Post Your NATURALLY Worn Guitars!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by yeatzee, May 19, 2017.

1. Kurtis LeCompte

Kurtis LeCompte Member

This guitar was made by a luthier(my father) back in 2011, and I started out on it in December of 2013. This is almost 3 years of my ignorance towards handling expensive equipment, since for the last year I acknowledged it's importance. This is the only guitar that he made. He used to make basses at this website: http://www.lecomptebass.com/ (BTW, he is considering bringing it back if anyone is interested ;))

I also have an EJ strat that the previous owner put some nicks in, but they aren't visible in the images, so I did not upload them.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

I am lusting after that painted headstock strat.

3. buyusfear

buyusfear Member

Admittedly, most of the wear probably happened before I was born, but she is mine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  4. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Financially, a refin will cut the value in half. And the original factory is long gone.

But yea, one reason I stopped gigging the guitar (see first page) in the early 90s was that it was starting to be worth money ( a couple thousand at that point, yea, not a lot considering) and even more so, because it was so beat up.

5. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

1979 Les Paul Standard with nearly 4 decades of gentle playwear
    [​IMG]

seantk, DBBlues and Mr. Bertha like this.
  6. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

7. Dr. Tinnitus

Dr. Tinnitus Member

1983 Hohner Tele Deluxe

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Dashface, e???, DBBlues and 1 other person like this.
  8. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

I've been thinking about doing it to one of my guitars - see the photos in my self quote below, specifically my new to me Ibanez, not the Fender which is much older than it, though that is mainly because I have now owned that Ibanez for less than 6 months, yes that guitar almost 17 years old now, but I bought it and a few others brand new less than 6 months ago, I didn't buy them secondhand, they were old unsold stock that I got for cheap. In the case of the Ibanez, I've now worn part of it down to the bare wood since I posted the photos of it. I always thought that Ibanez, even their made in Japan models like the one pictured below, had a finish on them as thick as Fender's, if not thicker, yet the red Fender Stratocaster that I posted a photo of has nowear near the wear, it's mainly discolourisation of the headstock, and a small patch that has been worn down to the wood on the forearm contour, which make me think that the finish on my Ibanez Super Strat clone, is faulty. If you were to compare it to all the Ibanez ARZ guitars that I have - Ibanez's Les Paul clones, I have had all but one of my AZR's for longer and gigged at least two of them for two years, yet they don't show much if any signs of wear in their finish. I would even go so far as to say that most of my AZR's, especially the 7 and 8 string ones look brand new, it's only the Ibanez Super Strat clone that is pictured in the quote below that I have that I would consider spending the cash on refinishing, as a guitar made in the late 90's, it's not worth much, and never will be, plus, as I said, the finish on it must be faulty for me to go through it that quickly, and it's not the guitar that I reach for most of the time for my guitar lessons, gigging, noodling and practicing, it's probably one of my least used. I have a Hofner Congress, or 450 as they were called in America from 1959 - they where the entry model acoustic of their day and they are not valueable today they can be easily found in great shape for less than US$600.00, and it has far less wear in it than my Ibanez Super Strat clone, which is another reason why I'm considering spending the cash on a refinish for the Ibanez.

9. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

there are a lot of old guitars on this thread, a refin on one of those would be a mistake.

an Ibanez, I can't say. I do know some of them are valuable, not sure what a refin would do to one of those as far as price. A run of the mill used guitar, probably would not be worth all that much original or refin.
    What is the guitar worth? What it worth with a refin? You can see it on an old strat, I think Reverb even has a chart, by year.

A 1998 American Standard strat? heck, the refin would probably cost almost as much as the guitar is worth. I can't see it hurting the value.
    A more modern guitar, generally, is not going to be worth 5 figures and it really isn't that big an issue.
    So, yea, it depends.

10. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

11. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

So, the frets are nearly perfect but the finish is all mushed up? are you, like, the Toxic Avenger?

12. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

Maybe lol. I think it was just a poor job on the finishing work.

I have a dano tele that I played much more than the king bee pictured and There's barely any wear on the fretboard.

13. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

Makes sense, I've had guitars with a very soft finish too.

14. poonman66

poonman66 Supporting Member

I guess this is what 55 years of "natural wear" amounts to...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    bobbradley likes this.
  15. wattage

wattage Member

My '05 Standard Faded

Pics kind of hide the wear

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KrisCHS likes this.
  16. fataxeman

fataxeman Supporting Member

First of all, this has happened to me and I take most of the blame. A friend had played my nearly new Les Paul Studio and then put it back in the case. Rarely do I keep a guitar in the case.

Later that night (or whenever), I picked up the case (by the handle) and the guitar fell out on the latch taking a couple of good sized divots out of the wood on its top surface . See, I ALWAYS put the lid down and close the latch when I put a guitar in a case so it did not occur to dumba$$ me that the latch was not actually latched. My fault for not checking.

To me, this is like the person that sets the lid on the salad dressing but doesn't screw it on. So, pick the jar up by the lid and maybe spill it OR, even worse, grab the bottle and (not checking the lid or holding your finger on it) give it a big whiplash move and now it's on the ceiling or maybe someone's face.

Due to my deteriorating short term memory (but mostly my OCD I guess), I don't trust myself; even after checking that the lid is screwed on, I slide my finger over the top before giving it a mighty shake.

17. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

My '54 Guild X550. Interestingly it's in almost the same condition as it was when I purchased it in the early 80's, even though I've played it a lot. The previous owner/owners must have played her pretty hard, wore big belt buckles, and rode the control knobs a lot! I finally broke down and had it refretted a few years ago and it plays as good as any new guitar. I sure like taking her out and not worrying about getting a new scratch or two :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

e???, TwoToneGreen, ripgtr and 2 others like this.
  18. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

2010 Gibson LP Jr w/ matching LP Jr amp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Hector Arcadius and bobbradley like this.
  19. Patrick B

Patrick B Member

This thing has been to hell and back!

jerrycampbell likes this.
  20. Patrick B

Patrick B Member

The Pink Paisley is my all time favorite!!!!! Is this an actual vintage '68 or '69? The body looks like it, but the neck looks newer. If so, you gotta share the story behind this one!!! Not many own one of these beauties.