• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Post Your Home Stereo Rig Here

Steve Dallas

Lifestyle system in my study:

Cambridge CXNv2 network streamer and DAC
Cambridge CXA60 integrated amp
KEF LS50 speakers
Dynaudio X14 speakers
Sound Anchor custom height stands
CEntrance Reserve speaker cables
Senn HD6XX phones
HiFiMan HE4XX phones

S2 Amps Thundersquirt 5/10 amp
Helix Floor

It isn't much compared to what many people have posted, but it is perfect for its purpose.

This setup is used for music reproduction while I work, but it is also hooked up to my Helix via SPDIF for when I don't want to use the amp at left.

Last edited:

zombywoof

As it stands - Fisher 500B, Linn Basik and Dual 1219 turntables, Lounge Audio Phono preamp, Cary CD player, and AR 4X speakers (placed to get them in the photo). I also have a pair of Advent speakers not in the photo but which I switch off with the ARs. Tucked away are pair of Harry Klaus designed Sound Valves amps (basically updated versions of his Dynacos) and a BAT preamp. Just do not have space for them right now.

CheckSix

Platinum Supporting Member
System update photo with BAT VK-60 tube amp...

Analog path:
Brinkmann Bardo + 12.1 tonearm + RoNT II power supply (on a HRS R3X iso platform)
Acoustical Systems - Archon MOMC cartridge
Synergistic Research Tricon 1.5m RCA phono cable pair
Pass Labs XP-15 phono preamp
>>>Black Cat Stargate 1m XLR cables<<< (Demo loan)
Audio Research Reference One preamp
Tara Labs RSC Master 1.5m XLR pair
Balanced Audio Technology VK-60 amplifier (all NOS tubes)
Tice 416B Biwire speaker cables
Paradigm Persona 9H loudspeakers (room corrected with ARC down to 15 Hz)

Digital path:
HP Laptop with Roon Labs and 4 Gig of stored digital files
Benchmark DAC3 B
Morrow Audio MA-6 1.5m XLR pair ----> input to Audio Research Ref One preamp
Apple iPad for Roon remote control

CD playback:
Krell KPS-20i with Delta 9 option
Illuminati D-60 cables
Z-Systems RDP-1 digital preamp and 6 band EQ
Tara Labs RSC Master XLR pair into the Ref One

Power Conditioner:
Tice Powerblock III Signature HP
Infinite Speed AC cables
Dedicated two 20amp isolated circuits

Lovan Sovereign Rack system

pickdropper

I am Soldering Iron Man
Vendor
System update photo with BAT VK-60 tube amp...

Analog path:
Brinkmann Bardo + 12.1 tonearm + RoNT II power supply (on a HRS R3X iso platform)
Acoustical Systems - Archon MOMC cartridge
Synergistic Research Tricon 1.5m RCA phono cable pair
Pass Labs XP-15 phono preamp
>>>Black Cat Stargate 1m XLR cables<<< (Demo loan)
Audio Research Reference One preamp
Tara Labs RSC Master 1.5m XLR pair
Balanced Audio Technology VK-60 amplifier (all NOS tubes)
Tice 416B Biwire speaker cables
Paradigm Persona 9H loudspeakers (room corrected with ARC down to 15 Hz)

Digital path:
HP Laptop with Roon Labs and 4 Gig of stored digital files
Benchmark DAC3 B
Morrow Audio MA-6 1.5m XLR pair ----> input to Audio Research Ref One preamp
Apple iPad for Roon remote control

CD playback:
Krell KPS-20i with Delta 9 option
Illuminati D-60 cables
Z-Systems RDP-1 digital preamp and 6 band EQ
Tara Labs RSC Master XLR pair into the Ref One

Power Conditioner:
Tice Powerblock III Signature HP
Infinite Speed AC cables
Dedicated two 20amp isolated circuits

Lovan Sovereign Rack system
Nice amp. ;-)

Steve Dallas

As it stands - Fisher 500B, Linn Basik and Dual 1219 turntables, Lounge Audio Phono preamp, Cary CD player, and AR 4X speakers (placed to get them in the photo). I also have a pair of Advent speakers not in the photo but which I switch off with the ARs. Tucked away are pair of Harry Klaus designed Sound Valves amps (basically updated versions of his Dynacos) and a BAT preamp. Just do not have space for them right now.

