Post Your Home Stereo Rig Here

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by spence, Dec 11, 2016.

1. spence

spence Member

Thanks Brian for getting this Forum started. I'll get the party started:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clearaudio Champion Level II Table
    Heed Audio Phono Preamp
    Pass Labs X1 Preamp
    Channel Islands D-200 Monoblock Amps
    Tascam DV-RA1000HD CD Player/Recorder
    SP Technology Timepiece 3.0 Speakers

There's also a home theater system included in the pic (Rotel, Boston, Phillips), but I focused on the main 2 channel system. Some pieces new, some I bought used. The total investment for the 2 channel system was approximately $13,500. I haven't changed a thing for about 5 years.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

The OPPO BDP 105D is the brains of my system out of which everything flows. My computer (with lossless digital files) hooks into the OPPO DAC. Flash drives with music files hooks into the OPPO. My Tivo hooks into the OPPO.

For 2 channel music, the OPPO goes into a Parasound JC2 preamp and from there into Two Parasound JC1 monoblocks. I use Paradigm S6 tower speakers. Fantastic sound at a moderate price. Not cheap but not nearly as expensive as comparable sounding gear.

Cactus Bob, dansworld and 65DuoSonic like this.
  3. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

System before my current one was my best ever. Dedicated home theater room designed from the ground up by an acoustician. 16' wide x 23' long x 10' ceiling, an ideal ratio. Had splayed walls and a sloping ceiling. It was the bomb. 25 custom 2' x 4' x 4" absorption panels and 25 RPG BAD panels. One of the best rooms and systems I have ever heard.

Dunlavy SC-V for L/R mains driven by a Bryston 4B SST amp. Dunlavys were flat to 20Hz so no sub necessary
    Mackie HR 626 center channel (self powered)
    Mackie HR624 surrounds (also self powered)
    Bryston SP2 preamp/processor
    110" screen
    Runco projector
    Oppo BDP-95

When I sold the house, the guy didn't want to pay for the gear or acoustic treatment so I sold most everything because we moved to a small condo.

Moved back to a house a while ago and got a pair of Revel Performa3 F208's powered by a Bryston 3B SST2. Great combination.

Still have the Bryston SP2, Oppo and the Mackie HR 626, running L/C/R for TV/movies and stereo for music. Room does not work well for surround, but I'm thinking of putting some speakers in the ceiling because I miss surround more than I thought I would. I could also use a sub, but the Revel F208's have very good bass.

Wife doesn't want to spend money to get surround speakers and amp or a sub, so I'm toughing it out, lol.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  4. Bigswifty

Bigswifty Member

Carver CM-1090 Integrated amp
    Infinity SM150 Speakers
    Computer with I tunes and you tube

Cactus Bob likes this.
  5. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

Rotel RA-612
    Duntech PCL-15 speakers
    Audio Technica LP120

Couldn't have spent more than $500 on the lot. :hide
    I would like a nicer amp at some point in my life though.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  6. teleman1

teleman1 Member

I wish you all were my neighbors and show offs. Say have you guys had the pleasure of talking some young digital head kid who swears to the high God of jitter and sat them in front of your system? I would take great pleasure watching the confusion on his face.

7. James824

James824 Supporting Member

[​IMG] I'll play as well.

McInstosh MA6600 Integrated
    McIntosh D100 DAC
    Cambridge CXC Transport
    Sony PCM-R500 DAT deck
    Vandersteen 2CEsigII speakers.

Plan to replace the transport with a new SimAudio in a few weeks.

Will post a pic as soon as Phtobucket starts working again.

mrz80, mikeratan00, chichi and 3 others like this.
  8. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

That's a heck of a nice setup!

9. James824

James824 Supporting Member

Thanks,.

Spent the morning at Listen Up auditioning the SimAudio player. Nice one. Will order shortly.

10. sears

sears Member

Harmon Kardon HK3375 (preamp out)
    B&K ST-202
    Marantz CD5004
    Dual 1009
    Klipsch KG3.5
    cheap Polk sub on hockey pucks, turned up just to hear it then down a hair from that
    Chromecast Audio into DA21 coverter

Would I like a dedicated preamp so I'm not running 2xpower amps at once? A better DAC? Better speakers? Sure! But it sounds fine for music, movies, Simpsons, sports.

11. Brian Scherzer

Glad to know that you're in my neck of the woods. I got my Utopia headphones at Listen Up (on Pearl Street), plus about 4 computer pages of purchases through the past 20 years!

12. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

My hi-fi is just my studio monitor rig with a turntable added.

