Post your "sleeper" amp rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mvd18969, May 10, 2008.

1. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

We all have them, the amp rig that we picked up very cheap and it sounds killer! Show it proudly and tell us what it cost..

Below is my favorite "sleeper" rig that I own. Its a Crate GT50 head (powered by 4 JJ 6v6 power tubes) and a Marshall 4x10 cab. The tone of this rig is pure 80s metal heaven. Ratt, Dokken, Scorpions, you name it. I call this rig the Marshall killer. It smokes just about anything that a player playing this type of music would gig with.[​IMG]
    Cost: The head was $250 and I got the cab for $50

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have basically the same rig and it is KILLER! Its an Ampeg VL502 and I am also using a Marshall 1965B, 4 X 10" cab with a rear baffle that I made, with a rear port. I have a Canadian Marshall JCM 800 2204 that I love but this thing can smoke it in several categories, not that the Marshall isn't great for what it does.

Hail Lee Jackson!

3. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

New Fender Vibro Champ XD. 5W tube/modeling hybrid with 8" speaker - $250 new. Sounds a little boxey and small when in the same room, but still a wonderfully versatile good feeling practice amp. Stick a SM57 in front of it and it records great. I actually way prefer it to a POD or other modelers. I have also been taking it to band practice and running through PA. Still bring the big iron for gigs.

4. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Be sure you don't lose that ignition key!!! I had my eye on an Ampeg VL-503 combo a few weeks ago. I waited too long to pull the trigger (was deciding between that, a 5150 combo, and a Peavey Ultra 212 combo) and someone beat me to it. It's a shame that these Lee Jackson designed Crates and Ampegs didn't really catch on when they were released. IMHO, they are the most underrated hi gain amps out there.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I agree! Definately cops that Ratt tone to a tee! Great for 80's metal. The combo looks even like more of a sleeper IMO. Most guys(even the guy at the music store where I bought it) think its just another SS Crate combo! Nope 6V6 powered 80's metal machine! Bob

[​IMG]

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

Lee Jackson put a spare key inside of every VL amp. If that is missing too, it is easy to simply jumper the internal switch. I have never used my key. It doesn't prevent anyone from stealing the amp or changing the settings. It only keeps people from turning them on when you are not there.

7. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

8. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Yes, there was actually an "ignition switch" on the front of the amp that you needed a key to use. it basically was a lock on the electronics so that no one could try it when you went for dinner after the soundcheck.
    I actually owned one for a short period of time; I didn't bond with it like I did with the Crate so I sold it.

9. bilbal

bilbal Member

Here is mine - this little "living room rig" really smokes!!!! Mind you I won't be playing any gigs with it but it's fun for home.

[​IMG]

10. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I dont have a pic, but most of my amps are "sleepers"

I gig with a Peavey VT Series Classic 50

I practice with an Alamo Embassy combo that I have converted into a Head.

I also play with a Ceriatone Marshall 18 watt TMB Ef86 combo that I built a pine 1x12" combo for. Well the ef86 shakes like a rattlesnake, so I made the combo into a pine head. Looks weird though, the chassis is mounted vertically, which makes for a tall head cab. Sounds great though!

dk

11. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

HA I used to play the same zoom multi effect into a valve jr head and a behringer 4x12" cab. Great little rig. With a mic, I bet you could gig with it!

dk

12. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 with a Fulltone OCD and Fatboost. All I really need.

13. bilbal

bilbal Member

The Zoom is a pretty cool little processor isn't it? The more I think about it, in a pinch and with a mic you may be right. The VJ has ba**s for 5 watts.

14. digital jams

digital jams Member

JC-120 pushed with an MI Audio Blues Pro, laugh all you want but it delivers the goods in a pinch.

15. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

Peavey Valve-king 112. I've owned some well respected amplifiers including some boutique stuff, but this is my all time favorite and I'm not ashamed to admit it. No mods at all. It's prefect for my taste straight out of the box.

Only weakness is the re verb is not that great, but pedals take care of that.

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member

OK the my "new" "beater rig" deserves mention. Completely looks like crap but Im enjoying playing it. Only amp I dare put in my cavelike cellar. Part of it is the freedom to play at this time of night. Just got thru a bit of practicing right now. Volumewise its definately a sleeper! Louder than any amp Ive played (260 watts!)and doesnt sound half bad considering its an old SS it has decent sound dirty channels, chorus and verb.Bob

[​IMG]

17. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Traynor YGL-3a Mark III

18. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I don't know if this is considered a sleeper, but this amp has the most dynamic tone. Running one el34 in class A at about 20 watts. There were less than 100 made before ADA went out of business.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

I wanted one so bad when they came out. Nice!

20. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I think the Rocket is a bit too nice looking to be a sleeper. If the amp was ripped to shreds or falling apart, or rebuilt into a different cab or something, then it would be a sleeper.

dk