LOVE the potted plant stains on the speakers.

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
Lifestyle system in my study:

Cambridge CXNv2 network streamer and DAC
Cambridge CXA60 integrated amp
KEF LS50 speakers
Dynaudio X14 speakers
Sound Anchor custom height stands
CEntrance Reserve speaker cables
Senn HD6XX phones
HiFiMan HE4XX phones

S2 Amps Thundersquirt 5/10 amp
Helix Floor

It isn't much compared to what many people have posted, but it is perfect for its purpose.

This setup is used for music reproduction while I work, but it is also hooked up to my Helix via SPDIF for when I don't want to use the amp at left.
That's a nice looking system and I'm sure it sounds great as well.

In the last 2-3 years, I have become a big KEF fan boy. I now have a pair of the LS-50 Wireless (powered) speakers, two pair of the X300A (powered) speakers (long story there) and, most recently, a pair of their R3 bookshelf (passive) speakers. I don't think I've ever heard a pair of the LS50s but have been itching to get a pair, even though I have no place to put them. I have a pair of mono amps that I think would drive them well but don't have a suitable preamp as I would need balanced outputs for the mono amps.

Steve Dallas

That's a nice looking system and I'm sure it sounds great as well.

In the last 2-3 years, I have become a big KEF fan boy. I now have a pair of the LS-50 Wireless (powered) speakers, two pair of the X300A (powered) speakers (long story there) and, most recently, a pair of their R3 bookshelf (passive) speakers. I don't think I've ever heard a pair of the LS50s but have been itching to get a pair, even though I have no place to put them. I have a pair of mono amps that I think would drive them well but don't have a suitable preamp as I would need balanced outputs for the mono amps.
Thanks! So, we're gonna need pics of your setups...

I guess I am an accidental KEF fanboy too. I have a pair of Q100s in my living room, which I bought for the size, dispersion pattern, and front ports (needed as they are actually in built-in bookshelves). Amazon blew Q100s out for $150 / pair a few years ago, and I managed to grab a pair. I fell in love immediately.

And I have these LS50s after liking the entry level Q100s.

IMHO, the R3s are better speakers all around, and if you have those, you don't need LS50s. The R3s are much better performers in the lower octaves, and are smoother up top around 2K to 5K, where the LS50s have a pronounced rise. As soon as R3s come down in price, I will probably trade up.

I have not heard them, but the LS50Ws are said to be better tuned, thanks to their internal DSP, so again, if you have those, you probably don't need passive LS50s.

Also, the Dynaudio X14s are better measuring speakers in terms of in-room response, but they do not cast the incredible soundstage that the LS50s do. The Dyns make almost any recording sound passable, if not good or great. The LS50s are more like true monitors and will glare at you for playing a poor recording. I like and use both at different times.

Last edited:

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks! So, we're gonna need pics of your setups...

I guess I am an accidental KEF fanboy too. I have a pair of Q100s in my living room, which I bought for the size, dispersion pattern, and front ports (needed as they are actually in built-in bookshelves). Amazon blew Q100s out for $150 / pair a few years ago, and I managed to grab a pair. I fell in love immediately.

And I have these.

IMHO, the R3s are better speakers all around, and if you have those, you don't need LS50s. The R3s are much better performers in the lower octaves, and are smoother up top around 2K to 5K, where the LS50s have a pronounced rise. As soon as R3s come down in price, I will probably trade up.

