Post Your NATURALLY Worn Guitars!

Bobby D

my Kubicki Tele is from 1984 - I really love this guitar, I am the third owner of this magnificent instrument. The first owner was a guitar instructor and gigging professional, and he played it a LOT over 20 years, he sold it to one of his students (who is a member here and at TDPRI) and then I took a chance on this guitar knowing how good Kubicki's necks were and also knowing how RARE complete Kubicki instruments are. Plus, it's got real VIBE - no fake relicing or over the top attempts to make it look old. This is just real wear after 30+ years of students and gigs!

=JL=

I didn't realize that modern goldtops turn green when exposed. I thought Gibson changed the composition of the paint years ago.
I was surprised to see it too, having read that modern ones don't do it.

As a July 2012 guitar it's also bang in the middle of the period when it's absolutely guaranteed to have a laminated fingerboard, but it hasn't.

That's the internet in action I guess, even old cynics like me are susceptible to the constant drip feed of repeated misinformation.

yeatzee

I have its older brother!
How funny! Post up its story! Mines a 63 that in the early 70's was Mod'd with the rare '72 embossed t-top in the neck and grovers. The pickups were also wired out of phase so the middle position is full on quack. It's a mut but I love it!

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Silver Supporting Member
How funny! Post up its story! Mines a 63 that in the early 70's was Mod'd with the rare '72 embossed t-top in the neck and grovers. The pickups were also wired out of phase so the middle position is full on quack. It's a mut but I love it!
i bought it here not that long ago. Mine has a 70s Dimarzio PAF-style pickup. I was going to replace the Dimarzio with a t-top, but the Dimarzio is so perfectly balanced with the P-90 that I cannot touch it. It has four knobs and pots, but is wired like a Tele with both pickups going into two knobs. I was going to change that, but it sounds too great. I did change the previously mismatched knobs to four witch hats that may be repros or originals, I'm not sure. It has a repaired headstock that appears to be stable. It is a crazily wonderful guitar that sounds great in all positions and for regular playing and slide.

I love how your embossed cover is upside down!

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Silver Supporting Member
i bought it here not that long ago. Mine has a 70s Dimarzio PAF-style pickup. I was going to replace the Dimarzio with a t-top, but the Dimarzio is so perfectly balanced with the P-90 that I cannot touch it. It has four knobs and pots, but is wired like a Tele with both pickups going into two knobs. I was going to change that, but it sounds too great. I did change the previously mismatched knobs to four witch hats that may be repros or originals, I'm not sure. It has a repaired headstock that appears to be stable. It is a crazily wonderful guitar that sounds great in all positions and for regular playing and slide.

I love how your embossed cover is upside down!
Mine is a '57.

This is my oldest guitar, a Romantic era classical unfortunately no longer baring a label but probably of Austrian or south German origin. It plays very well, not as loud or bassy as a modern classical but very sweet sounding. There's an X brace under the bridge although it's a completely different take on it than a Martin style X. It looks pretty clean, doesn't it?

It's about 150 years old!

Now that is a mustache to be proud of, even an Italian plumber would be proud of that.

I do wonder though how many people here who have posted pictures of their naturally worn guitars if they were to be contacted by the guitar manufacturer - I know that guitar finishes are not covered by any of the warranties, and were offered to have their guitars collected free of charge and returned to the factory that they were originally built in to be refinished to look like new again, would take the guitar manufacturer up on that offer?

Jayyj

Supporting Member
Now that is a mustache to be proud of, even an Italian plumber would be proud of that.

I do wonder though how many people here who have posted pictures of their naturally worn guitars if they were to be contacted by the guitar manufacturer - I know that guitar finishes are not covered by any of the warranties, and were offered to have their guitars collected free of charge and returned to the factory that they were originally built in to be refinished to look like new again, would take the guitar manufacturer up on that offer?
It's interesting how many different takes there are on this. Some people would happily refinish a guitar to get it back to factory original - both Gibson and Martin used to offer that service and I've seen a lot of vintage guitars that were clearly refinished fairly early on in their life - others cherish the wear and love the uniqueness that all those bumps and scratches add to the guitar. Then there are the ones who like to buy a new guitar that looks fifty years old, and those who search out fifty year old guitars that look like they've just left the factory... there's something for everyone, I suppose. Personally I love guitars with natural wear. The idea that a guitar has travelled many miles and numerous gigs before it passed to me is a wonderfully romantic notion and that wear is part of the appeal. I'll happily admire mint vintage guitars when I come across them but being absolutely honest they don't inspire me as much as a beat to hell old thing that has clearly had a long history.

I once had an old 30s Gibson acoustic refinished that had previously had a rather amateur looking refinish. I loved the guitar and thought it deserved a proper restoration. The finisher did a beautiful job of matching the original colour and making it look like it just came off the line at Parsons St. It was an enormous mistake - with the dubious brushed on sunburst and a fair bit of wear accumulated since it had a cool personality that somehow got lost in the refinish. When I got it back it was just another guitar, and whatever I loved was gone. I don't think it sounded different, and it played better due to getting a neck reset at the same time, but it just wasn't the same guitar. Lesson learned: from now on I want the bumps and scratches to stay.

I do wonder though how many people here who have posted pictures of their naturally worn guitars if they were to be contacted by the guitar manufacturer and were offered to have their guitars collected free of charge and returned to the factory that they were originally built in to be refinished to look like new again, would take the guitar manufacturer up on that offer?
Never, no way. I like my bruised slightly beaten up guitars. I like old things much more than new, with the sole exception of computers and cameras. I buy used wherever possible

Trending Topics