1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Post Your Home Stereo Rig Here

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by spence, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

Yes.
    Pioneer cs77.
    They are not particularly highly regarded but I tend to listen with my eyes.

That’s what I love about vintage hi-fi.

Still looking for a nice pair of sansui lattice grille speakers.

2. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

I have replaced my vintage system with all new gear. I now have a Rega Brio integrated amp, a Rega P2 turntable, and Bowers & Wilkins 685's. I am very pleased with my modest (by the standards set in this thread) set up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  3. joeh77

joeh77 Member

Just received an Audio Technica LP120 for Christmas. I ordered a set of Klipsch R-15PM speakers off Amazon for $249, which I thought was a steal! Should be here New's Years Eve.

Moby Dick likes this.
  4. charley

charley Supporting Member

Well, the, you’ll hate what I’m about to say....

2-3 weeks ago I had about 5 minutes to kill. I walked past an estate sale. In the back yard, was the “free” pile. Amongst the pile, 2 floorstanding, all original Sansui speakers. Looked brand new after 40 years. If I had enough time to go and get my truck, I would have loaded them up. Still bummed about it.

Moby Dick likes this.
  5. totoro

totoro Member

Squeezebox touch into
    Mytek Brooklyn dac into
    A pair of rhythmik audio f12 se subs and a
    Nord One 500 watt class D Hypex amp into
    Audiokonesis Planetarium deltas which are two way floorstanders with 15” midwolfers
    And horn tweeters for constant directivity. They don’t go deep but are really efficient and dynamic.

A little oddball compare to my old Thorens/McCormick/Audio Physik setup but I think a lot better.

Scott Naylor likes this.
  6. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

I recently relocated my 2 channel system into my home office where it’ll get more use, since that’s where I spend a lot of my time while awake and at home. I had it setup in the Master bedroom and basically never used it while I was doing a lot of sleeping.

Here’s my 2.1 Audio System. I know it's not uber high end, but I've spent some money where I think it counts and I can hear it.

(top to bottom)
    • Pioneer Direct Drive Turntable
      • It’s nothing special, I bought this new in late 70s and it still works fine
      • I have about 400 old records. Not buying much new vinyl today.
    • Perpetual Technologies P1A and P3A DAC (with SOCS for AV123 RS-750s)
    • Sony Tuner – carry over from an 80’s system – Hey, why not keep it in service.
    • Panamax power conditioner
    • Oppo DV-983H – for the occasional CD and 2Ch DVD-A/SACD playback
    • Parasound 2100 Pre-Amp - Has a unique way to connect with 5/7.1 AVR if needed.
    • Integra Power-Amp – ADM-2.1 (125wpc @ 6ohms with RS-750s)
      • This was a refurb purchase from a local audio shop for cheap.
      • I always wanted to get a matching Parasound amp, but just didn’t feel the need.
    • AV123/Rocket UFW-10 Sub @ 500 watts
      • Nice tight 10” sub, fits under the audio rack perfectly.
    [​IMG]

For speakers I use AV123/Rocket RS-750s (which are tied to the PT SOCS software)
    [​IMG]

For audio streaming (FLAC & MP3) I use a Raspberry Pi + HiFiBerry Dac+Pro to feed the PT stack.
    [​IMG]

I was a big Squeezebox user and all mine have died, so I worked up this DIY streamer and run SqueezeLite on the Pi. I store all my music (1TB of FLAC & MP3) on my Synology NAS. I run Squeeze Server (LMS) on the NAS.

A note about the company AV123, maker of Rocket speakers, subs and related to Perpetual Technologies: The owner did some very unscrupulous things related to charity raffles and was indicted for fraud. He paid some fines, did some jail time and the company went out of business. It’s a darn shame as they made some great products and had a strong following of customers. I have a houseful of these products and most are still in active service throughout my house. I'll keep using them, since they have almost no resale value and they sound fantastic. The lesson I learned was never pay up front for 'upcoming/promised/wishware' products. I did not get burned, but I saw many that did.

This seems like a great subforum. I hope to become more active here. Anyone else using a Raspberry Pi + HiFiBerry Dac+Pro for streaming to a high(er) end audio system?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  7. joeh77

joeh77 Member

Just added a Klipsch sub to the mix! Also stopped at a record shop in Darien, CT this week with a nice used section, Johnny's Records. Picked up Mahavishnu Orchestra's Bird on Fire, and Duane Allman Anthology there for $22!

Moby Dick likes this.
  8. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

Not exactly a home stereo rig, this is my home system as it is today. My rack houses my LAN, Crestron system, living room surround system and whole house audio.

DISCLAIMER- I work for Crestron Electronics, so the system is a test bed for products and programming (I am a Crestron Programmer).

Here's the front view:

Rack Door Closed.

[​IMG]

Rack door open.