I have not heard them, but the LS50Ws are said to be better tuned, thanks to their internal DSP, so again, if you have those, you probably don't need passive LS50s.

Also, the Dynaudio X14s are better measuring speakers in terms of in-room response, but they do not cast the incredible soundstage that the LS50s do. The Dyns make almost any recording sound passable, if not good or great. The LS50s are more like true monitors and will glare at you for playing a poor recording. I like and use both at different times.

I have a couple of random pictures on here but not sure where. I might be able to find one. I am cleaning up my "sound room" and may take a few shots with my phone but I stink at that and would like to get my daughter to take a few with a real camera.

As far as the LS50s go, yeah, I don't need them but would switch some systems around. Thinking about selling a pair of speakers (not KEF models) to purchase some other audio gear.

In the KEF family tree, in my experience since I own all these (except the LS50), this is the hierarchy as I see it.

1. R3
2. LS 50 Wireless
3. LS 50 Passive
4. X300A

The R3s are connected to a pair of Rogue M180 tube monoblocks (180 watts per channel) and they amaze me every time I listen to them. I've only had them about 3 months and doubt they're fully broken in yet. I'm sure I could use a better preamp but I need balanced output. Currently, I have a circa 2004? Parasound C1 Controller doing preamp duties and it's pretty good but getting a little age on it.

I have the LS 50 Wireless speakers in a fairly small room (10x12 or so) and listen to them in the nearfield beside by desk...so, about 3 feet or so away and they just kick all kinds of a$$. I don't see how you could better those speakers for $1499.00 especially since they are powered...just add your source. The $1499 figure is at accessories4less.com and the speakers they sell are advertised as "KEF Recertified Product". The company is in Florida and is legit. I checked with KEF about them and they verified their advertising as truthful. I think they were the only on-line Recertified seller of KEF products and finally did find accessories4less listed somewhere on the KEF site.

***They have stereo pairs of walnut and black R3 speakers for $1599. I did not buy my R3s there (would have but I wanted black and they didn't have them at the time) but I DID buy my X300As from accessories...and they are perfect.

I think their stock levels may ebb and flow a lot on the KEF products from what I've seen, but you might want to check them out.

Steve Dallas

I have a couple of random pictures on here but not sure where. I might be able to find one. I am cleaning up my "sound room" and may take a few shots with my phone but I stink at that and would like to get my daughter to take a few with a real camera.

As far as the LS50s go, yeah, I don't need them but would switch some systems around. Thinking about selling a pair of speakers (not KEF models) to purchase some other audio gear.

In the KEF family tree, in my experience since I own all these (except the LS50), this is the hierarchy as I see it.

1. R3
2. LS 50 Wireless
3. LS 50 Passive
4. X300A

The R3s are connected to a pair of Rogue M180 tube monoblocks (180 watts per channel) and they amaze me every time I listen to them. I've only had them about 3 months and doubt they're fully broken in yet. I'm sure I could use a better preamp but I need balanced output. Currently, I have a circa 2004? Parasound C1 Controller doing preamp duties and it's pretty good but getting a little age on it.

I have the LS 50 Wireless speakers in a fairly small room (10x12 or so) and listen to them in the nearfield beside by desk...so, about 3 feet or so away and they just kick all kinds of a$$. I don't see how you could better those speakers for $1499.00 especially since they are powered...just add your source. The $1499 figure is at accessories4less.com and the speakers they sell are advertised as "KEF Recertified Product". The company is in Florida and is legit. I checked with KEF about them and they verified their advertising as truthful. I think they were the only on-line Recertified seller of KEF products and finally did find accessories4less listed somewhere on the KEF site.

***They have stereo pairs of walnut and black R3 speakers for $1599. I did not buy my R3s there (would have but I wanted black and they didn't have them at the time) but I DID buy my X300As from accessories...and they are perfect.