Tannoy System 12 DMT-II monitors
    UREI 6250 power amp
    Thorens TD-166 turntable
    Audio-Technica AT440 or Audioquest 404 cartridge
    Sony DVD player (for cds) into Audio Alchemy DDE DAC (old school!)
    Apogee Ensemble Firewire (for anything on the computer)

The UREI amp with the Tannoys was a revelation. I had the monitors hooked up to a Carver Magnetic Field power amp before, but the UREI is in a whole other class, at least with those speakers. Not bad for $50.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  13. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

Modded Thorens TD 165
    Modded Thorend TD 160
    both w/ Dennon DL110

Vintage Sansui Integrated (rebuilt/recapped)

Modded JBL 15" PA Cabs or
    Altec Segovia's from the 70's

Very modest but I'm very pleased -- This system came after much trial and error and often much more expensive options.

14. cugel

cugel Member

near field all the way: sitting on my mediation cushion with the drivers at ear height about

KEF LS50 monitors on stands
    HSU VTF2 mk4 sub
    Bryston 4b amp
    Perreaux PS1 pre amp
    Audio Alchemy digital spinner
    PS audio DAC
    Rega RP1 turntable

very transparent system. too many poorly recorded discs out there

Cactus Bob likes this.
  15. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

Mac Mini 2012 i7 Quad Core running software players - HQ Player, Audirvana+ and Pure Music - have been using the first two to up convert 2,000+ CD rips, stored on a 4 GB La Cie HD, to DSD128

Mytek DSD192 is connected to DAC by Firewire - it handles PCM 192 and DSD 128 (may need to upgrade DAC to play higher def materials/upsamples), power cable by Virtual Dynamics, sits on Mapleshade platform on big brass points

McCormack DNA-500 connected to Mytek with 5m balanced Yammamura 5000 cables (Amp is very powerful and musical, replaced 180 watt tube monos), Cullen Crossover HC power cable

Aerial 10Ts biwired with Omega Mikro planar (mid/highs) and Acoustic Zen Hologram (bass)

Summary - Very dynamic and musical delivery of digital files through Mytek (guys that build studio equipment that recently started to offer consumer targeted digital - very reasonably priced and extremely flexible gear). Up conversion and memory play dramatically enhances clarity of details like spatial cues, percussion instrumental timbre, singer's character and breathing, sax players' reeds...much greater sense of the event in the studio or stage. These software "players" turn CD rips into hi def quality sonics, very cool stuff. Older very high def speakers (1990s) that kick ass when driven and controlled by a very powerful amp.

Computer, DAC with HQ variable output, SS amp and speakers...pretty simple and no need to mess with hundreds of CD cases, vinyl cleaner, turntable maintenance, tube tweaking...not enough time in my life for that stuff and still play guitar, make a living and care for family.

16. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Polk SDA SRS 2- updated and modded
    Parasound Halo Integrated
    Yamaha T-2 tuner recently updated
    Yamaha Px-2 TT with Denon 110

Cactus Bob and 65DuoSonic like this.
  17. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

The system in the room I work in is nothing glamorous , but is perfectly functional.

It's some Sony receiver/amp, a Dual turntable, cd player and Epi speakers.
    [​IMG]

I pick up a lot of records that aren't in pristine condition. They get played on the dining room "system:"

chichi and Cactus Bob like this.
  18. Brian Scherzer

Dang! Another 10T owner! Those were my favorite speakers. I had the simplest system of an Accuphase CD player (had it's own volume control, into a Levinson 336 and into a pair of 10Ts. I have still never experienced bass like came from those speakers.

19. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

well tempered record player, shure cartridge
    quad 99 cd player
    sansui analog tuner
    conrad johnson pv2 tube preamp
    quad 909 power amp
    magnepan 1.7
    zu audio speaker cables
    old monster cable interconnects

down in the basement, there is
    old thorens tt
    original rotel 855 cd player
    sansui 881 receiver
    bozak symphony speakers (!)

the tube pre is just what the upstairs system needed. nice.

Cactus Bob and PremiumPlus like this.
  20. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

Yup, a powerful, high quality SS amp + 10Ts is a path to the "band in your living room".

Michael Kelly, Mr Aerial, showed his speakers with Levinson power amps like yours. He said that they needed their backbone to control the bass whilst not giving up on the upper register. I found that the DNA-500 has a more expressive/musical voice versus the ML gear which seemed accurate, but "reserved", IMHO a better match for "caffeinated" speakers like the Wilson Watt/Puppies I passed on for the 10Ts. Guess what I'm saying is that good home audio is optimized with synergies amongst components. Polite speakers need rambunctious amps/front ends and vise versa to make music sound dynamic and real...we players know that amps, drum kits, saxes...are anything but polite, in person.

I'm getting the best, most tuneful (versus just quantity) bass from the 10Ts with the upconverted files played on the Mytek...Jaco, Entwistle, Mc Bride, Swallow, Levin...shine in my music room. Not just low notes, but pitch specific, articulate bass playing...never once thought about a subwoofer!