• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Post Your Home Stereo Rig Here

Guitarnotsoguru

Ultimate Plutonium Member
Gold Supporting Member
Why are the KEFs on the floor?
Do you switch them out occasionally with the Focals?
Which of the 3 speakers do you like the best?

I don't see any sub and I'd assume that the MLs have the best bass but a$$uming has gotten me in trouble plenty of times.
You are 100% correct. I switch out the Focals and the KEFs on occasion.

Nope, you're right again. The MLs do have some very nice low end extension and don't need a sub and surprisingly the Focals have a very nice bass response as well and the KEFs come in third with respect to bass.

With regard to what I'm listening to, I will play one of the monitors or the floorstanders. But I really can't see myself getting rid of any of the 3 because I like them all for different reasons.

waltkh5

Nice 355! I have one that looks about like that :>

I'm curious to know about your speakers there. Does the top driver also do highs/mids and/or tweeter in the center?
Thanks
Thanks, and I apologize for missing your response. The speakers are a set of Infinity Reference 2000.6’s I purchased new in the late 90’s finished in cherry wood. I confess my ignorance on the specs, it is ported w/ 2 6.5in woofers, and 1in tweeter.

TJNies

I decided to simplify my system big time. I'd had a TV, 4k DVD player, CD changer, home theater amp, 5.1 system with Velodyne sub and Cambridge Audio separates and center, Parasound in-ceiling surrounds, using the B speaker outputs for my porch speakers, all run through a Harmony Elite remote.
Too darn many wires, plugs, and frustration once the Harmony remote decided to go on the offensive.

So ultimately I went to a much simpler system that suits me as well: TV, BlueSound Vault 2 (rips and stores CDs, and streams hi-res music), Cambridge Audio CX-61 integrated amp, Focal Chora 826 tower speakers (no sub), and BlueSound portable speaker (for porch / other room audio).
Sounds better in every avenue than my prior system, fewer wires, easy operation.

Zounds Perspex

Gold Supporting Member
System update photo with BAT VK-60 tube amp...

Analog path:
Brinkmann Bardo + 12.1 tonearm + RoNT II power supply (on a HRS R3X iso platform)
Acoustical Systems - Archon MOMC cartridge
Synergistic Research Tricon 1.5m RCA phono cable pair
Pass Labs XP-15 phono preamp
>>>Black Cat Stargate 1m XLR cables<<< (Demo loan)
Audio Research Reference One preamp
Tara Labs RSC Master 1.5m XLR pair
Balanced Audio Technology VK-60 amplifier (all NOS tubes)
Tice 416B Biwire speaker cables
Paradigm Persona 9H loudspeakers (room corrected with ARC down to 15 Hz)
all most rad, but especially jealous of the Bardo. I demoed one a while back - what a great table!

Here's my setup:

IMG-0383.jpg

IMG-0381.jpg

I use the Luxman L-210 strictly as a phono preamp and source switcher; I don't have a preamp in my system (tuner, CD player and Apple Airport go directly in the Yamaha MX-55 amp).

You can see the two turntables: my trusty Thorens TD-166 Mk II, bought new back in 1986 and a Harman-Kardon T-45C.

The speakers are one of two pairs ever built, by a local Québec company in the early 90s.

amigo30

Silver Supporting Member
You can see the two turntables: my trusty Thorens TD-166 Mk II, bought new back in 1986 and a Harman-Kardon T-45C.
Nice Thorens! The TD-166 Mk II's in good condition are getting harder to find. I've got a TD 125 Mk II that I've put WAY too much money into upgrades in. I put a new Thorens TD-192 tonearm on it and a very nice Clearaudio cartridge, along with a lot of other improvement. I love those old Thorens. I also run an E.A.T. C-Major in the same system.

Nice Thorens! The TD-166 Mk II's in good condition are getting harder to find. I've got a TD 125 Mk II that I've put WAY too much money into upgrades in. I put a new Thorens TD-192 tonearm on it and a very nice Clearaudio cartridge, along with a lot of other improvement. I love those old Thorens. I also run an E.A.T. C-Major in the same system.
I'd like to get my mitts on a TD-125 one day.

Zounds Perspex

Gold Supporting Member
You should hear it with the 12.1 arm and the RoNT II tube power supply!

