Posted This on The Amp Page But Maybe It's Better Suited Here, Yet Another Modeling?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

Yes, as if we've never talked about this before on TGP! My desires are simple yet I'm sure it doesn't exist but here goes. My main rig is a Bogner Duende, a couple of fuzz pedals, a wah and delay and I love it to death. On the occasion though there are times where I just don't even feel like hauling the amp and small pedalboard to band practice, sometimes I'd just like to be able to just sling my InCase bag on my back and bring one small floor unit to go direct record with. My desires of said unit would be floor unit, sounds great direct, offers a couple of nice amp models clean and distorted, has a delay and wah. Anything else would be icing on the cake. I'm looking at $399 max.

Now, I've done the direct thing before in the past, having owned original POD, POD 2.3, Boss GT-5, have used a GT-6, a POD XT and for years I used to use a Koch Pedaltone with outboard effects boxes. The likely candidates now could be Boss GT-8, POD XT Live and Vox Tonelab LE. The Axe-FX has always been in the back of my mind but I don't need that kind of horsepower and it's way outta my price range, especially for something used as an alternate to my Bogner rig.

The best direct device I've heard to my ears right now is the POD X3 but I'd have to go X3 Live to get an all in one floor deal and it's pushing $500 and I've heard there are rumblings over at the Line 6 forum that there are some issues with it.

The one thing that holds me back from the GT-8 (GT-10), POD, Tonelab etc is that there is so much in these units I will never use. If I could just get a nice Marshall amp sound direct with some effects, I'd be happy as a clam. What else should I be looking at?

One crazy thought I had was the Digitech Hendrix pedal. No it doesn't have delay but I remember reading where the unit really shines going direct and you can get some tones out of it that just aren't strictly signature Hendrix sound.

2. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

i'd say yes to tech21 and hell no to anything line6

3. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

yeah look around for an amp modeler.

4. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Zoom discontinued it a few years back, but the GFX8 (dark green floor multi fx) is STILL one of the fattest, most analog sounding units I ever owned. They can be found pretty cheap on eBay and they are SUPER easy to program.

KILLER vintage EVH type tones even.

Just a thought

:dude

5. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

the option that looks most interesting to me is a Stephenson stage hog.

6. Josh O

Josh O Member

I forgot about the SansAmp stuff. Did anyone see those new Character pedals they have? The GT2 could be a way to go, the other thought I had would be the Korg Pandora PX5D. Probably not as accurate as a SansAmp I would imagine but lots of cool features packed in that little box plus I could use it around the house with headphones. I forgot years back I used to use a Pandora PX3 direct and it actually wasn't bad, the problem was you couldn't change presets with a footcontroller. Looks like they took care of that with the PX5D, you can hook any footswitch up to it to change presets.

7. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I'd say either the Vox stuff for more vintage sounds, or you could get a CMAT Brownie (new-$130) for the high gain Marshall sound, and then maybe pick up a used AX1500 or AX3000, or even a used Boss ME-50 for strictly effects models. I have an AX1500 that I bought used and I use it mainly for the effects. But I would have to recommend the 3000. The ME-50 and a Brownie might be the way to go for you, though. If you need to get headphones for it, definitely get the Carvin ones. They're $50 and they are incredible for the money (They should cost $150).

8. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I totally almost forgot. Try the Yamaha modeling amps and maybe the Magicstomp. I heard Doyle Bramhall using one of their modeling amps in a Utube video and was blown away when I found out what it was.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XngCctzGU7I
    Try to find the thread that I did on this as well. I think he was using a separate univibe clone but I don't know about the fuzz sound(it might be a pedal, I don't know).

9. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Also check out this clip for the Yamaha.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=invo5D6SuBQ
    I think this is just the amp, and nothing else (but don't quote me on that). Doyle is doing the David Gilmore part and playing a Strat. I don't know what type of rig the other guy with the Les Paul is using. It's a great clip, regardless.

10. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Has cab simulator... I have recorded direct with it with very good results and have used it live as my "amp" with pedals in front or behind. Doesn't have a lot of presets just clean channel, overdrive channel and boost like a D*mble amp

11. apoyando

apoyando Supporting Member

Another big vote for the Ethos, plus add the Retroman Dumbox in there. Have used both very successfully through a PA live... and I own a Fuchs, a Vincent and a Star.......