Post Your Marshall Experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GtrDr, Feb 20, 2012.

1. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

In 1980 (I was 18) I had saved up for a few years to buy a real Marshall Plexi. I found this guy through a repair shop I was working for. He told me he had 2 Marshall Amplifiers with a 4x12 for each. He purchased them in 1968 & could never use them, they were too loud. I go to his house & here's this guy in his mid 40's living with his mom. They where sitting on the couch watching the TV & at each end was a Marshall half stack with the opaque, cracked amp/cab covers on. They were being used as end tables with lamps perched on them. He wanted $800 for the 2 of em. I didn't even ask to play them, I handed him $800 and wheeled them out before he regained his senses. I get them home & my Lord they were 100w Plexi's. One is the Tremelo model. Had the original tubes in them. The over sized cabs had the original Greenbacks in them. I played the Trem model first. I checked the cabs with a mulitmeter. I turned it up half way & hit a big Townsend chord. The fillings fell out of my teeth. My brother ran away. I could not believe what I was hearing! The cops showed up an hour later.

I have lived in 1 other house since them and these Amps & Basket Weaves have never left those houses except when I moved in 1990. I re tubed them finally in 1995, but kept the originals. The sound didn't change at all.
    To say they sound good is an insult. They are tremendous. At half volume, **** falls off the walls on the other end of the house. They have never been above half way & I have let just 2 people play through them, my Dad & my Uncle. They both had that same look on their faces. I have never bought another Marshall since, don't think I will need too.
    Post you Marshall experience please

2. JStizz

JStizz Member

i had a JCM 800 50watt channel switcher a few years back (I know its nothing compared to your gems). I loved it. great bass response and HUGE tones that were usable in every setting I cared about. I traded it for an amp that I had been gassing for since before I owned that 800, but man, do i regret it.

3. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I was playing in a touring band in Florida back in the early 80's.We were working 5-6 nights a weeks, so I could finally afford to buy a real Marshall. I'm not a 100% sure what model it really was (WTF, it said Marshall on the front), but it was a small box, metal panel 50 watter. Probably a late 1987x or a JTM, I played it for a few years before the band broke up and I sold it for $500 for money to go back to school. I saw a video of the band from those days with me playing that amp. It sounded killer, just like I remembered it. A real shame - I wish I still had that amp. Dope.

4. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

I played many gigs in the 90s with a JCM 2000. It was a workhorse, and sounded great for the music I was playing.

I picked up a Rivera Fandango in 08 and sold the Marshall soon after. As good as it sounded, it didn't hold a candle to the Rivera.

5. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

Love the story and what a friggin score! Hope the caps have been replaced at some time, those amps are from 68'.

My JMP is loud but these 2 sound like they'd rip the fabric of time open.:omg

6. pbmw

pbmw Member

I bought a 64 or 65 (it's been a long time ago...) JTM45. With a 412 cab. It was Godly.
    I played it for ten years or so and sold it. For some ridiculously small sum of money. I've regretted it ever since.
    I looked around three or four years ago thinking I might be able to buy one again. Um...they've gone up some in price.
    I had Ceriatone build me one.
    Were it not for people cloning these amps, I'd never have the chance to play one again

7. SeanMc

SeanMc Member

My Marshall experience is that I love how other players can sound through them. I've never really liked how I sound through them.

8. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

My first tube amp was a Marshall. I've ventured off into boutique land for awhile, but I always seem to come back to owning at least one Marshall. My favorite amps. The Marshall sound is the sound of rock and roll.

9. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Back in my 1970's Hard-Rock days, the band I was in bought several Marshall NMV MKII Super-lead stacks for the two guitar players in the band... All of the heads were loaded with 6550's... We even used them in the studio back then - we fortunately kept the guitar tracks fairly dry in the mix - and because of that, those old guitar tracks still sound pretty good when you give 'em a listen even today...

These days, I've down-scaled (somewhat), but still use a 1982 Marshall 2203 (loaded with 6550's) thru a 1936 2x12 cab - AND, that well-recognized Marshall crunch is still there... That classic Marshall sound is still just about unbeatable, IMO...

10. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

The first ones I ever saw were in 1972. A friend of mine worked for a man whose son was a guitar player and he bought them and had them shipped over from England. He had some killer equipment but it was all setting in his garage. My friend bought one of his it was a metal panel. Later I found one in a music store, it was a 70 to 72. My ears still ring.

11. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

My marshall exp is not good. I had a valvestate from 1996 then i spent a bunch of cash on a dark purple vintage-modern. Sold at a loss a few weeks later.

12. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Now that is funny...I get the feeling you keep those amps close...are they by any chance wearing lamps, hidden away from view as 'end tables'? :p For protection reasons...! ha!

My first experience with a 'real' amp (I had a SS amp so bad that I would have loved a Gorilla) was through a 70's Marshall half stack.

I joined a band and the other guy had a mate with a 100w Plexi and a 4x12 and this is the rig I got to play through every time we jammed...run at about 6 on the dial.

It was always an out of body experience for me (I was in my late teens) and my ears naturally rang for a day afterwards (which wasn't so good) but I loved every single second of it.

I've run through a few solid Marshalls since and owned an early 100w JCM800 half stack but now I own a Ceriatone Yeti and I'm sitting very pretty indeed. This is an amp I will never, ever sell. It may not be pricey or old or rare but it's mine (and suits me to a T) and it's possibily the most special musical item I own.

13. xtian

xtian Member

I was in a South Bay rock band in the early 90s, and our rhythm guitar player/singer had a Marshall half stack. I knew almost nothing about tube amps, except for the fact that his was PAINFUL to anyone standing in front of it's RAY OF DEATH. Hell, I wasn't much better. My "stack" was a Roland JC-120 with a solid-state Peavey Bandit on top. Ah, youth. Video evidence here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2OuBhQWV3A

Fast forward 20 years, and now I build and fix tube amps. I found a 1983 JCM 800 2203 with no head cabinet at a local musician's swap meet for cheap. Aww, yeah. Now I like Marshalls. A lot!

14. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

In the late 80's I was living in LA. I've owned a couple of Marshalls but, at that time I was playin' a Duncan 60 Convertible amp head through a Marshall 412.

I wanted to get another Marshall head. So, I looked in the LA Recycler paper and found a guy who had a early 80's JCM 800 2204 head for sale. I called and asked if he was interested in a trade.
    He was so a friend and I went to his place.

We get there and there was this nerdy looking cat wearing a sweater. He said hi I'm Karl.
    We went in and we went to his garage. There was the Marshall on top of a 412.

We noticed he was into wood working as there were benches a saws and wood piled up.
    So, I asked what kida wood work do you do.
    He then asked if we heard of Randy Rhoads.
    Hell yeah!! We both said. He is one of our fav guitars players.

Karl then got out a photo book.
    Then we see it. The polka dot V that looks like the one Randy Rhoads played.

Yes, you guessed it. Karl was Karl Sandoval. The guy who built the polka dot V for Randy Rhoads.
    Both of us were floored. I still have his card to this day.

Karl was a great guy and we had a blast talking to him and hearing the stories.

Oh, he traded me the JCM 800 even for the Duncan convertible.

15. MCK

MCK Member

16. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Here's my Marshall story:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=875868

I sold the Super Lead and wish, almost every day, that I did not sell it. Unbelievable amp. But I absolutely HAD to use an attenuator, so I've moved on to a MV amp that "does" Marshall really well.

17. Cussion

Cussion Member

I've got many great Marshall experiences.
    A very moving one.. Few years ago I was about to play a gig with a group and I didn't have my own amplifier with me. We were two guitarplayers and both played Les Pauls into Boogie combos (MkIIB and MkIV). The other guitarist played his MkIV while I borrowed this Marshall half-stack. I think it was a signature head of some kind. Maybe a Slash sig head. It was such a change in tone..! Suddenly I could feel the notes vibrating through the floor and the walls of the venue. Not long after I sold the MkIIB and bought a Marshall JCM 800 2203 and a 4x12 Celestion cab! Still own my old MkI Boogie, though.

18. marshall2288

marshall2288 Member

Being that my first name is Marshall, I've owned many Marshalls. It's awesome when people fall for the "I have it custom built in London, that's why my names on it."

I only play Marshall cabs.

19. MCK

MCK Member

Wicked! :bow

20. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

You know I dream of coming across deals like this, whether it's a yard sale or something other. It hasn't happened yet, I'm sorry to say. I've owned a few Marshalls over the years, starting with an '81 JCM800 50-watt which was a great amp. I can't top this story, though. Fantastic.

:beer