Post your first guitar!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LavaMan, Jul 16, 2006.

1. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Mine: 1970's telecaster bought in 1979 for $100 from my first and only official guitar instructor. Had 3 of the metal plated humbuckers - I removed the middle one and had a local luthier (who happened to be one of my math teachers in HS) clean the pickup cavity with a router, make a new pickguard an paint her' purple: (Man...I wish I was that thin now....!) Oh...the bad news - she was stolen out my living room about 6 months after this picture was taken...wish I could find this guitar! I wore this thing out playing "smoke on the water" over, and over and over and over and over and over....again - Yeah my Mom loved me...

[​IMG]

2. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

No pics, but my first guitar was my older sister's Harmony Acoustic. Bought new in '68 or '69.

My first electric was a '71 Guild S-100. A dual humbucker that was Guild's version of the Gibson SG.

Jamie

3. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

My 1st gtr was an air guitar.

4. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

lol, me too

I plunked on one of those plastic toy ones with nylon strings for a bit. then took to the Yamaha classical we had lying around.

My 1st electric was an Aria Pro II from 8th St Music in Philly. I still have it kicking around. Kind of an SG looking thing...

5. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

First acoustic is a Suzuki from around 1976-1977. Still have it. My first electric was Gibson L6-S. I don't have that. I bought it because of a Gibson poster of Carlos Santana playing one.

Somehow I didn't sound anything like Santana.:jo Almost 30 years later, I still don't sound like any of the artists that I own artist model guitars.

6. slayer

slayer Member

Some time when I was little in the 70`s, my mom bought me a Harmony strat copy. What a peice of crap!! Cheap guitars then, really meant cheap quality guitars also. Jack.

7. mprvise

mprvise Member

My first guitar was made from a hotwheel track for the neck and cardboard for the body/headstock - strings, pickups, and knobs drawn on with a sharpie. This was third grade.

First electric was a Memphis Les Paul copy in 7th grade. Traded in a year later on a Washburn T-Bird which I still have.

8. Curly

Curly Member

my first was a $15 Silvertone acoustic I got for Christmas when I was 12 - the orange/ black burst that looked like a Stella

darn, that thing was hard to play :)

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Back in the 60s my first REAL guitar was a Gibson ES-125T hollow non-cutaway. The other guitar player had one of those Hagstroms with the plastic swimming pool top.

Since I was the "lead" player and he was "rhythm", we always swapped until I got a brand new shiny Fender Jaguar in 1963.

We played both guitars and a mic for the sax player through one of those Silvertone 2X12 amps where you store the top inside the cabinet for transport.

Occasionally the guy who owned a local record shop and played let me use his Ampeg B-12XT, whcih was great and had reverb so I could play Pipeline!

Oh to have all this stuff now!

10. Curt

Curt Member

It was a plastic "Emenee" Tiger / amplifier.
    I think I was about eight.
    It looked like this.
    Do any of you oldtimers remember Emenee?

[​IMG]

11. mlavin00

mlavin00 Member

I upgraded from a tennis raquet to a Kramer Stryker and never looked back......

12. telemike

telemike Member

Ditto, I got the exact guitar for Christmas '64 and played it 'til my fingers bled. I always laugh about it because I was the kid (one of millions) that saw the Beatle's on TV and told their folks to get them a guitar. They have regretted it for the rest of their lives and it quickly led to my favorite phrase from my childhood, and current fav as well, "turn that #@&% thing down!"

13. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

I don't still have it, but my first guitar was a Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe. The body wasn't made of wood. Here's a pic of one I found:

[​IMG]

peace
    -jeff

14. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Squier Bullet. Strat body/pickup scheme, and tele neck/headstock. No pic. It's long gone.

15. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

My first guitar was one of these - Grestch Corvette:
    [​IMG]

16. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I started on a POS, rented acoustic in 1967. You could have used the strings as cheese slicers! Young people today have no clue as to how good they have it.

From there it was a Tiesco electric that wasn't much better than the acoustic.

After I had been playing a year my parents bought me a new 1966 Fender Music Master II. That's right, it hung on the dealers wall two years before Mom & Dad bought it for me for $126.00.

I still have it but butchered it in the early '80's along with everyone else when EVH came out. Damn him anyway! I don't even care that much for him, which makes it even worse.

Anyway, a luthier friend is restoring it back to original for me.

17. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

18. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

my first axe was a montoya SG copy...had a bolt on neck...it was a beast...i remember being about 5 or 6 and dragging it across the driveway to my neighbors house....oops!

19. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The mental picture I have of this has me laughing for sure! Hey, at least it was a cheap copy.

20. elambo

elambo Member

A hand-me-down Frankenstrat of some sort. I can't even remember who made it. I tried plugging headphones into the instrument jack and couldn't figure out why I didn't instantly hear beautiful distortion. "This piece of crap is broken..." I think I even unscrewed the jack to see if it was, indeed, disconnected. Enough time has passed now that I'm not embarrassed to tell the story.