[​IMG]

From top to bottom:

Crestron CEN-TRACK with ATC-AUDIONET internet tuner
    Crestron PRO2 Control Processor
    OPPO BDP-105 Multi-format disc player (With a Roku stick inserted)
    Crestron PSPHD PROCISE Surround Sound Processor
    A rack shelf with a couple of DirecTV receivers on it
    A rack shelf with a bunch of power supplies and stuff behind a vent panel
    A SurgeX big ass spike protector.
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 5 channel amplifier (for the SS System).
    A couple of Crestron C2N-AMP4X100 Audio multi zone amplifiers for eight rooms of Stereo audio (including 3 stereo channels for the swimming pool and patio).
    A big UPS.

Also on the top of the rack is an iPod dock for the Crestron CEN-IDOC. Yes, I still ise an iPod, a 120Gb unit completely filled with 17000 songs.

There is also a RAID NAS drive on the network with more audio FLAC files for playing through the Oppo.

The rear views:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A couple of views of my wiring harness. It is bundled to neatly cross the two runs over each other and under the rack when I push it against the wall. The white bundle is mostly speaker cable while the other is a mix of CAT5E for the network and audio and HDMI cables going out to the Living Room and home studio.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here you can see everything in the rear of the rack from (top) my Cisco 24 port switch and patch panel for the LAN, down to the SS I/O's, whole house audio amp connections and everything else in between (Including a Cresnet hub on the bottom shelf behind the UPS).

My speakers in the main room are B&W 805 Nautilus for the L-C-R and Crestron Essence 8" in-ceiling speakers for the rears. There is also a Velodyne HGS-12 for the low LFE channel.

All of my in-room speakers are various grades of Crestron in-wall, in-ceiling or outdoor speakers.

I have a Crestron TSW-750 in the living room wall for control of everything as well as various in-wall keypads for audio, lighting, and motorized shade control.

Finally, I do run Crestron App on my tablet which I take throughout the house for control of everything.

It's a fun and versatile entertainment system which I constantly upgrade or tweak the programming for (to the chagrin of my wife) but it is mostly a pretty reliable 24/7 system that basically runs my house. I hope you like it!

9. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

^^^^Hifi Star Trek style!

10. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

Ahh, yeah, I do. ya had me at "My rack houses my LAN, Crestron system, living room surround system and whole house audio." :)

Can ya stop by and rewire my rack, and bring a few extra Crestron gizmos with you.

dansworld likes this.
  11. pnwkiwi

pnwkiwi Gold Supporting Member

Main system:

ClearAudio Concept wood w/Satisfy arm and Benz Micro Gold cart
    Musical Surroundings Phenomena II+ phono stage
    Squeezebox Touch w/ Channel Islands Audio power supply (fed by hardwired Raspberry Pi LMS client to back-end server)
    Bel Canto Dac 2.7
    Mission Cyrus One via Beresford TC-7220 (analog only path)
    Bryston 3B cubed
    PMC Twenty.22

Modest but works.

2016aug29 likes this.
  12. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

UPDATE - Replaced Mytek DSD192 with Mytek's new Brooklyn +, which has better DAC chip, better clock, upgraded analog output and attenuator generating a significant increase in clarity, high frequency purity (no glare on bright recordings) and deeper images. Very cool improvements whilst keeping the dynamics and musicality of the DSD192.

13. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

My place is small so my hi-fi is modest; Arcam Solo and Audiovector speakers.

14. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Updated system all Mcintosh w/ REGA P3 / Teac A-6300 Reel to Reel Auto Reverse 10.5" Reels. JBL L100's mint condition!! Sounds incredible !!
    O'yeah an Early 66 Gibson ES 335 TDC. W/ factory Bigsby.

mrz80, Cactus Bob, bryan83 and 2 others like this.
  15. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

re-did the basement system-
    magnepan 1.7 with myestands
    adcom gfp-565
    quad 606 power amp
    rotel rcd-855
    well tempered record player
    shure v15 cartridge
    ofc zip cord speaker cables
    kimber and monster interconnects

this rig sounds really fine. the adcom works great, super quiet and yes, excellent phono section. competes with the conrad johnson pv2 that i love.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  16. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Wow!

Gotta say though - s p e a k e r p l a c e m e n t !

You're not getting the full potential out of that lovely setup the way it is now.

17. rockinrobby

Totally > with all due respect I don't have the room at the moment @ this time, tell we move into a larger home. I do love what I get at this moment in time..

18. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Then we are in the same boat :) I'm trying make things work in our living room, but it's a huge compromise.

The office that I rent, on the other hand, has great potential, so I want to set up a system there for "serious listening". Just got myself a new 20W tube stereo amp today. Playing it now in the office. My new man cave :D

19. rockinrobby

This is where I spend most of my time, it's in my office in our 1000 sq foot Condo. I can be on the computer or just kickback in my recliner chair and listen to my music in total saclution wife is ok with this!! However, I wish I had a large 20'x 40' listening room but my 10' X 12' room will have to do.. :(

20. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue Member

Are those cabinets on the Mc's? I have a C34v that I'd like to get an enclosure for but not sure if I should try to find an original or go with something like this: mcintoshcabinets.com/pages/mcintosh.htm