Post your thoughts of Wampler ODs please!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by foo_3001, Dec 16, 2009.

1. foo_3001

foo_3001 Member

..the title just about says it.

I recently bought a Super Plextortion - and judging by a studio session today (through a GT Soul-O Single and a 1x12 closedback) it´s pretty good in what it´s advertised to do. I don´t know if it really sounded like a Marshall, but it seems to be like a real good distortion box. Not sure about the bass frequencies though, it seems quite boomy in a strange way. Not over-the-top like a Box of Rock is, and not bass-honky like a Tube Zone, but just.. well.. "big". Didn´t have time to tweak a lot, but seemed quite easy to get it to sound pretty allright.

Now I´m interested in the Cranked AC.. Any thoughts / experience on that one?

The Pinnacle seems to gather a lot of attention, and judging by YouTube clips, it´s fantastic in achieving the EVH/Shred sounds.

The Wamplers are quite hard to get any info of, as they´re pretty new, but I´m sure there are users on TGP. Please share your experiences!

2. ToneRanger72

ToneRanger72 Supporting Member

I've got a Pinnacle for my high gain sounds - had the 3 band eq version made - and it's pretty awesome - brown sound for miles.
    I also tried an early model PlexiDrive and was really impressed with it as well - I prefer OD's that have more than just a single tone knob though - otherwise it would have been a keeper as well...

3. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

I've had a few different Wamplers and I think the Pinnacle is the best. I can dial in the sounds of the Plexidrive, Plextortion, etc. Plus the high gain stuff is fantastic. I also had the toneclonepedals Cranked AC kit and it was great as well.

4. unoguitar

unoguitar Member

I have the Cranked AC and am very happy with it.
    Prior to purchase I was considering the Wampler, the Menatone TBIAC, the Carl Martin AC, or one of Vox's own pedals (Brit Boost, etc.).
    The Cranked AC came available first so I got it. For me it does capture what I feel to be the Voxy sound I was seeking. I have not owned a Vox amp so my demands are probably not too discerning.
    But it sounds good, and offers a good range too, more than just the cranked gain. IMO, FWIW.

5. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Another pinnacle user here. Does the high gain stuff about as well as any pedal I've tryed. Very tight bass, good midrange...pretty much the hot-rodded marshall sound if you are after that.

6. spence

spence Member

My Triple Wreck came today and I just tried it out through a Crate Powerblock and 1-12 cab. I'll get to try it through my good amps later (Bluetron, Aiken), but this thing just smokes. The tone controls have a wide frequency response so you can really tailor it to your liking. I was using a P-90 LP Custom and I flat out had a blast with this thing. It sounds great.

7. foo_3001

foo_3001 Member

EDIT2: For some reason the soundclick page stopped working.. But in brief, even though the basic character of the pedals was somewhat similar, there were some differences aswell -

-the BB was the most nasal, TubeScreamer-like of the three, cleaned up very well. A nice one for stacking I think.
    -the Tube Zone has a boomy low-mid-content, but sounds really smooth. Also, quite quiet for a high-gainer. Good standalone high-gainer.
    -the SuperPlextortion was the most balanced of the three, really good gain, smooth and defined. Didn´t clean up aswell as the others - but did it still quite well. I was surprised that it´s the noisiest of the three, though.

Here´s a real quick comparison of the BB Pre / MI Tube Zone / Wampler Super Plextortion.

First round is the BB, then TZ, then SP, with unity volume, gain and EQ at noon.

Second round is the same order, with max gain, unity volume, and eq slightly opened up.

EDIT: Added the cleanup-test for the SP.. Forgot it in the original test..

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  8. foo_3001

foo_3001 Member

...still looking for more reviews on the Cranked AC, there´s not so much to be found yet.

Loving my SuperPlextortion, btw..

9. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

Very impressed with my Plextortion. Very smooth tones and tons of gain. The 3 band EQ is very effective, and allows you to really tweak your tones. Surprisingly very touch sensitive and dynamic. Definitely a winner. I'd recommend it.

I had the Super Plextortion before too and the one I had was too soft, unity volume was the volume nearly all the way up. This may have been fixed now though. It gave very good tones too.

Both boxes gave me fat crunch and singing sustain.

10. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

I've had my PlexiDrive for a few years and it hasn't ever come off my board. It has a bass boost switch which really fattens up the single coil PUs on my strats and teles. It's really been a keeper for me.