from the DD-20 (on top of all the other cool delays? I haven't tried one out but I might Saturday.

13. Robert123

Robert123 Member

Not to change the subject to much..... but what do you all feel is the best compact Rockabilly delay pedal out there?? I was curious AD80 and a few others out there.

14. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I may be wrong but I think the difference is that on the 3, the delays are regenerated each time you hear a repeat, on the 6, it's just a copy of the first delay. The 6 is fully digital but the 3 has some analog conversion in the repeat section (maybe?). As to why both pedals exist - probably the same reason they have so many ODs available - the sound is different.

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Thanks, that's the closest thing I've gotten to an answer. If you were 100% sure of that, it would be a full answer.

Though I have a hazy idea that the later DD-3s were switched to full-out digital as well. Don't remember where I heard that, or if it's even true.

Feedback?

16. Last Nerve

That's pretty accurate. On the DD3, when you turn it off the repeats STOP..no trailing. They do trail on the DD6.

More info: www.bossarea.com

17. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The likely reason they still make the DD-3 is because it flat-out sounds better (even the newer Taiwanese version) and so there is still a market for it.

The technical reason is fairly simple - the DD-3 is entirely analog except for the actual delay itself - even the feedback loop is analog. When they went to the DD-5, the whole effect side is digital, although the dry side remains analog. I haven't tested the DD-6, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's entirely digital including the dry side - since the new PH-3, BF-3 and OC-3 all are (and all sound artificial to me).

Effects that digitize the dry part of the signal can't be used in a parallel FX loop without setting either the loop mix or the effect mix to pure wet, or they cause a nasty tone-thinning comb-filter effect due to the digital latency.

18. Robert123

Robert123 Member

That is true, however if you ask the top boss mod people out there they do not know after what serial # they switched to the smaller delay chips in the DD3. You would have to open it up or just purchase the most early made dd3 you can find. I gave up emailing people on ebay about it and just went for the DD2.

19. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

Can anybody fill me in on the DSD-2? It has a sampling capability. I have one I got in the 80's. Inside is a large chip.
    TIA

20. Last Nerve

http://www.analogman.com/dd5.htm

Go to the bottom of the page.
    And thank Mike! ;)