I think their stock levels may ebb and flow a lot on the KEF products from what I've seen, but you might want to check them out.
I bought my LS50s from accessories4less after verifying their legitimacy the same way you did. Since then, I have directed friends to them for Yamaha integrated amps and other stuff. Good company. I have been eyeballing a pair of R3s there lately, but have not wanted to spend money due to the current economic uncertainty.

Last edited:

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
Here is a picture of my CD and LP storage (Ikea product but a custom built in) and my turntable:

Please excuse the Photobucket business; I've never signed up for another online photo hosting site.
CD storage is awesome...very practical

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
CD storage is awesome...very practical
Thanks. I think they look pretty good for cheap stuff. My buddy did a "built-in" approach with them; he can pretty much do anything around the house.

I don't have that gene, unfortunately.

Fitzer

Silver Supporting Member

Here's a breakdown. Nothing fancy or high end, all budget finds from garage sales and stuff. All of it was purchased broken or nonfunctioning besides the speakers. I have cleaned, serviced, and restored all of it myself. I'm invested in this junk pile for under $100 total.

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR4 bookshelf boxes (free curbside pickup)

Receiver: Technics SA-5170, upgraded with LEDs and Nichicon caps in the power section. Very reliable, very basic, 25 watts per channel.

Receiver 2: Kenwood KR-4010, same upgrades as the Technics. The rotary power/speaker selector switch (awful design) is arcing intermittently despite it being desoldered and meticulously cleaned by hand, so it is pulled from service indefinitely and just looks pretty on the shelf now.

Turntable: Technics SL-D2 with Grace HS-4 headshell and an Ortofon Omega cart. This one came to me with low volume and a terrible ground hum. It ended up being one of the tiny hair-thin ground wires had come unsoldered inside the unit. It now runs perfectly and sounds great. I really like the 70s Technics tables. Nice tone arms, easy to find, sound great, super easy to maintain and set up.

On the bench: Technics SL-B2. Stock headshell and an old Audio Technica cart that still works pretty well but doesn't have as much detail as the cheapo Ortofon. Bought this from a tweaker for $15 about a week ago. What was left of the belt had turned into a melted fruit roll-up, and the spindle gear had shattered. A new PRB belt and a new 3D printed spindle gear brought this one back to life with minimal fuss or effort. It runs, looks, and sounds great.

That was my old setup above, back in San Francisco at my old micro apartment. I've since moved to an actual house the midwest and my setup has changed ever so slightly so I figured I'd update.

I am now running the Kenwood KR-4010 receiver in the old photo. It's fine, but the power switch still arcs. It's just part of the design that I live with. I'm waiting for a nice old Marantz at an estate or garage sale to replace it.

I'm still running the same turntable as above, with the same cart and head shell. Ol' reliable. I have a Marantz turntable hidden away in the credenza that is having end-of-record tracking issues despite pretty extensive troubleshooting, or else I might be using it instead since it looks really cool and sounds just as good to my ears.

Speakers are now a vintage pair of DCM Timeframes that I picked up for cheap at an estate sale. They sound fine and look really cool bookending the solid wood media credenza I picked up from CB2 a few months ago. I had to replace the tweeter on the left speaker because it was a bit raspy with certain records, but other than that they've been solid.

On top, the little black cylinder standing up is an Ultimate Ears Megaboom. It sounds really good and wipes the floor with Sonos units I've had that cost 3x as much. I use it as the audio source for my HD Optoma projector via bluetooth, which is mounted out of view on the ceiling. It is 104" when projected on the wall above the credenza, and paired with the Megaboom at a good volume, it is a pretty epic yet basic home TV/theater setup for not a lot of money. Those Megabooms are extremely impressive.

Overall, nothing expensive or high end here. All pretty normal consumer audio equipment that I try to pick up for cheap when I find it. I'm absolutely not an audiophile and have no interest in being one, I just like to spin my records and hang out. Super pleased with my setup here.

IMG_7805.JPG

Trending Topics