Postrock noob trying to get his gear straight

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by animalfarm, Feb 17, 2012.

1. animalfarm

animalfarm Member

Hi guys,

I'm struggling with my current setup - I play in postrock combo, and dirt is essential to our sound. Whats mostly important to me is dynamics - I want to be able to control at least 3 gain stages, one clean, one overdriven and one heavy, ideally without tap dancing, so stacking is going to be necessary. My current setup is

git>JAM Rattler (Rat clone)>Boss CS3 (used as a boost)>Boss >Dely&Reverb>100W JCM 900 (one clean, one dirt channel)

Pedals at disposal: Fuzzgod 2, Boss OD3

Somehow, this setup just cant get balanced. Dirt sounds fizzy, especially with the amps dirt channel + the Rat. When additionally engaging dirt channel, the feedback is just unbearable. And the setup doesn't clean up when using the volume pot.

I have budget for 1 additional pedal, ideally to replace an existing one. I don't want too many pedals on my board.

Can anyone help?

2. losergeek

losergeek Member

Maybe a smoother OD instead of the rat? A tubescreamer or something similar would probably play nicer with your dirt channel. When I played in a post rock band, it was the only time I've actively used a footswitch to bounce between clean and dirt channels (on a jcm600) - it's just useful to get those huge dynamics between the crystal clear and the deep dirt.

3. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

What guitar are you using?

I would set up your rig in this order like this:

Boss OD-3
    Rat Clone
    Boss RV-3
    Amp set clean as possible.

Sell the Fuzzgod 2. It sounds very non-post-rocky to my ears in the demos.

Almost any Big Muff or Big Muff clone will get you into the ball park. At that point, you might decide you don't like the Rat either.

4. jfiedler26

jfiedler26 Member

May I suggest some tweaks to the actual amp?
    I played a JCM 900 100w for years. I always felt that the amp distortion was a bit fizzy. However there are some mods that you can have done with the amp to obtain some better distortion tones from it... especially a Bass, and Gain mod. As well as possible going to some EL84 or KT88 tubes rather than the EL34s. It will be a HUGE difference in your tone, and sounds like you may like it more.

Again I struggled with this EXACT problem years ago.
    Plus depending where you live, you can get all this done for under $150.

5. animalfarm

animalfarm Member

I'll give the OD3 a try then, the rat might indeed be too much dirt in a box. From what I read on this board, its a question of flavor between OD and tubescreamers

I play som custom Zion Strat. Don't know the exact model, all I know its got humbuckers in single coil format.

I bought it cus of the switchable fuzz oscillation - I actually plan to use it in a loop with a separate delay and a kaoss pad, kinda to get all noisy swirly stuff going when needed :)

I was actually considering selling it completely and getting a marshal JVM410H, or a Vox AC30. Not much knowledge bout boutique amps here... I just need a reliable one with a nice dirt channel.

Dual Rectifier I'd choose if had the money :-D

6. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Member

What about a Toneczar Dove or similar and use the expression pedal to control the amount of gain?

7. bsrguitar

bsrguitar Member

Guitar>Boss OD3>Boss CS3 (used as a boost)>JAM Rattler (Rat clone)>Amp input> loop out >Boss Dely&Reverb> Loop return.

I think distortion into a gain channel can quickly sound like murky crap, and also potentially hard to control. Same thing goes for delay into gain, so if your JCM900 has a loop, I would suggest using it for the reverb and delay. Boosts and most overdrives are generally prefered choices to push gain channels, IMO. If you laid them out like above, you should be able to get a large variety of stacked combinations at your disposal.

Fuzzes can be finicky, but old school Big Muffs are almost always fun.

Happy playing!

8. markplaysguitar

markplaysguitar Member

On the other hand, This Will Destroy You uses a rat... :crazy