Post your alternate/custom tunings here.

harpinon

If you use different tunings on your acoustic, lets hear about it.
I was a big fan of DADGAD for a long time.

Right now i do a delta blues solo gig and here is how I tune: 1-6th strings.

A F# D A D D

Is basically an open D. It works best with my vocal range and works perfectly with a slide.
Of course I have to relieve the neck quite a bit and use heavier strings but it just works. With that low tension I have yet to break a string.
Its a take on an open G but the 5th string should be an F#, but it gums up the works. When I have 2 low D's, it makes things easier. I could probably go without a 6th and I even tried a fatty with an octave below but it just didnt sound right.

What do you use?

billfoma

I use these tunings a bit:

DADADD (I use this most often, along with a capo)

EADGDD

DADGDD

Seorie

I only use 'non standard' tunings harpie.
Like you, my guitars are set up to use heavier gauge strings.
I dont have names for them and dont use A440 as a reference pitch but tune the intervals between the strings to my own system - bit like Joni Mitchell.

http://jonimitchell.com/music/tuningpatterns.cfm

http://jonimitchell.com/music/notation.cfm

I suspect there's some kind of theory underpinning my way of working but since that was all gleaned over forty years ago I just go by the sound now.

bob-i

Jeez, I must be boring, I only use dropped D, double dropped D, open G and open D.

Dereksslide

Currently used tunings:

Standard, drop D, D standard, open D, Open G, CGCGCD, CGCFCD, CGCGCE, DGDGBD.

harpinon

Its a lot of fun using alternates but man...more that two can get confusing. Do some solo work and I have to really remember the fingerboard arrangement.

revelator62

My 1983 Takamine has been tuned for a few months : bass to high thin string

E, A, C#, G, B, C# for Spies (song by Coldplay).

Chord shapes up and down the neck with this tuning are a lot of fun and have a nice chromatic? flow starting on 9th fret (C#m).

Because of this I'm now looking for a new a new hog acoustic so I can have one std tuned and the other one alternate tuning... :)

BmoreTele

Lately its been DGDGBE or partial capo on standard to get the Asus sound (but it's still in standard tuning, doh!)

Trending Topics