What cartridge did you demo it with?
I believe it was with an EMT TSD15-N.
It was quite a lovely system overall - DeVore 096s, Leben integrated, a crazy Thoress phono stage, and the Brinkmann.
Pretty sure it had the 10.1 arm, and I don't remember if it had the power supply.

GibsonGeek

I don’t have any exciting pics, but I’ve put together a decent Craigslist setup for enjoying vinyl, cassettes, and 8-tracks. CD player coming soon. I like old stereo equipment, so I swim in the used market. Plenty of great deals out there.

Receiver:
Kenwood KR-11000G

Turntable:
Philips AF 877

Cassette:
Technics RS-TR575

8-Track:
Sony TC-228 Tapecorder

Speakers:
Technics SB-G500 pair
JBL J2080 pair

I have a couple of wind up phonographs for my old 78’s:
Columbia Grafonola Favorite/50 (c.1917)
Madison small portable phonograph (c.1924)

Last edited:

Al Rose

Platinum Supporting Member
I don’t have any exciting pics, but I’ve put together a decent Craigslist setup for enjoying vinyl, cassettes, and 8-tracks. CD player coming soon. I like old stereo equipment, so I swim in the used market. Plenty of great deals out there.

Receiver:
Kenwood KR-11000G

Turntable:
Philips AF 877

Cassette:
Technics RS-TR575

8-Track:
Sony TC-228 Tapecorder

Speakers:
Technics SB-G500 pair
JBL J2080 pair

I have a couple of wind up phonographs for my old 78’s:
Columbia Grafonola Favorite/50 (c.1917)
Madison small portable phonograph (c.1924)

Boy. you're really dating yourself with 8-tracks! ;)

Al

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
Lol, indeed. I enjoy listening to 8-tracks, repairing and cleaning them up, etc. I have a decent little hard rock collection going, a few soundtracks, and some funk/soul. Fun stuff.
If you check those 8-tracks closely, depending on the previous owner's "persuasion", you may find a Doobie Brothers release and even a "doobie" but you might have to pool your resources, if you know what I mean.

john weires

Silver Supporting Member
I owned audio specialty stores for 45 years so I have tried hundreds of different products at home over the years. But the system I have now I have had for five years and have very little desire to change. Which means I'm happy and this is a rare condition for an audiophile.

McIntosh MC-601 600 watt monoblocks
McIntosh C-48 preamp/DAC
Marantz UD-7007 Bluray/CD player
Marantz TT-15 turntable with ClearAudio Virtuoso cartridge
JBL 4367 Professional Series Studio Monitors
Installation grade 10 gauge speaker cable with Audioquest cables (mid grade XLR's and RCA's). I'm proud of how little I spent here.

john weires

Silver Supporting Member
System before my current one was my best ever. Dedicated home theater room designed from the ground up by an acoustician. 16' wide x 23' long x 10' ceiling, an ideal ratio. Had splayed walls and a sloping ceiling. It was the bomb. 25 custom 2' x 4' x 4" absorption panels and 25 RPG BAD panels. One of the best rooms and systems I have ever heard.

Dunlavy SC-V for L/R mains driven by a Bryston 4B SST amp. Dunlavys were flat to 20Hz so no sub necessary
Mackie HR 626 center channel (self powered)
Mackie HR624 surrounds (also self powered)
Bryston SP2 preamp/processor
110" screen
Runco projector
Oppo BDP-95

When I sold the house, the guy didn't want to pay for the gear or acoustic treatment so I sold most everything because we moved to a small condo.

Moved back to a house a while ago and got a pair of Revel Performa3 F208's powered by a Bryston 3B SST2. Great combination.

Still have the Bryston SP2, Oppo and the Mackie HR 626, running L/C/R for TV/movies and stereo for music. Room does not work well for surround, but I'm thinking of putting some speakers in the ceiling because I miss surround more than I thought I would. I could also use a sub, but the Revel F208's have very good bass.

Wife doesn't want to spend money to get surround speakers and amp or a sub, so I'm toughing it out, lol.
Too bad we don't have a 2020 market replacement (with commensurate audiophile demand ala the 80's and 90's) for the excellence and accuracy the Dunlavy speakers offered. The SC-5's were and still are terrific speakers. John Dunlavy is missed by many that new him and or owned his speakers. The basic designs for his later USA built Dunlavy series stemmed from the research and manufacturing he had done in the early 1980's in Australia under the Duntech brand. He moved to Australia from the US because the government gave him a grant to open a speaker research laboratory in Adelaide.

Trending Topics